Do you think illegal downloading should be a crime and punishable up to 5 years or $150,000?

• What they don't know won't hurt anyone
    38%(5)29%(9)Vote22%(4)
  • pirating is a victimless crime
    15%(2)19%(6)Vote22%(4)
  • Yes it should be punishable up to 5 years or a $150,000 fine
    8%(1)6%(2)Vote6%(1)
  • As long as your not sharing it with anyone else in public and just for yourself I think its okay
    23%(3)23%(7)Vote22%(4)
  • Pirating is a victimless like punching someone in the dark
    16%(2)23%(7)Vote28%(5)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• Working in the industry i can tell you this is a huge issue. It is not just the mount of loss of revenue that is a problem. Wireless platforms, phones, laptops, game consoles all get technology both in forms of software and hardware to prevent use of pirated software. It induces crime, things like factory theft because people are trying to steal unsecured devices that they can use to hack retail devices.

While i am no fan of DRM if you dont have it people will take advntage of it nd run it into the ground and destroy your business. THe PC gaming industry is a fntastic example of that. If not for move to a digital market (Steam) te PC gaming industry would not have resurged.

Do i support 5 yr $150K fines, not for individual downloads, no. But everytime someone goes and buys a product that uses software, they are paying for someone else that has been stealing software.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm.
    Movie industry ripping us off for 100 years.
    Cry's if you download, yet still makes record profits every weekend AND rapes you at the theatre.
    How about it be illegal to charge inflated prices to family's.
    If they didn't gouge me every chance they could, I would not be downloading.

What Girls Said 4

• You can already get done for it if you're caught. I don't really know what to say about it since illegally download things myself. 5 years or that much money seems a bit harsh though

• that sounds strict

• yeah it should be in the end it is not legal

• Life in prison or death penalty. Three strikes you're out!

• wow, the same thing as murder, that's kinda fascist isn't it

• Are you like the daughter of an RIAA executive if so, you're parent is a gigantic scumbag

• @Waffles731 I am the ruler of the universe.

What Guys Said 8

• The fact that its a felony is stupid

• The last option actually describes it pretty well in that it's a crime where the perpetrator never actually sees the victim.

I don't think it should be legal but 150,000 and 5 years prison is a bit harsh for taking something that wasn't exactly free anyway because you got it off the internet that you pay for.
    Only those who put it online in the first place should be punished with that penalty.

• Illegal downloading shouldn't be a crime, but Illegal uploading should be a crime, with the first offense a warning, second offense a fine and third offense jail time (year or two max). . You get rid of illegal uploading than you get rid of illegal downloading.

• 0|1
    • Lol I am still not sure what your stance is but that's a funny video. Just don't share that with someone who gets seizures other than that you win the internet XD

• 5 years is kind of too much I guess, but kind of a crime to be honest.

• Nahh hell no ;D

• It should have the same penalty as stealing something physical.

• No. They should have to pay 100 times the value of whatever they illegally downloaded as reparations.
    Illegal downloading is just digital stealing.