Would it be awkward to read a book written by a male in a females perspective and vice versa?

For example, a male writing a book in a females point of view.

Or a female writing a book in a males point of view.

And they are love novels. Has anybody ever read a book like that before?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Not really. I assume you're talking about first person POV.

I don't find this awkward or confusing.

If the writer is a different sex from the protagonist in a first person pov, they should, on the first page, provide you with enough clues and other story devices to help you figure out whether the protagonist is a man or woman. And, using a variety of writing methods, assist in cementing the protagonist's sex in the reader's mind.

Of course, most people will have picked this up by reading the synopsis , but a good writer will always ensure that there's no confusion - unless of course, the protagonist's identity or sex is meant to be a secret. I haven't read a story that features that, but I have read stories where the protagonist (A) cannot speak or (B) is somehow mysterious and silent and you don't get to "hear" the protagonists' inner voice.

Both men and women can, and often do, write protagonists that are the opposite sex from themselves. Whether they succeed or not depends on the individual writer's ability and experience. Obviously, not all are good at doing so.

For example, a woman writing from the POV of a man, and who goes on to write that man as someone who notices every single detail of a person's attire and behavior - when that man works as an offshore oil rigger - obviously, something is off.

Or the male writer who writes his women characters exactly like he does his male characters, only difference being they have breasts.

I've read many good writers who CAN write protagonists of the opposite sex. So they are out there, for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah. Lots of authors write from the POV of characters who don't share their gender or race or whatever. A GOOD author can make it sound believable and relatable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Male authors are bad at writing female characters and vice versa. That's just how it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Harry Potter...

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

That’s a third person story?

• 4d

3rd person omniscient, and the main focus is always on Harry, it doesn't switch to any other character (except flashbacks)

Recommended myTakes