Why don't Japanese cartoons (none Hentai) show romance?

I've been on a Rurouni Kenshin binge. Besides the random hand holding or hug in 3 out of the 95 episodes not a single kiss happens. I've notice this on other animes such as DBZ and Yuyu Hakisho. While shows like Regular Show and Adventure time (American Cartoons) don't shy from kisses or showing of affection. Is it a cultural thing?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Those just aren't centered around romance.

• I would disagree since Rurouni Kenshin spends 95 episodes building sexual tension between Kenshin and miss Koaru for 95 episodes. She never wants him to leave and always cries and worries for him.

• Yeah I'm 28 but watched Inuyasha like 15 years ago and it was the same. Mean while Mordeci and Margeret are kissin or Jake and Fire Princess are kissing. The tension in Japanese cartoons are great but seem like they shy from ever being passed that.

• I agree with that. I think I've only watched a few that seemed to pass that. Most animes I've seen have that cutesy love with the 50 episode build up just for some hand holding or a kiss

What Girls Said 1

• You should write a thesis on this op.

What Guys Said 2

• Kissing and romance are two separate things. There're plenty of anime with focus on romantism. If you don't find it romantic, then yes, it may be cultural differences.

• Not that I just don't see why they shy from. Medicum of affection, you can still have an action packed anime with a kiss or something. Instead of always teasing it.

• Don't worry. He fucks the shit out of Kaoru in Kenshin: Reflections.

Although some people don't consider it canon, but still.