Is Having a Miserable Job Worth the Money?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|3

Most Helpful Guys

• It would make sense if you have a conceivable goal to reach in the short or medium run, but in the long run no, trust me, money is a terrible metric for happiness/fulfilment.
    I made a good amount of money when I was living in Paris 2 years ago, worked 10 to 14h a day 6 or 7 days a week, barely saw my girlfriend at the time and was usually too tired to do anything when I managed to have a day off.

Eventually the stress and fatigue will make you spend more money, so you're basically replacing one problem with another.

Now I moved to London, have a humble 9 to 5 job that I really enjoy doing, and you know what? I'm not having dinner at the Eiffel tower twice a month, nor buying a car just cause I didn't like the colour of my current one, but I feel much much happier here, because no money can buy your freedom and peace of mind.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Ask the millionaires whove killed themselves or lost their families in divorce, or work so much they dont have time to enjoy what they have...

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• That depends on what you need the money for
    If you want it for something you just really want but don't actually need, I'd say it would be best to get another more loveable job
    If you need the money for health reasons, for a home, for college, or some other important reason, then I say the job is worth keeping.
    At least, until you've made enough money

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if it's on a temporary basis. It may be tolerable for a short while, but eventually it would drag a person down.

It would be bad enough if it was just a part-time job , but working full-time ,5 days a week, for most of your entire life would eventually have a detrimental effect on a person's psychological state if they didn't like, or enjoy their job

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 100

• It depends on the money. I like my job right now. I could probably get paid more for a job at a different, less flexible-to-my-medically-required-sleeping-habits company, but it wouldn't be worth it. However, if one of those companies were to offer me such an astonishing pay raise (say, over double my current salary with the same health coverage and bonuses and insurance benefits etc.), then I would certainly accept.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, without it you have no money.
    If you have the choice of "work a job you hate," or "decide whether you are paying your electric bill this month, or eating, cause you ain't doing both," most people will pick the job.
    The ones that don't deserve to go hungry.

1|0
    0|0
  • I taken many jobs just for the money even though I knew I wouldn't like it. I just wanted the perks that being a manager or senior executive or whatever title they gave. I did so my family could have the most I could give. I would do it again if the opportunity came up for me to move up.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are able to acquire financial freedom then the job is worth it. You'll be able to enjoy life on a much greater lvl than someone who's struggling to pay their bills.

2|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how much money. If I had to work less because of it then it may as well be worth it, but if I'm doing the usual 9-5 I'm not working a job that I despise unless it's temporary.

Work to live, not live to work

1|0
    0|0
  • It comes down to this for me
    What are the results of the work
    Am I working towards something and is that worth the misery such as a car or some other goal?
    Is their another prospect, do I have another job lined up?
    What responsibilities do I have, can I meet them without this job?

1|0
    0|0
  • Simple

1|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, although it may seem that way, money is not as important as happiness. If you have & work a miserable job, then you definitely aren't going to be happy and you're just going to end up miserable. It is always best to live & be happy, even if that means having to work for less.

1|0
    0|0
  • It may be worth the money for a time, to reach some goal. But it's not worth the money, to do it for long term.

1|3
    0|0
  • Do what makes you happy. Life is too damn short. Stress can cause so many health issues. So I get that you need money to live but there's a balance. You can always make money if you have the mindset and determination doing what you love. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Having a miserable job doesn't bring happiness, though at the same time study after study will show money doesn't bring happiness either. Bottom line: do what you love to do, regardless

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends how bad it is. Like if I’m going to come home everyday wanting to put a bullet in my head, then no. But if it’s bearable and not too extreme, then I’ll take good money. The job may be stressful, but being broke/living paycheck to paycheck is worse.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I tried explaining this to my friend when we were in college. Lo and behold he know says I'm right, but still has another couple years of being miserable.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd rather live under a bridge than make an actual effort to make myself miserable on a daily basis for something like money.

1|0
    0|0
  • considering any job can be enjoyed to an extent with the right attitude, and any job can be perceived as shitty, the only factual variable is the pay. I lean towards doing less enjoyable work for financial security and venturing into more enjoyable work as your finances allow it.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's something personal… if you car more about money than happiness…, success doesn't gives you happiness, happiness gives you success and success means different things for everybody

1|0
    0|0
  • It really just depends, if you have other options, and in what situation your life is, if you're living alone with no-one to depend on or having to take care of another human being I'd say hold off til a better opportunity presents it self. But if you have choices there is really no reason to put yourself in that situation no one should ever do things they don't want to unless there is something they are working to reach.

1|0
    0|0
  • As much as i hate to say the world runs on money and a well payed job can fund it.

They way i look at it its how you spend it and wbat you do with that makes up for the bad job.

1|0
    0|0
  • Can't say about other countries but in india, you have to except a job which you do not enjoy, i think once you shred the feeling of seeing a job as `misreable' you will enjoy your job after a period of time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well if it is a matter of survival then always.
    Past that if it leads to stressors and you can't or won't use the money in an efficient manner then no.

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 22

• I don't think so. I'd rather be happy and have a job I enjoy that doesn't pay as much than be miserable and have a job that pays a lot. If I were miserable, I would not have any motivation to go to work

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I'd take rich and miserable cause I'm already poor and miserable.

1|1
    0|0
  • Only if you want food otherwise you can live of your trust fund

1|0
    0|0
  • Not to me. The answer might differ if I had mouths to feed.

1|0
    0|0
  • If its the only option to make an income for some time yes (i mean try being homeless or starve for like 3 days then u see youd rather have money)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.
    "Mind over Money Matters."xxoo

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, been there done that.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends how much money.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe in living for the weekends

1|1
    0|0
  • I would much rather be happier with less money :)

1|1
    0|0
  • I won't torture myself for money

1|0
    0|0
  • To me it was until I cracked and give it up...

1|0
    0|0
  • short term yes. not for long term..

1|0
    0|0
  • No way

0|0
    0|0
  • No not really

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmm depends on how much u get paid per hr

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • If you need the money yes, and if the job can pay you enough for you to save up and start the career you really want yes. But of course not long term because a broken mind and spirit will have a hard time carrying the body.

1|0
    0|0
  • For a short period of time, yes. For life, no.

2|0
    0|0
  • No!! I worked at a miserable job only bc I was broke asf, and I regret it fully. You either won’t last, skip a lot of work days (leading to your suspension or worse), or simply will be more prone to depression, anxiety etc.

It’s just not worth it. Find a job that you enjoy.

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes