Does music have to be English for you to enjoy it?

This is just a question that came to my mind after I was being made fun of because I listen to music that's not English, yet I love Korean pop, hip hop and rap. People often ask me why I listen to it if I can't understand what they are saying. Like excuse you, 50% of the people who listen to English music are not English and can't even understand it as well?
Also
Peace. No hate alright?

• Yes
    12%(3)14%(8)Vote16%(5)
  • No
    88%(21)86%(48)Vote84%(27)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• I went to Japan and got some CDs and I love their music. You ever listened to BabyMetal? You ever heard of Hatsune Miku, or the Vocaloids? I also really loved the Russian trap music in Pitch Perfect 2. I have Mexican friends and I like some music in Spanish.

Most Helpful Girl

• How limiting must it be to only consume art that's made in our own language. A lot of people reject foreign cinema too and it's just absurd. That is honestly why the whole world looks down on Americans as dense and culturally crude. Even the Third World countries you despise so much are better at this than your patriotic asses.

What Guys Said 24

• Nope, most of my favorite songs are in German.

• I voted for no. Because i might listen to some musics with none-English lyrics. But that is so rare. Lyrics are very important for me. Music part of the song is something but the story and the emotion presented by the lyrics are totally crucial.

Making fun of people who enjoy listening to music regardless of the meaning of the lyrics or English necessity is not an appropriate behavior. So childish and rude.

So without making fun! i always wondering the same thing! if you can't even understand the lyrics, how the hell you even dare to go to concerts? that is super weird to me and i can't understand it.

However, there are cases that i might listen to none-English songs. For instance, if they are movie soundtracks and i have actually a particular feeling with them from the movie. Or recently i started to listen to Rammstein, that is only because i am learning German so it helps me to get my ears used to German phrases.

• agreed, I might love Korean pop but I am starting to learn Korean and I always search for lyrics so I know what the main meaning of songs is.

• That's nice!
      I hear many people nowadays are getting into Korean pop? what's the desire for you and if you can estimate other's feelings as well? i'd appreciate it :)

However, it is totally okay to listen to songs even if you can't understand the lyrics! sometimes it's just about the vibe you can get or enjoying how beautifully the notes and instruments been played together.
      Good Luck on your Korean practice as well.

• thanks, and yeah, many people started liking kpop lately, this is the first time for the last three years I've seen such thing.

• Nope, do you how many English speaking people listen to kpop and anime theme songs? thousands! Hell, think if Gangnam Style, that was in Korean! and it was a HUGE hit! I personally don't enjoy those styles though, but I do enjoy Rammstein, and their music is in German language.

• I love all world music. I go to two world music festivals most years. Larmer Tree and Womad. My favourite is African music and singing.

• No. I listen to some Dutch songs, simply for the beat. I don't understand one word of Dutch, but they have great Hardstyle, Trap, Jungle Terror, and EDM in general.

• No. Sometimes I listen to Nena. Some of her songs are English, but some are German. I don't care either way.
    Same thing with Selena (the original Selena). She goes on in Spanish. I usually don't know what she's singing about, but I don't care.

• I don't care about the lyrics, therefore I also don't care about the language.

it just needs to sound good

• No, English, Russian, Spanish, Germany, France, , , all ok, whatever the langues it is, I think I can feel the emotion that song try to express. Cause melody and rhythm is easy to understand to all the human beings. This is kind of natural instinct. Pure music like canon, they don't have lyrics at all, but famous all around the world. And if I like the melody of that song, I usually will find out the meaning of the lyrics, also learn to sing it sometimes, lol

• I don't care about the lyrics either.
    If it sounds good, it's good.
    Some of my most favorite songs are in a language I don't understand.

• lol i known some English song's where you can't understanf wtf the singer is saying n people still he singing too it. i much more perfert kpop

• I'm with you on this one , music is music it doesn't matter at all the lyrics.. I mean how many know exactly what the artist is trying to convey ( if anything ) anyway... great point :)

• At least I realized that (as a german speaking man) I actually prefer English speaking tv channels like BBC, because the English language is nicer to listen to.

• no not always

• Music is it's own language. :)

• I mostly listen to soundtracks so, no.

• Nope, I listened to several Japanese songs. They are great.

• Not at all. I listen to even Indian music, I have no clue what they're saying but I like it.

• for me, yes.

• Nope, I like music in various other languages.

• no, i listen to german heavy metal and i enjoy it 😅

• not at all.

• I listen music that is in German, Sweden or Finland. and I don't understand a word of these songs. sry if my English sucks.

• well no, because i enjoy classical, every once in a while, especially since im a clarinetist

What Girls Said 11

• I have to understand the music to enjoy it so I can listen to music in English or Spanish and still enjoy it. However, if it's any other foreign language, I can't really enjoy it. I don't know what the words are saying and I don't understand the meaning behind the songs.

• Listen to the melody, it'll tell you everything you need to know 😊

• @BPTDK I'll try that next time. I'm really big on listening to the words and getting the meaning so maybe if I focus on the melody instead that will help.

• Yes please let me know. I'm the same way except polar opposite, it's usually easier for me to get into a song by the beat rather than the words. Probably because most of what I hear these days in mainstream is garbage, lyrically.

I write music.

• Nope, I like jpop and Japanese rock bands and hatsune miku

• nope. I listen to kpop, jpop, Spanish, Russian and a lot of other music n different languages

• Not really, I mostly listen to music in English and Spanish since those are the 2 languages I speak but i do enjoy music in other languages, like I love songs that are in Portuguese and Arab music is pretty cool too

• for me the important thing is not to understand it but to get lost in the melody

• I do enjoy music in languages I do not understand.

• I love Sigur Ross but have no idea what they're singing about so no it doesn't have to be English.

• No lol, i listen to arabic, English, turkish, chinese, russian and french.

• I mostly listen to arabic/hindi music

• No, I like a lot of foreigner song.

• No, but I have to be able to understand it, normally. I only understand two languages, so...