What were the most useful things you learned in school?

What skills or knowledge learned in school you found to be useful in real life?
I'd love it if you'd mention something apart from the really basics skills like writing, reading and basic math. You can also mention what you thought would be useful to teach, that they don't at the moment.

I would say cooking, cleaning, how taxes work and foreign languages (which often had some cultural lessons as well). What were the most useful things you learned in school?

1844

Most Helpful Guys

• Short answers...

Statistics, experimental design, economics, personality psych, bio psych, Spanish, scuba diving, does traveling abroad count?, ... oh and never fucking have a committed relationship your entire college career.

I had such a relapse, I was hanging around literally 3 different colleges while I was struggling to not be shitty as a salesman. Or maybe 3x College Life was medication for becoming a salesman. Who knows? My knowledge came in handy once I stopped trying to work for other people though. Funny enough know what actually gave me that initial spark?

Digital Theory from the perspective of some fartsy Media Comm type of edumacations. The idea came to me while ignoring someone drone on:

Digitization of media means that you, the user, can alter and change literally any single point of data within that (song, movie, etc) and fix it. I went home and cut out half a song because I hated the 2nd portion. I guess I also learned to edit music from that program, though I never was taught how to do anything technical in a fucking Media program. Until I went to Asia. Asian taught me media in a semester. And it was mostly because I wanted to make friends and not suck at my job. School was nearly useless for that.

• The Finnish education system has consistently been ranked among the top 5 education systems in the world so I'm very sure you got a very, very well-rounded education in school.

I personally would love it if education systems around the world taught children how to manage their money responsibly. Too many young people around the world are drowning in debt, spending money they don't have. "Sensible Frugality 101" could be an eye-opening course for children of all ages.

Most Helpful Girls

• Almost everything I learned was useful one way or another. I would say learning how to study and really push through and finding out what you're interested in are the most important things I learned. I'm still in uni though so I'm still learning.

I feel like critical thinking should be more implemented at highschool already. Especially in a world with a lot of fake news, we need to think more critically.

I don't completely agree with your foreign languages. I've had 3 at highschool. English, French, German and Dutch ofcourse and English and Dutch are important, but I NEVER use French or German. I had 6 years of French classes because it's obligated to do an extra foreign language next to English. I feel like that was a real waste of time.

• See, the issue with the public education where I'm from is that many courses that I personally feel should be considered as compulsory are not - classes like finance, ecology, interpersonal skills, food and nutrition... were all selective courses during my highschool years. That I feel could have opened skills and horizons of applicable knowledge to me.

The most useful subjects in which I have taken that have been of help to me now are probably biology, chemistry, food and nutrition as it aided me for my field in nursing.