What were the most useful things you learned in school?

What skills or knowledge learned in school you found to be useful in real life?
I'd love it if you'd mention something apart from the really basics skills like writing, reading and basic math. You can also mention what you thought would be useful to teach, that they don't at the moment.

I would say cooking, cleaning, how taxes work and foreign languages (which often had some cultural lessons as well). What were the most useful things you learned in school?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Short answers...

Statistics, experimental design, economics, personality psych, bio psych, Spanish, scuba diving, does traveling abroad count?, ... oh and never fucking have a committed relationship your entire college career.

I had such a relapse, I was hanging around literally 3 different colleges while I was struggling to not be shitty as a salesman. Or maybe 3x College Life was medication for becoming a salesman. Who knows? My knowledge came in handy once I stopped trying to work for other people though. Funny enough know what actually gave me that initial spark?

Digital Theory from the perspective of some fartsy Media Comm type of edumacations. The idea came to me while ignoring someone drone on:

Digitization of media means that you, the user, can alter and change literally any single point of data within that (song, movie, etc) and fix it. I went home and cut out half a song because I hated the 2nd portion. I guess I also learned to edit music from that program, though I never was taught how to do anything technical in a fucking Media program. Until I went to Asia. Asian taught me media in a semester. And it was mostly because I wanted to make friends and not suck at my job. School was nearly useless for that.

0|0
    0|0
  • The Finnish education system has consistently been ranked among the top 5 education systems in the world so I'm very sure you got a very, very well-rounded education in school.

I personally would love it if education systems around the world taught children how to manage their money responsibly. Too many young people around the world are drowning in debt, spending money they don't have. "Sensible Frugality 101" could be an eye-opening course for children of all ages.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Almost everything I learned was useful one way or another. I would say learning how to study and really push through and finding out what you're interested in are the most important things I learned. I'm still in uni though so I'm still learning.

I feel like critical thinking should be more implemented at highschool already. Especially in a world with a lot of fake news, we need to think more critically.

I don't completely agree with your foreign languages. I've had 3 at highschool. English, French, German and Dutch ofcourse and English and Dutch are important, but I NEVER use French or German. I had 6 years of French classes because it's obligated to do an extra foreign language next to English. I feel like that was a real waste of time.

0|0
    0|0
  • See, the issue with the public education where I'm from is that many courses that I personally feel should be considered as compulsory are not - classes like finance, ecology, interpersonal skills, food and nutrition... were all selective courses during my highschool years. That I feel could have opened skills and horizons of applicable knowledge to me.

The most useful subjects in which I have taken that have been of help to me now are probably biology, chemistry, food and nutrition as it aided me for my field in nursing.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Maybe trig, discrete math, and physics. I use those a lot in my work. I also loved visual arts and music theory although I haven't found the most practical application in my life. Still, I enjoy those things a lot. They have a practical purpose in keeping me happy at the very least.

0|1
    0|0
  • Probably by far the most important thing I've ever learned in high school is self independence. I used to be scared to make decisions on my own and had pretty much 0 self esteem or confidence in myself. I've learned how to handle difficult things and deal with nasty/difficult people on my own as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't rank them, how useful some idea is depends on how hard I think about it.

Here's an example, a friend of mine graduated and had to look for a place to stay outside of the campus. After awhile she finally found a small four bedroom apartment in SF, around $4,000 a month, convenient location. And she would live with three other students she doesn't know well to save on rent. They have trouble deciding who would get which bedroom. The bedrooms have different features. If they divide the rent evenly three of them will always want the same room (lol). Dividing based on floor areas (which are roughly the same) or their income didn't make sense either.

So I told them they should draw a triangulated tetrahedron (on a computer of course), from one face it should look like this What were the most useful things you learned in school? , label each vertex with different price division. Starting at the center (1000, 1000, 1000, 1000) suppose every one picks the first room, the next will be (1750, 1000, 1000, 250), etc. at each vertex they need to think real hard about which room they want given the prices, they may pick the same room as the others as long as they truly want it and when they reach something like (4000, 0, 0, 0) they would pick the room with 0 rent of course. By the discrete version of fixed point theorem they will arrive at a vertex where everyone would pick different rooms. And no one wanted to swap their room and price for someone else. I'd say this is a pretty dank application of combinatorial topology (of course there are some details that I skipped here, but the basic idea comes from a theorem of that class)

I think schools should teach kids 50% math and 50% how to make the computer do that math. Very useful skill :))

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned all sorts of weird things at school, my brain rememberd things strangely so it stored little pieces of info here and there from different lessons and compiled it into what I know now. One thing it did teach me what creative writing because I love writing fantasy worlds and school helped me learn to do that. It also taught me how to be more confident around others so that's useful too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mechanical Engineering, trig, physics, calculus, CAD. I use some elements of each every day at work. Oh, English, public speaking skills from my Mom who is a high school English teacher. She made sure my brothers and I could speak in public.

0|0
    0|0
  • Friendship, economys and English
    History, Biology and IT were interesting but I don't really use that now
    Math and German that we did in school was so fucking unnecessary
    And well taxes and like common laws and regulations that exist here would have been useful for me and I wouldn't had to deal with few problems and wouldn't pay off debts right now

0|0
    0|0
  • Mathematics.

I don't use it to cook my dinner or to get the house work done, I use it as a source of enjoyment, fulfillment, recreation, intellectual stimulus, and in the future, a source of income. Although its logic and analytical skills are transferrable to other areas, I just study it cause its fun. Hence I consider it to be the most useful thing I learned in school.

0|0
    0|0
  • In highschool I learned a bit of carpentry and how to wire some basic electrical stuff, in college of course I've learned a lot more relating to the profession I plan on going into, as well as public speaking skills among other things.

0|0
    0|0
  • The most essential must be the basics, such as reading, writing and a little bit of the devil him self AKA math. The rest was stuf i never really got through using much of.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing besides the basics in this prison that we call school

What were the most useful things you learned in school?What were the most useful things you learned in school?

0|0
    0|0
  • Basic socialization. Writing. Reading. Speaking. Basic math. Even some advanced math I use fairly regularly. Spread sheets. Swimming. Time management. Work ethic. Typing. Coding (#learn2code). Following current events. Researching. I'm sure there are more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Shut up.
    Shut the fuck up.
    SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU PATHETIC PEASANT!
    Authorities do NOT care about justice.
    There is not a single transgression that connections can't get you out of being punished for.
    I do not matter. You do not matter. Only the masters matter, and they don't set foot in this piss-hole.

0|0
    1|0
  • In my high school was for learning disabilities student we learn about online safety that should every school should have. Did first aid classes. I use math now because I work in garden centre & use English to write down on personalities sheets for cats. One they should teach other schools that people do have a learning disabilities. They do exist.

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned color... race doesn't categorize... but culture and parents. I learned to be comfortabke w other race. Typing on typewriter.

0|0
    0|0
  • As you say apart from the basics. My general knowledge means i can enjoy quiz programmes on the telly. The only thing I have ever used after school is if a solution has a white precipitate it is acidic and needs and Alkali. this helped me with photographic chemsistry once. other than that we learn career skills properly at college and Uni

0|0
    0|0
  • Basic math, reading and writing, taxes/finance. That's all everyone needs to get through life, everything else is just excessive. Kids go through so much in school, it's terrible

0|0
    0|0
  • That it was a waste of time and to homeschool my own children. 12 years of English, Math, Science, and I’m still confused about them all. It teaches people to be test takers and to be poor. Why doesn’t it teach us taxes?

1|0
    0|0
  • In high school: typing, personal finance and English

In college: data structures and public speaking

0|1
    0|0
  • Accounting, sewing, homemaking, basic math, science, English, history, using the typewriter, reading, writing cursive/print and many more

0|0
    0|0
  • Maths
    Science
    History and geography.

Beside i also learnt games, exercises, music, skits, community importance, many morals (which i didn't realise then).

0|0
    0|0
  • Let's see, what were the most useful things I learned?

The bell rang to go home at 3:30

School was out for the weekends

School was out for the summer Christmas Thanksgiving and Easter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Aside from the deep topics of your particular study
    —> To be better at critically thinking about stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • Well loved cooking class, Homec class, Loved learning how to write checks and learn how to save money, Debate class was good

0|0
    0|0
  • how to cope with anxiety and stress. also how to hide and masturbate quietly

0|0
    0|0
  • The teacher gets paid whether we learn or not. That was like their mantra. 🖤💜

0|0
    0|0
  • The most useful thing I have learned in school is that I'm good at arts and language, but bad / uninterested in everything else.

The purpose of primary education is not to teach, but to help young people determine what they want to do with their life.
    I'm against things such as cooking, cleaning and taxes being taught in schools, those are basic skills that should be taught by the parents.

I would personally want to see more astronomy, technology (and computer science), life sciences (human physiology and evolutionary biology), psychology and sociology (including law and economics) to be taught in schools at a basic level.
    While I personally believe history and literature are the least useful classes in primary and secondary education and should definitely take a backseat and only be covered sparsely.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sneezing or coughing makes people forget what they asked you... I wasn't the best student. By that I mean I did some dumb shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • K-12: English, Social Studies (government, history, etc.), finance. Those prepared me for my Poli-Sci and now law school.

0|0
    0|0
  • honestly nothing especially the useless stuff i learned i could have learned easily at home with a little help from google

0|0
    0|0
  • Typing. And they hadn't even invented computers yet. ;)

0|1
    0|0
  • Algebra, Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra. Programing.
    Most important probably learning how to read User Manuals

0|0
    0|0
  • Elementary school stuff. How to read, write, rudimentary math oh and playing my cello.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry, but apart basic (reading, writing, math) i can't think of something useful i've learned at school.

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned to think for myself and question commonly accepted knowledge.

0|0
    0|0
  • Calculus. I think that’s very useful because of how it handles infinities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mathematics, History and English. Sewing was my worst
    I remember school

0|0
    0|0
  • Dancing & art, I took dancing classes in high school, I sooooo loved it that I watched dancing TV shows, MTV, VH1 & dancing movies (I learned how to dance by watching TV😜) Dancing was a big part of my life, I took more dance classes at my mom’s work (she owed a preschool & there was a dancing teacher there, she was actress too.) I was always dancing in my teens - my 30s, I dance some in my 40s to lose weight.
    I took art in high school too, I took cartoon classes too, later in high school, I took art classes. I learned how to use computer.

0|0
    0|0
  • I learned that people can be a**holes and I need to watch my back before I become their b*tch.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing really. The America education system is trash

0|0
    0|0
  • Most things have come to good use in one way or another, I'd say. Ofcourse, the most useful things are what I use in daily life.. I'm a game developer, so maths, physics, a general overview of history and politics, etc.

I think what helped me most were my hobbies though! Couldn't have become a good game developer if I didn't have a passion for playing games! 😁

I learned English before I got the subject in class, but refining it is ofcourse useful.

They could've started teaching object orientated design patterns in highschool, that would be great, but ofcourse not for everyone 😜

0|0
    0|0
  • Judo, not to trust someone in an authority just cos they are in a suite- your kid is a kid

0|0
    0|0
  • How to interact with people but now I am Home Schooled.

0|0
    0|0
  • Public speaking and making good decision

0|0
    0|0
  • Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!

0|0
    0|0
  • Social skills.

0|0
    0|0
  • English.

0|0
    0|0
  • reading and writing

1|0
    0|0
  • Reading, writing and later on in HS French.

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly learned way more after finishing school

0|0
    0|0
  • Science
    Woodworking

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes