Which Gemanic language would you prefer to learn, and why?

• German
    Vote A
  • Dutch
    Vote B
  • Danish
    Vote C
  • Norwegian
    Vote D
  • Swedish
    Vote E
  • Icelandic
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• mein Gott, nur Deutsch. Es ist die einzige germanische Sprache, die ich fast sprechen kann :)

1|1
    1|0
    • ayyee ich auch 😃

• Show All
    • Yeah, it's probably the "easiest" to learn when you factor in prounuciation and the availability of materials.

• @logorithm for most people who don't speak german, they struggle most with pronunciation bc most of it deals with gutteral throat sounds that, if aren't developed at a young age with, say, speaking another language, usually can't be spoken well or at all well into adulthood.

Most Helpful Guys

• Swedish because I already speak it as my native language lol. Anyone voting Danish are in for a hell ride.

0|1
    0|0
    • And I can understand Norwegian (bokmÃ¥l) so no reason to learn it. I have Norwegian cousins so... Although nynorsk is another thing...

• Show All
    • I included words that are still used today😢

• Okay, weirdo, joke's aside, the Duden estimates about half a million "basic words" - no inflections, no uncommon compound nouns. However, it also knows that this number isn't a fair estimate because, say "Gärtnerfamilie" (a family who does gardening) will not be included, despite being a legitimate word that is being used in German.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 4

What Guys Said 15

• Dutch is my native language so i don`t have to learn that. Ik spreek het al elke dag hier in m`n land.

But i`m busy, or at least trying to learn Russian. Cos i want to travel to Russia for a weekend sometimes. Putin aside, as far as traveling over there goes and what not, i always hear great things, so yeah.

Would want to be able to speak russian when traveling there since they don`t speak a whole lot of English there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I already speak German and English, so I voted Dutch because it’s like mix of the two, somewhat intelligible when spoken, and easily readable when written.

1|1
    0|0
    • Since you speak Geman, Dutch isn`t going to be that difficult. German is like the broken verison of Dutch, or the other way around. I`m Dutch so yeah :)

• @Byakugan For the most part, it’s easy to read. I can generally get the gist of a conversation, but that’s about it.

• I already know Danish and German and can mostly understand Swedish and Norwegian so guess I am left with Dutch or Icelandic and I will definitely go with the latter as it is the closest living example of the proto norse language that the Scandinavian languages evolved from whereas Dutch while having a lot in common with German it is a more a hybrid language heavily influenced by other languages

0|1
    0|0
  • Basic German is probably the most useful out of those. I will take that.

1|1
    0|0
  • Icelandic so I can read the eddas in their original language. At least somewhat.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dutch, because that'd be the least effort (I already know a franconian language).

0|1
    1|0
  • English because its my heritage plus I live in the Anglo-sphere

0|1
    0|0
  • Afrikaans is very close to dutch and i already am fluent in that, so Dutch..

0|1
    0|0
  • Deutschland Uber Alles

0|1
    2|0
  • German! I have many German friends.

0|1
    0|0
  • I already speak Dutch and German

0|1
    0|0
  • Icelandic

0|1
    0|0
  • nope

0|1
    0|0
  • Dutch I guess.

0|0
    1|0
  • German, because it is spoken by the most people, and I already speak fairly good German. by the way English is a Germanic language, but many people don't realize that, so I guess that's why it's not on your list.

0|1
    1|0
    • 7d

It's not on there because it's assumed everyone answering this question already speaks it

Recommended myTakes