Why do some people think rap music is horrible?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I find a lot of it horrible for three reasons: content is objectionable, can't tell what's being said, and weak-ass rhymes that suck.

I find a lot of my favorite genres to be horrible for three reasons: content is objectionable, can't tell what's being said, and weak-ass lyrics that suck.

And music with no lyrics/rhymes gets on my nerves after a maximum of two hours, but usually within 15 minutes.

But don't underestimate the role of racism in why people hate it. That may be most people's #1 reason.

Do you have Netflix? Did you watch the "Get Down"? A good sort-of-true story about the birth of rap and ultimately hip-hop in New York. And some other contemporary stuff that happened during the explosion of all sorts of music from New York at that time.

But here's my FAVORITE Canadian rap lyrics, for you, my Canadian friend:

i.pinimg.com/.../...7bc297c65aabadb363b4be13f4.jpg

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not all horrible to me, but the majority of it produced today is just garbage as fuck. Probably like 30% of all rap music is in the decent/good range for me. I enjoy some of the old school entertainers, like Tupac or Eazy E or early Ice Cube. Sometimes Immortal Technique is really relatable but I must admit he gets preachy. There are some rappers with a comedic tinge I'm into like Filthy Frank or Billy The Fridge. A lot of rap music is about promoting materialism, being unfaithful to ones' spouse or just being generally risky in the pursuit of getting ass. It seems like a lot of it is heavily reliant upon the autotuner, which is annoying in any genre, & the lyrics are often trash being relayed over what are admittedly good beats. For instance, I don't like Kanye West lyrics, but there's not a single song in Graduation or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that didn't have good instrumentals.

Rap suffers from tired themes, taking itself too seriously, resting on its laurels, being too saturated with just flat out bad talent, etc. Some of its good but I can understand why some people just have a complete aversion to it. The same way I just have a total unmitigated lack of patience for most if not all dubstep music, or screamo, etc.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• For most people, it’s just that the lyrics are trashy. It’s not real “singing”.

I do like some rap music, but a lot of rappers are just not good or have terrible songs.

0|2
    0|0
  • Big hint: it's because it's a genre mainly associated with black people and white people weren't able to steal it and claim they invented it like they did with jazz and rock

0|1
    0|0
  • Why does it have to be about anything more than it's just something they don't like?

0|1
    0|0
  • Well most of these days rap is crap compare to the older ones. It's kinda runined and annoying

0|1
    0|0
  • if they hate both r&b and rap, it’s cuz they dislike black people

0|1
    2|3
    • Have you heard The Heavy or Killswitch Engage? Both black lead singers, both kick ass

• Show All
    • @Mexicoman101 i don’t hate country music, nice reach tho

• I don't know they're dumb?

0|1
    1|4
  • they are handicapped they dont know how to listen

0|0
    0|1
  • For not listening

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• Because how can you call art something made by someone who is high as fuck, writing what ever shit he imagines doing, then goes to record and only talks and makes the audio tune do the work. Basically if it wasn't for the uplifting beats the music would be shit.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like rap, but only creative people like hopsin, watsky, rminem, j. Cole, kendrick lamar, and often drake.

People like Meek mill and Future are just sick beats on homeless guys who figured out how to use audotune. Their music is crap, the only ever talk about how they're the greatest all the time, no problems except first world problem. Plus their lyrics aren't even coherent English. I write poetry; these guys write rants of stream of conciousness crap.

0|1
    0|0
    • haha, hopsin, what a fucking terrible rapper.

• Show All
    • Listen to ill mind of hopsin 7 and say that again.

• I;d rather to listen to a rapper that actually writes music for their age.

• Compare our now rap to what we once had none of it compares to what we had in the past. Also religious people or conservitive people think it's the Devils music, mysoginistic, or to sexual. Finally some people may not just like the music.

0|1
    1|0
  • The evolution of it has gone down. There used to be a meaning behind every rap song now that has slowly died away

1|2
    1|0
  • Modern rap has gone down because of mumble rap and supa dupa flow. The beats are dope, but then you got dudes like desiigner who sounds like 50 cent did after he got popped in the cheek 🤦‍♂️

0|1
    0|0
  • Most of it is. I like rap music but some of the shit that gets released these days is just plain awful

0|1
    0|0
  • I like it but probably because it has bad messages a lot and some rappers are just downright retarded (ahem little Pump)

0|1
    0|0
  • I get nothing out of it usually. I can list on one hand the number of rappers I have really liked (Maybe 2 hands if you count certain genres).

0|1
    0|0
  • Zero talent in vocal ability. Mostly depends upon rhyme and lyrics.

I guess I view the former more difficult than the latter. Call me crazy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cause it’s all the same story only time I listen to rap is if I’m working out if I wanna fuck shit up I play crazy white boy shit

0|1
    0|0
  • just listen to it-i've seen how many have been influenced by it... it's not pretty.

0|1
    1|0
  • Cause it is.

1|2
    1|0
  • They underestimate the impact of rap music.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it is.

0|2
    0|0
  • Because it glorifies naked women and drugs.

0|2
    1|0
  • I like all music. Rap is hear to stay.

0|1
    0|0
  • it is absolute trash. at least the modern version. I grew up on rap and hip hop in 2000s, I've worked in the music industry and was a lyricist for a while. it's a garbage ass industry filled with garbage rappers.

0|2
    1|0

Recommended myTakes