Why do some people think rap music is horrible?

918

Most Helpful Girl

• I find a lot of it horrible for three reasons: content is objectionable, can't tell what's being said, and weak-ass rhymes that suck.

I find a lot of my favorite genres to be horrible for three reasons: content is objectionable, can't tell what's being said, and weak-ass lyrics that suck.

And music with no lyrics/rhymes gets on my nerves after a maximum of two hours, but usually within 15 minutes.

But don't underestimate the role of racism in why people hate it. That may be most people's #1 reason.

Do you have Netflix? Did you watch the "Get Down"? A good sort-of-true story about the birth of rap and ultimately hip-hop in New York. And some other contemporary stuff that happened during the explosion of all sorts of music from New York at that time.

But here's my FAVORITE Canadian rap lyrics, for you, my Canadian friend:

i.pinimg.com/.../...7bc297c65aabadb363b4be13f4.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not all horrible to me, but the majority of it produced today is just garbage as fuck. Probably like 30% of all rap music is in the decent/good range for me. I enjoy some of the old school entertainers, like Tupac or Eazy E or early Ice Cube. Sometimes Immortal Technique is really relatable but I must admit he gets preachy. There are some rappers with a comedic tinge I'm into like Filthy Frank or Billy The Fridge. A lot of rap music is about promoting materialism, being unfaithful to ones' spouse or just being generally risky in the pursuit of getting ass. It seems like a lot of it is heavily reliant upon the autotuner, which is annoying in any genre, & the lyrics are often trash being relayed over what are admittedly good beats. For instance, I don't like Kanye West lyrics, but there's not a single song in Graduation or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that didn't have good instrumentals.

Rap suffers from tired themes, taking itself too seriously, resting on its laurels, being too saturated with just flat out bad talent, etc. Some of its good but I can understand why some people just have a complete aversion to it. The same way I just have a total unmitigated lack of patience for most if not all dubstep music, or screamo, etc.