Is there a difference between having criminal charges dropped and having them dismissed?

Exorcist_Rampage
I heard someone mention this at my friend's dad's trial for tax evasion about a month ago and meant to ask it but had other questions on my mind, so am placing it now before it moves too far along down my list of questions.

They didn't have full evidence and the arresting officer handled it improperly and make technical mistakes processing it which means it doesn't matter if he was found guilty or not guilty later.

I am curious if there is a difference. Here is my stance from what I've been told:

If charges are dropped, it can be reopened after a period of time if it doesn't violate the statute of limitations but if charges are dismissed, it means the case is officially thrown out and shredded like paper in a shredder would be. Is this true or false? Please explain this better!
There is a difference
There is no difference
GirlGuy
1
2