Do you agree with this piece of advice my dad gave me today?

He said nobody is stupid

Everybody operates with each other on the basis of merit and merit is not something that you can pretend to have

Of course he was speaking in an academic context

What he means is that pure intelligence or pure hard work is not enough

You need a combination of unique intellectual skills and also discipline and hard work and it is only by being better than others that you can receive a higher grade than others a

Nobody succeeds by accident - there are always reasons one person is more successful than another

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Its a valid point, I've seen Phd's who can't and don't apply what they know... lack practical skills, maybe willingness to take risk.

regarding your other post on healing people, I saw a video that almost says it is science that it does work and explains it. pm me or ask and I'll forward.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• I agree with him that intelligence + conscientiousness = merit, but I disagree with him that there are no individuals who have insufferably low IQs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry but no. I've met really stupid people before. We're all ignorant of something and a lot of people are ignorant of others right to exist. I'd call them stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say he seems to to mixing two thoughts. Of course, I agree with the summation, but I'm still a bit perplexed as to how that directly relates to the opening sentence. Some people can be outright stupid, meant in the context that they couldn't reason their way into a paper bag. But I digress -
    First, we have knowledge. Amassing a pile of factoids- knowledge- is OK, but doesn't mean a whole bunch if you can't DO something with them. Wisdom- or intelligence, if you will- is APPLYING the knowledge in some sort of useful manner. So, we get this humorous example-
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing NOT to put one on a fruit salad".

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry to contradict your dad but some are stupid beyond belief.

0|1
    0|0
  • Except for ones that get rich the old fashioned way, inheritance

0|0
    0|0
  • Can't argue with your dad. He sounds wise and pragmatic. I can't help but agree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your dad is a very wise man!

0|0
    0|0
  • There are stupid people.

0|0
    0|0
  • sounds right to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely correct✅

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• -there are those who succeed by accident
    -there are those who are not as intelligent but have good people skills that are successful
    -there are those who are really smart academically but have no social skills and no emotional intelligence that fails in life
    -There are some people who are just plain stupid (you can watch shows on stupid criminals)
    -everyone has different morals, that does not mean that their morals are correct...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes