Is encouraging a Black worker to apply to a lower position rather than a promotion racist?

I am Black. I have a graduate degree. I have worked in local, state, federal government. Also the private sector.

I work as a trainer at a company. After 2.5 years I sought a promotion to Case Manager. I tried to network with a person currently in the position.

The current Case Manager tried to intimidate me. Talked about how the job was so hard. Then kept repeatedly saying that other trainer positions were open. But the whole meeting was to talk about the case manager job.
Yes
Sketch
No
Vote C
GirlGuy
1 mo
Just an update. I applied for the job and never got a call back. I believe she spoke to her boss and told her not to hire me. I was more qualified and more educated. I had a graduate degree and had worked in the company 2 years. I had been promoted as well.

In the end, I applied for a higher ranking position than her. It was a higher level case management position. I never told her or anyone. I got hired. Its my current position.
1 mo
Just to be clear. What happened was that I was randomly meeting with a Case Manager in a different division. She never worked with me. Knew nothing about my skills. I was just meeting her to learn about the position. She wasn't in charge of hiring me.
1
3