Have you ever applied to a job that you felt you weren't fit for?

I applied for a secretarial job at a Dentist Office.

I am qualified but the problem is I have CROOKED TEETH!!

Please share your experiences.
Updates:
5h
Well, turns out another girl filled the post since last week.

I heard from an inside source that he would give a call if the other girl doesn't work.

I didn't GET THE JOB YO...

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• I applied to a position as a sales rep for a marketing/advertising firm a while back and had no previous sales experience (I had worked as a cook for two years after getting into the workforce) and had never worn a tie to work before.
    I had an excellent 2-year-long career in sales that taught me tons about selling a product/service, advertising and handling the finances and business side of things and prepared me for my own company startup.
    Hell, I'm far from fucking qualified to run a company. Especially one in publishing, I went to University for psychology and I didn't even finish the damn course, I dropped out for this. There's no universe where I'm qualified as a publisher. But I know the industry because I learned it on my own prior to getting into it and I know the market because I worked it prior to getting into it as preparation.
    Qualifications don't mean fuck all if you don't know what you're doing. And qualifications alone can't get you to the place where you know what you're doing.

1|0
    0|0
  • Tell the Doc, that he/she can fix your teeth, and in exchange, they can document the transformation for a promotional video/commercial. When customers walk in and see you, they’ll know the commercial and his/her work is legit. Everybody wins.

3|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@MoskiWoski I love the way you think

• Not applies, but studying for at school.
    I'm a certified educator, a job where you're usually very outgoing, sociable, and around people a lot. This is the polar opposite of me, I'm introverted, hate being around people, and definitely not outgoing or social in the slightest.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@4pple sounds painful but I wish you all the best. @apple24 check this guy out. #twinning

• 6d

Lol, another apple?
      It's annoying because the direction already considered kicking me out just because I'm not outgoing enough, and the internships are terrible cause I have to always be social and talking to people, but it's ony one more year luckily, I'm just doing it for an easy diploma and in university I'll completely go in an other direction

• 5h

@4pple Yes another apple lol. Dont worry it would soon be over but for now stay focus and try to learn as much as you can for am sure this will come in handy later.

• I have applied for jobs I wasn't fit for. One of my ancestors became a train engineer with zero experience. He just lied about having the credentials and learned as he went. I feel you can pick up a lot on the job if you are observant. So I will apply to jobs where I don't fit.

I worked at lab without anything more than grade 11 chemistry.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@KAF87 thanks , I worked at a job too and it was one of the best jobs I have ever had.

• That's a great question and scenario! Good on you for having the guts to apply. I would suggest that if you get the interview, you say you'd be willing to do other jobs as well. a. k. a. wear a face mask and take x-rays, or dental hygienist assistant

In the end, only people with braces have really straight teeth. The quality of the teeth matters. Are they white and confident when you smile? I think that matters.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5h

@Sevenpointfive thanks for your input. My teeth are clean and strong but not straight.

• 5h

i'm sure you can find something. And that sucks that you didn't get it!

• 5h

@Sevenpointfive thanks and I will.

• Of course, all the time. That's the whole point. You should strive for jobs that challenge you and interest you. It's an opportunity to grow and become an integral part of a working team. If you only ever do what you've always done, you'll only ever get what you've always gotten.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its ok I dont find it a bad thing and plus you can use it for getting less expenses for doing your crooked teeth and that would be and advantage for you

1|0
    0|0
  • They don't want someone like that, they want someone with nice teeth.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@TShot How can you be so sure?

• Show All
    • 6d

Good luck, hope you get it

• 6d

@TShot thanks for your input.

• I mean it shouldn't matter. Not that this matters but I find little imperfections like that to be cute

1|0
    0|0
  • Not only have I applied, I even went as far as work a job that wasn't fir for me.
    At almost two years after college graduation and after countless unsuccessful applications for jobs in my field of study, I had just about given up searching for jobs in my field and instead just applied for any decently paying job. So I sent in the application, got an interview the next month and got the job on the spot. Now this was a heavy labor job at a large-scale venue that I did NOT want to do. But I put up with it because I needed the money.
    Only a month later, I got an e-mail asking me to interview for s job that IS in my field. So I gladly accepted and once again I got the job on the spot. I gladly accepted the position and also gladly left my previous job after only a month of working.
    So now I film horse races for a living.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Burgerboy21 and thats what you truly wanna do?

• Show All
    • 6d

Thank you!

• 5h

your welcome :)

• Ya I have done this. If they had not asked me if I had not told them something that they should know they told me sorry we dont want a dead employee in the first week of training. I applied for an electrician apperntace. Oh by the way I am colorblind. Is this a decline of a job due to a handycap or some one looking out for someone. I really like the later. I really wanted the job to face my fear of electric. Alas no job. But I still replace outlets and install ceiling fans and light fixtures. Ya I get zapped and will not do anything like that again for about a year.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@ColoradoKid Yea... no... that sounds dangerous. I hope you have a good insurance coverage though in the event that accidents happen. Maybe you need a different job. Something a little risk free.

• Show All
    • 5h

@ColoradoKid that sounds terrible. I get migraines like 2 or 3 times each week and I have no idea whats causing them. Im spending 1000 on tablets to healp but nothing is working. May we gain some insight to solutions to our health problems.

• 5h

help*

• On this day Aug 9 I was in an interview the company looked very enthusiastic somthing I dont show much, energetic somthing I can't really come out as. But as soon as the company said that I could move up the latter and somehow one day become manager I was hooked I wanted to take the position I set a goal and I start working Monday with my goal in mind challanging myself to sing up 5 people tha way I can't become assistant manager. In my eyes I am so unfit for this job but having a goal in mind somehow pushes me to want to take it and achieve the things the company offers dosnt I feel very unfit but I want to chase a goal and its pushing me to do the job I applied for.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@camlo777 This is very inspirational. Sounds like something I can look back and remember when I land a stable job. If I had to say where my misfortunes lie, its with jobs. I have strong work ethics, great with coworkers and bosses and very responsible towards my duties but I always end up losing them due to unfortunate circumstances. Life ain't Fair ya know.

• I mean unless they look like they got kicked by a horse you should be alright

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@tskeletor no they dont but thanks.

• I have did several times. Point is I am good enough to get better jobs every 2-3 years

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@JP_Man I waited 2 years and that was hard. I dont wanna wait another 2 years. I feel like life is passing me by.

• Show All
    • 5h

@JP_Man read my update. didn't get it.

• 3h

Was it not worth the shot? I mean you gotta try if you want a chance.

• No, but I am trying to graduate from a department I never wanted to. I guess that counts for all

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and it sucks worrying about what questions they are gonna ask and if you get the job whether it not you will be able to perform well enough to keep the job

1|0
    0|0
  • Almost every job makes itself sound more difficult or fancy than it really is. So the feeling is common

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I don’t have any work experience so ANY job will make me feel unqualified lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • And? It's a dentist not an orthodontist

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@usaf2018 But I do wonder sometimes.

• I'm a pacifist armed guard

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@TsubasaCorrupted how do you feel about that?

• Show All
    • 6d

It is. It's one of the few jobs out here paying more than 8$ an hour.
      If I can I will one day.
      Thank you!

• 6d

@TsubasaCorrupted I hear you ok be safe.

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• Not necessarily not a fit for, but I've always been a super fast learner and being raised by southern grandparents, I've mastered the art at bullshitting so if I didn't know something for a position, I made sure I damn well did come first day of the job. Dont defeat yourself before you even start. At my kids ortho office, I've seen people start working there looking like they had chiclets gum thrown in their mouths for teeth and end up with free or super low cost braces soon after they start.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5h

@Tiffany4JB thanks for your heartfelt advice. Anyways, another girl got the job but I understand from a source, if it doesn't work out with her then he will call me.

• Yes but a the Time, I needed the Money, honey.
    No Fear about your Teeth. Your new Job can Help You by even Working Out a payment Plan because you Work THERE, Ma'am.
    Good Luck. xx

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Paris13 thank you

• I worked at a convenience store for a year and a half but I don’t like people and my boss was very toxic to me. It wasn’t fun at all. I won’t get into details but I lived in a small town and customers thought they were entitled to everything.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

I was hired because they really needed more workers

• Show All
    • 6d

I’m trying. I already finished college but I can’t find a job in my field so I may have to go back to a retail/sales job for now

• 5h

k all the best @TsundereMatrix

• I have severe anxiety, and one of the things it's hard for me to do is talk on the phone (the only phone calls I normally answer are from my mom). My entire job is talking to people over the phone 😅

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@lexythelou22 wow that sounds like high blood pressure. lol. I wish you all the best still.

• Show All
    • 6d

Thank you 💕

• 5h

np :)

• I think it's great you could have a job at a dental practice. So congratulations there. I've seen many people with imperfect teeth at dental offices bbut the nice thing is that one you're employed there the dentist will probably give you free dental care or very low cost at least and you'll get to straighten your teeth ! I don't think the employer would dismiss... your application based on having crooked teeth. Now, if you said you were missing teeth if say they probably wouldn't hire you. But I think you're worried about something that people aren't likely to be very judgmental over. Good luck! I hope you get the job!

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Sbleigh Maybe I am over thinking it a bit. Thanks for your kind advice.

• I tried to get a job as a receptionist for a company that provides passports and visas to Russia and got called for an interview because my name is very Russian, but I don't speak any Russian so I just didn't show up.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@MeowMeowlnc You shouldve gone. Maybe someone there spoke English. I wish I could get called based on my name alone.

• I think its not problem. As long as that office didn't include any thing about teeth on their job description. Really if crooked teeth you can fix it anytime even after you start workin. Its ok

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Shenear thank you so much.

• Dont worry girl. If someone doesn't like it. They can stare at your tities instead of your crooked teeth ~ Cardi B

1|0
    0|0
  • That honestly doesn't matter! As long as your teeth aren't yellow and your gums are pink it doesn't matter

1|0
    0|0
  • If it’s an orthodontist office where they’re constantly putting braces on people then it would be kinda funny but if it’s just a dentist then I think the only thing that matters is that you’ve got clean teeth

1|0
    0|0
  • Hmmm it doesn’t matter. I do it for the money n plus it’s natural for me to take care of kids.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I been there for 12 years now

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@kitty71 How is that going?

• 6d

Im starting to get tired in the same job but at this moment there are no new jobs out there to apply

• 5h

@kitty71 hang in there

• Christian camp counselor bahahahaha

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@dangrlrr Tell me about this one.

• Yeah so what you’ll ge fine

1|0
    0|0
  • You shouldn't be working there I'm sorry

1|0
    1|0
  • What does your teeth have to do with it

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Anon Dentist may be Prejudice and only want people with perfect teeth working with him.

• Hahaha that’s funny but it’s good st the same time!
    My cousins girlfriend, was secretary assistant at dental office as well, and then she got her braces there! Now she has nice teeth.

Maybe you could get benefits and a letter deal as oppose to a regular patient. :)

Stay confident! Try your best to not seem intimidated or embarrassed to talk.. just be free, be you, and hopefully you’ll get some help there :)!

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

@Anon wow this is so inspirational. Thank you.

• Show All
    • 5h

@Anon I didn't get it tho. read my update

• 4h

Aww.. that’s unfortunate.. it wasn’t meant to be... keep trying elsewhere. And don’t ever feel less... always be optimistic and hopeful! wish best of luck in your job search! 🍀!!

• I feel like this for every job ever

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes