Can art kill? Can it be fatal?

Can art kill? Can it be fatal?Yes.. This is an extremely weird question! But it's a really interesting one. First, you have to figure out and understand what exactly "art" is.. And then work your way from there.

Art could be a painting of a flower.. Or it could be a beautifully crafted sword.. It could be a huge nuclear explosion.. It could also be a beautiful wedding cake.

So what do you think? Does the art itself have the capability to be deadly occasionally? Or is it the use of the art? Or.. Can art simply never be deadly?

What do you think?

I mean art in a general sense.. So if there's one simply type of art that can kill then you would apply that across the board/spectrum.
Can art kill? Can it be fatal?
  • Yes, art can kill.
  • No, art cannot kill.
  • Not sure..
    Vote C
  • Other opinion.
    Vote D
  • Comment.
    Vote E
  • See results.
    Vote F

56

Most Helpful Guy

• Nice question first of all! Well, Art has a very large meaning. Some kinds of it can be deadly for sure: think about those geniuses so inspired at what they do that give up eating and sleeping... Or those who become mad. Or simply one sensitive soul, a little drunk say, who stares at a painting about suicide. He/she might be influenced and commit suicide. Then we could consider dangerous forms of Art. Say... Those who play with knives. That's a form of art but it could be deadly if you make the wrong move. And so on...

• Thabks! I think of some pretty random stuff at times 😂 But true! I think that art might necessarily have the power to kill by itself.. But it can spur murder kinda

Most Helpful Girl

• If we’re talking in the literal sense of the word ‘kill’, then I think that most forms of art cannot kill people—not unless they themselves are designed to cause harmful effects to the environment or the people interacting with them.
    For example, a painting or a statue, regardless of what it depicts, wouldn’t be able to harm you by itself unless it was chemically-engineered such that it released some sort of toxic fumes into the air, or was coated with some kind of dermotropic poison.
    Similarly, music generally doesn't cause physiological harm to people, regardless of the lyrics or the instruments played. However, the sound itself CAN be used to harm listeners. There are sound frequencies that are harmful to the human ear, and some even mess with your nervous system (as far as altering your blood pressure and heart rate!). If a music piece was composed with such frequencies incorporated into it, it could certainly cause some damage (maybe you could even make a sonic weapon out of it… but, at that point, is it really art?).

Now, if we’re talking in the figurative sense… then you have to ask yourself: kill what and how? There certainly are works of art out there which evoke feelings of bleakness and dread… you could argue that such art can “kill” someone’s mood… maybe even their hope? I remember when I first read Edgar Allan Poe, a lot of his writing depressed me. Of course, not to the point of wanting to kill myself or other people, but it did choke out a bit of my happiness.

Or, what about art that drives the artist to commit murder for the sake of the artwork? For example, somebody draining people of blood and using their blood as paint for their canvas. Or using human skin as the canvas. We’re getting into dark territory here, but if there are people who have artistic motivations to kill others/themselves… then, I suppose you could argue that, yes, art has the power to kill. Or, at least, to drive us to it.

Very interesting question!

• Very intricate analysis! Wouldn't expect lesser from you! And yes, I agree. I don't necessarily think that art itself can necessarily kill but I can contain and spur the drive to kill or can be used to kill. It's just a really interesting question that popped into my head randomly while eating lunch one day 😂👌🏼