Why sleepwalking was so big in old movies?

I don't see this anymore.

24

Most Helpful Girls

• I think because it wasn't yet explained thoroughly so they looked at it as mysterious and interesting...
    Also - it was a metaphor film makers liked using then - a metaphor for whatever the film is about - guilty conscience, hidden desires, etc...

• i never took notice to sleep walking in the old movies

Most Helpful Guys

• Old movies in the sense of how old? If we are talking about Robert Wiere's 1920 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari old, well I don't know, point of the movie wasn't sleepwalking. If we are talking about post- 1920's the Somnambulist in Caligari was a quite striking character, let alone the film being one of the most artistic works of it's time. It is hard to not get inspiration from that film.

• 20s-40s

• Yep, I'd advise you to watch Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. German Expressionism and all that fun stuff. The film captures a mystical aspect of Somnambulism through Cesare. Which gave future filmmakers lots of material I believe.

• Because back then we didn't had any of this tech or cars or taboos everything moder. basically. So back then they had to work with what they had.