Do you think it’s okay for someone to refuse to fill in for a coworker for mental health reasons?

TsundereMatrix
I work part time in retail. I struggle with social anxiety and I am very introverted. I am currently looking for a better job that I would be most comfortable doing which is 3D Animation (less people to deal with and I get to be creative). Working in retail is very hard on my mental health. I don’t like people getting angry with me for things out of my control and I just simply don’t like seeing so many people at once but it’s the only job I can get right now. I work 3 days a week and that’s good enough for me.

I work with another lady who is our full time employee. She works the 4 days that I have off. For some reason, she keeps wanting to take an entire month off a few times a year. That means I would have to work 5 days a week for a month. When I first started my job, I was asked to work a whole month because she asked for the month off. I decided to give it a shot and was absolute hell on my mental health which also affected me physically. I nearly stopped eating, I was grumpy, depressed and complained about my body hurting from standing all day. On my days off I did nothing but sleep and nothing in my life got done that month. At the end of the month when my coworker returned, I told my manager that it was too much for me and I don’t want to do that again.

But now my coworker is asking for next month off and if I get asked to work her shifts again including my own, I am refusing. What irritates me is that I have asked her to fill in one day shift for me a few times before. Just one. And she refuses. So if she can’t even work for one day in my place, then why should I be obligated to work an entire month for her? I also don’t get why my work just doesn’t hire more people.

I’m working on a 3D art and 3D animation portfolio to get the job I want. If I’m mentally drained, then I have no motivation to work on it and then I get depressed that I can’t get anything done. I’m definitely working in a field that is not meant for me but I have no choice at the moment.
5 mo
I googled labour laws in my area and it states employees can have up to 2 weeks off. Doesn’t say anything about a entire month.
5 mo
Just got a message saying that coworker has quit and now I have no choice but to work her hours until they hire someone else. I hate my life.
8
1