Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

So I just saw ocean's 8 and as much as I was excited now I feel like Hollywood is just pushing the idea of feminism instead of creativity and remakes keep coming like ghost busters and ocean's 8 Hollywood  running  out of  ideas??

1|4

Most Helpful Guy

• What I don't understand is there are 100's or thousands of books out there, just waiting to be turned into movies or TV shows. Yet Hollywood is simply remaking the same movies over and over. I'm steering clear of the whole feminism topic (partly because my younger sister is one), but I will say that even in "those" type of movies, why not just be creative and come up with something new. Instead of just remaking the same thing over again.

Also, why do... all girl movies, tend to depict the sole male as an idiot or something, the way they did in the new Ghostbusters movie? The Secretary in the original Ghostbusters was never depicted as an idiot, if I remember right, she had backbone and spirit... even if she didn't have a big spot in the movie.

0|1
    0|0
    • Taking revenge on men for all the stereotypical portrait of women as sex objects

• Show All
    • @nina2992 So basically being spiteful to all men, for the actions of a few. It just makes me shake my head. Men and women both are suppose to be better than this. It's nearly 2018 for [insert swear word of choice] sake!!

• Well, it’s a bit harder than just turning book into film. I forgot who I was watching, but they explained how they had to make fundamental changes to the book in arrival (which was amazing) and how they didn’t translate over to film. I also noticed it in the docucomedy about me, the disaster artist. It was funny, but missed out on key dynamics that, frankly, couldn’t realistically be translated to film for a few reasons. I think people generally don’t understand that concept. That, along with some technical stuff like budgeting (like west world)... anywell, there’s a lot of original ideas and great movies, it’s just Hollywood does a terrible job at marketing them for plenty of reasons. Some obvious, some not so obvious

As for the 2nd half, I can’t speak to that (besides them being comedies), although I’ll fight you over bridesmaids 😂

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh, don’t forget Splash being remade with a merman instead of a mermaid.

And Disney making live action remakes of its classic animated films.

For sure, Hollywood is running out of ideas. The reason is because they only want to focus on what white people are doing. There are a lot more fresh ideas if you expand your search to people who don’t think mayonnaise is spicy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 111

• It is funny how people think that Hollywood is this bastion of liberal creative minds.

It certainly is not. In order to get a film made in Hollywood, you have got to prove that you can deliver. Hollywood is not making these films because they actually care about women's issues. They make the films out of proven franchises like Ocean's 11. And they hope to capitalize on the current wave of #metoo.

Hollywood is one of the most cutthroat industries in America. It is capitalism in its rawest form. The minute they think they can no longer make money off of a franchise or idea, they dump it. But one novel idea that is refreshing and new? They simply make 100 copies of the same thing. If "we" stopped going to see the flicks that are just repetitious nonsense, they would actually be forced to be creative. But I am as guilty as everyone else.

I am enjoying the current comic book movie craze. I just hope it lasts for a couple of more years. But I have no illusions. Movies that make money will be made. Those that can come with that kind of guarantee, will not.

www.indiewire.com/.../the-big-sick3.jpg

1|0
    0|0
    • That’s friggin hilarious, Hollywood isn’t liberal.

• I don’t so much have a problem with Hollywood pushing certain issues like femensinm. Although I agree with the shocking lack of originality. It seems like most of Hollywood is trying to atone for prior transgressions by remaking famous movies from decades ago with a socially “hygenic” feel.

There has to be TONS of original stories left to be told with feministic (or insert social justice term here) undertones right?

1|0
    0|0
  • They're running out of willingness to take risks. Thousands of storytellers' works never see the light of day. Ideological censorship is part of it. After all: when the LGBTQPIZ extremists found out about Orson Scott Card's personal views on marriage, his lack of malice toward anyone was irrelevant. They maliciously ruled that his "Ender's Game" saga had to end before it even began. So they did everything they could to ensure the first film would be a flop, and then lobbied heavily to guarantee there wouldn't be a sequel.

Which brings me to the other point: they're all afraid to get sued. As if gambling on a major production that may not make its money back weren't frightening enough, there's also the off chance your studio will get sued the money it didn't even earn over anything from allegations of plagiarism, to XYZ group being offended by what they read into the work, to you-name-it else.

Just look back at Delgo. Don't want to? Neither does the company that made it.

You have to keep in mind: those running the feminism train today can't admit that everything the earlier waves set out to accomplish has already happened. The sexes are as equal as the laws of biology will allow. Which means that to stay relevant (all they really care about,) these new "leaders" have to embrace loony toon ideals about how to continue the push.

If that means making complete BS all-female remakes of films with nearly-all-male casts in settings where a male cast made more sense, then so be it. American Psycho felt weird, because it was a mostly-male cast acting like the women in The Devil Wears Prada. The sexes do different genres better. Ignoring that for the hell of it, and sticking some social cause label on it to make such ignorance sound better, does not make it a good idea. It makes the foolishness of the rebel that much more glaring and embarrassing.

Especially when the film they intend to use as the vehicle for their "cause" winds up being a really poorly-made film!

0|0
    0|0
  • Running out? Where have you been? Most of the stuff the have are reboots and sequels. I can't wait for Deadpool 2 and Battle Angel Alita but i completely agree that they have nothing. They base many movies on mythology too so they are missing out on featuring movies based on other cultures besides Ancient Rome, Greece, and Egypt. Why not something based on Hinduism? That would be really interesting.

0|0
    0|1
    • Hinduism? you reminded me that bollywood is worst than Hollywood in finding good scripts. .. by the way iam waiting for deadpool 2 too

• They are? ugh that sucks. Maybe Mesopotamian or even Aztec. We need something awesome.

• Hollywood is not out of ideas.

They know what things you guys like, so they are serving you the more of it in a different package.

They got you excited, similarly many people would get excited to see it as well, so they know a certain quantity of people is gonna turn up to see the movie and banking on it.

If you don't go to see the movie and don't show support, the chances of them making sequels of this as good as zero.

So in the end the choice is yours.

0|0
    0|0
  • www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

What are you on about? You cherry-pick a few movies and make your point based on these selected films? Please...

1|1
    0|1
  • Hollywood hasn't necessarily run out of ideas, they just care more about box office money than creativity. Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and other big names like that are just about the only movies that are sure to make money these days. And while there's nothing wrong with the names I just listed, hardly anybody else in Hollywood wants to try and compete with them. Therefore, we see a lot more movies from Hollywood that they perceive to be "easy money".

2|0
    0|0
  • I definitely think they are.

Now, I realise that since basically the beginning of film that every story seems to portray men as the lead characters. However just making the same movie but with women as the same characters is very boring.

I actually would go to see a cool action film with all female leads if it was an original story. Hollywood needs to stop playing it safe by using franchises.

0|2
    0|0
  • Caling this feminism is the most ironic thing. Or maybe not. Trying to act like a man has become the norm of feminism. Uniqueness of women is being heckled a lot. If hollywood really want to promote leading ladies, try some original ideas. Dont you women deserve originality?

0|2
    0|0
  • And a round of applause for a girl that actually sees this. Notice Ocean's 8, even the number looks like tits. I understood the use for feminism in the 70's but now its just women whinging about how they want all the perks of both men and women and none of the bad stuff.

0|2
    0|0
  • No. They're just very, very risk averse. There's LOTS of stories that would make f*a*n*t*a*s*t*i*c movies. Ringworld for example. The movie rights to Ringworld were sold 20 years ago, but still no movie 😢.

1|1
    0|0
  • Not sure they are running out of ideas but they are afraid to take risks and make movies about new stories or ideas. Thus they make safe remakes that should make them money. Its sad. But Hollywood is about business not art.

0|2
    0|0
  • Because audiences have been dropping a lot. They loose about 5% a year on average. This doesn't count the DVD sales which have tanked into the Pacific ocean. Other than the big hits, everything else suffered.

So it's time for them to get really conservative. They have to bank on the nostalgia of remakes and sequels. Pretty much everything note worthy in 2017 had either been a remake or sequel or prequel.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fair chance, you do have to take into consideration that the film industry is about making money, and making films costs a lot to make. Why risk making a new film that could fail? why not just stick to the tried and tested? This I think has more to do with what you see at the movies.

0|0
    0|0
  • They ran out of ideas a long time ago. No studio seems to be willing to take a chance and gamble on a project anymore. Seemingly every movie produced nowadays are either remakes, books made into movies (though that's nothing new), and "based on a true story".

0|0
    0|0
  • Add The Last Jedi as another ecent example.
    If they want they can offer smart, entertaining stories.
    They dont do it because the brain-dead audience keep spending money for their trash.
    Personally, it was the last time I paid for a star wars movie.
    It doesn't mean that I won't watch them. Thats not the point. The difference is I won't pay for them. I will proudly raise my pirate flag and watc them for free.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, thank you! Hollywood has become stagnant. Like you said, it's nothing but remakes of popular movies with a few minor tweaks. The common theme that makes all these movies so terribly unwatchable is the forced integration of social justice issues, making them nothing more than social engineering propaganda.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I've got it on my list as well. 12 Movies That Will Suck in 2018 ↗

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah hollywood has ran out of ideas. All the movies they make are remakes or about history.

There are a few unique movies every year.

Thank god countries like Turkey, Japan and India produce quality shows and movies. Dont limit yourself to hollywood

0|0
    0|0
  • Really they are just trying to use old content and sucker in women or other demos which are easily inticed to go. Studios/hollywood has 2 uses for these types of movies... 1. $$ from women and az PR bump 2. Pushing sexiest ideologies. 3rd wave feminism is shit. If you look at women's happiness levels it peaked in 2nd wave feminism. What happened is that man-hating female chauvinists were the ones left out of being happy in the era of 2nd wave feminism so they basically ended up manipulating things to start 3rd wave which made the then happy at the expense of the 90% of women

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 36

• I gave up on Hollywood about a decade ago. I don't even watch movies anymore unless they get awful reviews from triggered SJWs... Then I know they will have something worthwhile **cough normal** in them.

0|2
    0|0
    • So what do you do for entertainment?

• Show All
    • I have a purpose and meaning in everything I do, including when I troll the skeptic community on YouTube. This is a culture war. "Skeptics" are simpl6 SKW-lite, and they need to be called out and put in their place, as well as the MGTOW community.

• *SJW-lite = skeptic community and MGTOW

Content with the worst aspects of modern culture because it enabled their depravity and nihilism, while giving them something to constantly complain about as if they are actually up to the task of changing it... Also, gives their moronic soyboy fanbases "causes" to donate shekels to.

• There are still some gems but unfortunately the vast majority of Hollywood decision makers want built in audiences (sequels and remakes) rather than to gamble on what an audience may find fresh and entertaining.

1|1
    0|0
  • To aum up what RolandCuthbert put very well: Hollywood is capitlising on 3rd wave femenism, making shit remakes that cater towards femenists and similar minded people.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yeah. I think we should make new movies, not just remakes. Hollywood just goes “okay well make a remake but we need something new” and the most obvious change would be to make the cast a different sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • There will be bad movies in every generation, but I feel that as time goes on, art gets fresher and more complex. Like my all time favorite movie is It Follows and it came out in 2015.

This applies to music, some of the worst and best songs came out in 2017

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, if the script if great, and the cinematography stands as it own, it should be acknowledged for its excellent production rather than the main focus being an all female cast. If anything, the all female cast, to me, is an obvious marketing angle as opposed to being a precursor to the film's actual content.

0|1
    0|0
  • No fucking way! Gah I'm a woman and I hate this already. No George or brad to laugh at or ogle at, nope they may have used the name but this is NOT an oceans movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely. Their movies are getting boring and you can very easily predict the ending. The plots are too similar.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think Hollywood just needs original and inventive ways of telling stories, not necessarily the story ideas themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • They just made a movie that was about a mute woman falling in love with a sea creature, definitely, lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • They've always been out of ideas... half the movies that are made are either recycled or just flat out stolen... too much money, too little talent

0|0
    0|0
  • How many Superman movies have they made? Thor? Repetition and franchise is the game in Hollywood. At least making movies with female lead characters is a good development.

0|0
    0|0
  • No way, the reboot & sequel are older than cinema my pal.

William Wyler's epic Ben Hur? Yeah, remake of a 1925 movie (which only happened after rights to the 1922 stage play were bought) based on an 1880 novel.

Don Quixote was wildly popular in its day and a lot of people wrote what we would now recognize as fanfiction about it. It had an official sequel about the main character going out and kicking the ass of somebody who he thought mischaracterized him in a fanfiction

The only people out of ideas are the people who keep insisting Hollywood has no ideas. Tons of original movies come out every year but it's very obvious your butt isn't ever in those seats so like... maybe shut the fuck up?

0|1
    0|0
  • It does seem like Hollywood is just grasping at straws by pushing feminism in their films... Although I don't think that's why these movies were bad.
    If they'd been just a little bit original in Ghost Busters, then I'm sure it would have been great. But instead, they went with what they knew. Which was a stereotypical, "blond" woman. Just filling all the lead positions. If they'd treated the women's characters with as much respect as they did the men from the originals, then I'm confident it would have been much better.
    Their idea of feminism is an all women cast, when it's actually intelligent, independent women.
    Hopefully they'll realize this for Ocean's 8.

1|0
    0|1
  • Inserting females into movies really does nothing for feminism or women.

0|1
    0|0
    • That is just not true

• Show All
    • I guess the word choice does make a difference in this case. 👍 It read differently in my head

• @sharkattackgirl
      That's fair and understandable.

• No, not out of ideas, but just listen to this: I made an exercise for a certification that I am taking, and guess what, remakes and sequels, make, in general, two to three times what 20 or 30 new movies (together) make at the US BO
    Those numbers are run from 1977 to 2015 with inflation adjusted, and the trend shifted on the year 2000.
    So, apparently all production companies are looking for their MCU (Disney already got the biggest of them: Pirates of the Caribbean, Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar -Cars, Toy Story, etc- Indiana Jones, recently bought themselves X-men), Warner still fighting with DC, and the rest just looking for their own formula.
    We WILL see more remakes, sequels in the future.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its just the movies we get marketed to more
    I mean they have some great ideas, and these movies are made to amazing movies
    But we get marketed mostly the feminism (Or any subject that is hot at the time) as its simply easy to market it, and the movie is made with the head of market as its top priority
    And with the rise of social media and the like it also becomes cheaper

Just for example movies like the Emoji movie, Boss Baby, Secret Life of the house pets, they really try to push things that they hope will become memes so people will hear of it, and go to watch it that is worth cash

And the great movies, that come out we hear about less, as its harder to market for them over all and there for we remember them less , and less publishers want to touch them

That is my take on it any how

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m pretty tired of all the remakes regardless of any feminism. Although Hollywood is still churning out movies with original concepts and characters, I hate that nowadays the standard seems to be that every other movie gets a sequel or the concept is turned into a trilogy. Also I don’t mind the genderbending too much, but it would be more interesting if movies starred original female characters, instead of having some writer be like ”okay... so, Men in black... but with WOMEN!!!1!!”
    Just feels half-assed.

0|0
    0|0
  • No they just know they can make a crap ton of money with minimal effort. They don't take pride in their art anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hollywood does what makes money. That is why Spiderman goes remaded the third time or so many remade/reboots got made.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes