Is social anxiety a good reason to drop out of high school?

I’m turning 16 on the 23rd of this month. That’s the dropout age.
Plus I’m failing gym and everything else. There’s no way I could catch up. I’d have to do another year.
But then I’d have to get a job or my parents said they’ll kick me out. I don’t want to get a job that requires human interaction. And my plan to make money online got ruined and I don’t have the motivation to start over.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I’m gonna be a transcriptionist
Thanks guys

My parents enrolled me in online school today ahah. They’re actually paying for it ❤️

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• if my anxiety were as bad as it is today back when i went to high school, i would be truant. i don't know how bad yours is, but get some help. i truly hope the world has moved into a more extenuating circumstances scenario, where you can be in school but learn it yourself at home.

tbh i learned very little in high school. too much distraction, no motivation.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm in the exact same predicament as you... My social anxiety is so bad that I just didn't know how I will survive... There's no way I could get a job with this amount of social anxiety and school was a fucking strain... But somehow I managed to get myself on job seekers allowance... Which is my only way if supporting myself right now.. hopefully they never stop my money... If they do.. well then I guess I'm fucked... I'll have to become homeless and live in a tent or something... Our lives suck man

1|1
    0|0
    • It's kinda nice tho to see I'm not the only 1 with social anxiety this bad that it severely fucks up our life... I thought I was the only 1 lol..❤️.. I wish I could like... Come down to you and give you a big hug and jus like... Take you away from all this... You know... Take care of you... Make sure you never have to worry about ending up on the streets... Id like... get a job and let you live in my house for free... and I'd give you some money every now n then ❤️❤️❤️
      Too bad though my social anxiety wouldn't allow me to do that lol

• ❤️❤️

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• Everyone who was ever a teenager suffered through some kind of social anxiety. Grow up, go to school. In the mean time, start learning to code and animate - make your own Flash/Unity games and get good at it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Listen, and I'll say this with some tough love. Success in life is going to require you to be uncomfortable. You're not going to like doing a lot of things, but as you do them you expand your comfort zone.

The comfort zone is either shrinking or expanding. It is never the same and it changes every day. Every job, no matter what it is, will require you to interact with people. I was working from home and still had to work with people in some way. Do the thing you hate and it will make you great.

If you allow weakness into your life it will spread into everything else that you do. When you feel like quitting anything, go a bit further, push a bit more. Demand the best of yourself or else excuses will cause you to fail everything. That's not an exaggeration, I seriously mean everything.

You're only 16 and you're trying to quit already! You haven't even REALLY gotten started! As for your parents, they have some nerve! I can't understand the psychology of a parent who would put out their own flesh and blood, especially seeing the world as it is now and also when they know their child has no experience in life. Anyway...

Motivate yourself or be miserable. The choice is always yours.

1|0
    0|0
  • What does dropping out of school do for you?

It teaches you that when things are hard to quit. And if you think school is hard then you're gonna really hate the real world of work, responsibilities, and life's regular traumas.

Anxiety is completely fixable. I've suffered from horrible panic attacks over the years, in small bouts of 8months and less. And my recovery happened almost over night each time. So I can promise you it's something any one can overcome.

Anxiety is a strange beast. The more you try to fight it, or ignore it, the worse it gets. Have you ever heard of Chinese Finger Cuffs? You stick your fingers in each end and then when you try to pull your fingers out the device grips your fingers even harder.

The only way to overcome the finger cuffs is to push your fingers INTO the device more, with is the exact opposite of what our instincts tell us.

Anxiety is exactly the same. As is all growth.

When we avoid, ignore, or seek escape from the hard things, the worse they get. And the worse we feel about ourselves. Because each time we pretend things aren't bad, the worse we feel.

Anxiety is the friction our unconscious mind creates. Because our unconscious mind knows when we have things undone... and it's our fear that we're not going to be able to handle what comes next.

The FIX for anxiety is easier said than done.

We first address every tiny thing we have left undone. From making our bed in the morning, to sending those emails we were too scared to send, to having those scary conversations with our parents, to talking to our teachers about the projects we didn't finish yet, to asking for help from a councillor or doctor.

You'd discover that as you accomplish the list of "undone" items in your life, the anxiety your unconscious mind is juggling will drop dramatically.

Basically, the fastest method of anxiety recovery is to accept the feelings, accept the fear, accept the panic, and do those things anyway.

I mean, it's like this... you're going to be full of fear whether you walk into that room full of people, and when it's over the fear will be replaced with a rush of relief and pride.

But when you avoid the room of people you're left with the same fear, for the rest of your life, and your self esteem will erode each time you run away and you let your fear make your choices for you.

So be scared and horrified for a minute, and then filled with relief and self esteem... or just live with debilitating fear for the rest of your life.

This is such an easy choice on paper.

Know this... everybody in school is as scared as you, but each person has tabled that fear differently. Some, with high self esteem, have accepted the fear and then let it go because they know they have to get things done. Others have tried to avoid the fear and then find themselves not getting anything done.

Don't ever make decisions to avoid fear. Make decisions to better yourself.

Because when you're 20 all you're going to have in this world is yourself. You are your own best friend. So help that best friend find herself, love herself, and trust herself. And she can only do that by doing those scary things, and accomplishing those impossible tasks.

If you can fall hard on your face for a year, while trying to learn how to walk (and never ever giving up) then you can pretty much do anything. Just be willing to fall hard on your face more.

The process sucks, but the goals are worth it.

And educate yourself on self esteem.

A great book that just came out is called can't HURT ME. Read it!!

~ Robby
    (my blog http://relaxyouredying.com )

1|0
    0|0
  • Its not good to drop out of high school as it could mean a lot of opportunities might be closed to you. I know it is difficult but if there is a way to manage through it until you at least get your grades. That'll be the best option.

You will have more options available and opportunity to build your life. Jobs that require solitude are proportionally low, jobs generally require dealing with people. Even then some sort of training is required.

My cousin had social anxiety she was sent to see a psychologist, as they didn't want to put her on any medication because of side effects. She went there for 10 weeks and learned to manage her social anxiety. I think it was CBT.

You can try Orthomolecular Medicine a lot of psychological issues can be due to specific nutritional deficiency, in this case likely serotonin deficiency. The Mood Cure by Julia Ross is a good start. There are other books too.
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=nb_sb_noss

EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is very effective at dealing with emotional issues.
    https://www.eftuniverse.com/index.php

You should also meditate it will help. Eating healthy balanced diet is also important.

There are also Kundalini Yoga exercises that can help with anxiety.
    www.theinternetyogi.com/...ky-ocd-article-2003.pdf
    www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

You can also try affirmations, hypnosis and NLP can also help.

1|0
    0|0
  • HONEY.. Please dont drop out.. you life will be seriously hampered. get help about your SA.. Don't quite , an extra year sound incredibly long. BUT i promise you it is not.. And F'n worth the time.. Don't fall down, your will be ok!

1|0
    0|0
  • You don’t really need to be social in anyway to pass high school. I even have it too so I know you can do it.

1|0
    0|0
    • I have to sit in a class full of people. That’s enough.

• True but you don’t really need to talk to anyone. Group projects are one thing but what helped me was that I don’t have to come up with a conversation topic. The project is the only one I need to talk about.

• It sound like your having some problems however dropping out is the solution to nothing.

It's too bad that you seem like you already have made your decision. "There is no way I could catch up. I'd have to do another year"
    The only reason why you would be unable to catch up is your not trying.

Your not the only one at your high school with issues.

Are you stupid? Dropping out=proves you are. Stay in school=proves your not stupid

1|0
    0|0
  • Learn the following words because you'll be repeating them quite often.

"Welcome to McDonalds, how may i help you?"
    "I'm really tired of cleaning these toilets"
    "Oh God why was I so stupid when I was younger"

1|0
    0|0
  • I would suggest not dropping out but look at other options. Maybe homeshool, or online school.

1|0
    0|0
    • Homeschool is a no, online school would be 500 a month, 3000 something dollars in total and I’m not asking that of my parents

• No. What you are proposing is to run away from your problems, rather than facing it. Social Anxiety cannot be solved by anyone but you. If you don't decide to face it, then why should anyone help you?

1|0
    0|0
  • You need to get help and stay in school you can do it another year isn't that bad you don't want to end up homeless or as a prostitute life is not easy but you can do it ik that you can do it with the right help

1|0
    0|0
  • There is no reason to drop off. It's hard and you'll have to do it. Because that's how you get more possibilities of jobs. If you want to have the luxury of choosing your job, you have to finish school.

1|0
    0|0
  • No... you've gotta learn how to interact with people eventually, and all jobs have some amount of socializing.

1|0
    0|0
  • No and i hate school andhonestly couldn't care about my grades and i still say no to this

1|0
    0|0
  • Social anxiety is actually serious but it is your job to fix it instead of just letting it be.

1|0
    0|0
  • No but you'll probably need to seek therapy for that situation that you're in

1|0
    0|0
  • No, get over your fears or you might regret it later.

1|1
    0|0
  • You'd be running away from your problems at that point. Face your problems head on and you'll grow from it. Wish I learned this at a younger age. I had to go to a continuation high school in the hood because I was getting in fights as a teenager. They told me I'd have to go to this school and it knocked me back and I wasn't going to graduate on time. I looked into programs and found out there's such a thing as accelerated credit for struggling students. I utilized that to get ahead, and went back to my old high school just to graduate.

Humans need to socialize to feel content in themselves. You can't avoid it. You need to work on your issue rather than deciding to isolate yourself. You're really young so you actually have really great odds to overcome this. Talk to your parents about therapy and just work on yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Come on bruh

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a good reason to get therapy.

1|0
    0|0
    • I had therapy. All we did was play scrabble.

• Show All
    • And you don't see how that's a recipe for rape?

• I was joking when I said the “the men she brings home” part

• no..

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes just become a Thot, it's easier

1|0
    0|0
  • No, go to school and stop making excuses

1|0
    0|0
  • Can you talk to a high school counselor about this? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

1|0
    0|0
    • Not about dropping out. We talked about my anxiety in general but the stuff they offered still wasn’t good enough. I’d still have to be around people cowering in a corner and staring at the desk the whole time.

• Show All
    • I had therapy for a little and all we did was play scrabble.

• I was gonna start in school counseling but I just don’t go anymore.

What Girls Said 14

• I feel like you dropping out won't change anything. I have social anxiety too! For me I want to somehow overcome my anxiety. I don't know if you have the same intentions. But dropping out means you're avoiding the issue. Face your anxiety. Not only do I think dropping out isn't the answer, but I also think you'll miss out making friends and learning. So it's a no for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • How about you just find a way to take online classes for high school? I have social anxiety and depression and I’m about to graduate college! You can do it too!!!

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I found a cheap online school today. I asked my mom about it on the phone and she hung up.

• Don't you'll regret it. I can get really bad anxiety at times, but I'd rather deal with that than dropping out of school because you need a diploma these days to survive. I know it's hard but you gotta keep trying. Some family members on my dad's side dropped out of high school and for one them it was anxiety too and he regrets it

1|0
    0|0
  • Do online school, I do.
    Same thing as public school but virtual. You get a diploma too.

1|0
    0|0
    • There’s no public online school here. Only the private ones are available and it’s 4000 dollars.

• No. I have social anxiety and i still go everyday it’s hard but that’s life

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Terrible reason. College will be way better. I had social anxiety in middle school. I conquered it when I was 15, but I still remember how it feels.

1|0
    0|0
  • No that´s not a good reason to do that, You have to work on yourself. Get help and don´t just do nothing. That will and won´t work. I overcame my mental illness and now I have a high paying job thanks to my good education. I work on myself everyday.

1|0
    0|0
  • You're anxiety won't get better when you're broke and homeless

2|0
    0|0
    • exactly. You're 16 and your parents are literally legally obliged to take care of you and make sure you go to school, repeat the year or do your best not to fail. Life is hard, but at the end of 5he day its your choice what you do

• Okay drop out.
    And then what? What are you going to do with your life without even the basic education?

1|0
    0|0
  • if you can't find a way to make it through high school, you won't be able to make it in the real world. Seek therapy

1|0
    0|0
  • How do you fail gym?

1|0
    0|0
  • There is no reason to destroy your life

1|0
    0|0
  • Got to school bum.

0|0
    1|0
  • DO NOT GIVE UP!
    You can do this. You need to set up a plan to tackle your anxiety and then to catch up on school. Try going to a psychiatrist to figure out treatment and set up a plan to finish school, even if it's a semester late

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes