Is it good to contact jobs that I've applied to and check on them, or should I wait to hear from them?

Flower7
With the last two jobs that I've applied to, I didn't hear back from them for a while, so I contacted them to check on my application. But both times, they said they were still undecided on who to hire. Then, they contacted me quickly afterwards, telling me that I didn't get the job. But at both of them, I still keep seeing that the same jobs are posted online, saying they need people, months later.

Do you think I should have just let them take their time and decide whether they wanted to hire me? Contacting them seemed to rush them into a decision of not hiring me. That's my perception anyway. I keep feeling like I did something wrong by contacting them to ask about it. What are your thoughts about this type of situation?
12
2