When you play video games, do you prefer to play as a character who is of your own gender or the opposite gender?

When you play video games, do you prefer to play as a character who is of your own gender or the opposite gender?
I usually prefer to play male characters, especially if it's a Mage type character.
  • I prefer to play a character that is the opposite gender.
    Vote A
  • I prefer to play a character that is my own gender.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Note: This is assuming you get a choice of gender in the first place--i. e., you're not forced to play as one gender or the other due to the storyline or because one gender has the abilities/aptitudes that you need/like.

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. For a rogue stealthy thief or a mage I would use a female character usually, but for a fighter, barbarian, space ship captain, or in most shooter games I usually use a male character.
    In the new COD, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Wasteland 2, I used male characters. In Fable 2 and State of Decay I used female characters.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. I hate games where armour for girls are extremely skimpy and guys armour is actually decent. That's a scenario I pick males. I also really enjoy writing character stories, for example guild wars 2, where I have both genders.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• I usually model my characters to be myself if possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the game. When GTA V came out I was hoping they had a girl as a side character as well, would have been awesome to play as a hoodrat striving to get out the gutter and get respect from her peers/gang with the hopes of leading them when she reaches the top.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never play female characters unless I absolutely have to. When I do play female characters, I don’t enjoy myself for some reason.

0|1
    0|0
    • Same, lol. I don't know what it is about the female characters, but it's not as entertaining playing as girl. I think it has to do with the reality-escape aspect for me, though. Playing a character who is as different from me as possible takes it further from reality and more into the realm of fantasy.

• Show All
    • And yes, if you’re wondering, I also name him the same as me

• Ah, yeah, lol. I can get why that would be appealing.

• I play whatever is aesthetically pleasing.

Imagine a warrior type character, i want big swinging animations and vicious looking strikes. I'd go for a guy.
    A thief type, i'd want someone lithe and nimble, deadly precision. So i'd probably pick a girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • both i like to play as my own gender but i usually use females 1 because males look ugly in games and females look good no not in that way. face-wise and i like the feminine sounds they make i just enjoy playing with them a lot more it also makes a change playing from a females point of view and form instead of a males

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the game I guess.
    Some games where itemization and "fashion" is a part of the game I choose a female character because the female outfits tend to look cooler. (Monster Hunter, Dark Souls)

But in roleplaying games like Skyrim I would always choose a male character so I can roleplay the personal choice parts of the game like romances or what not with my own gender.

0|0
    0|0
  • opposite, in PUBG and rules of survival, i choose a sexy ass girl so i can silently murder them, lmao

3|1
    0|0
  • Great question! I have to think about it. You know, it just seems that most of the characters you play end up being male. I have played as female characters and enjoy it just as much.

0|0
    0|0
  • well, i would play with male character but not always... if option is available i would play as a girl at least once... @Quintessence just to see how she looks and how she can act compare to that of male character

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer playing with hot female characters like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Mai Shiranui, Chun-Li, Kitana, Tira, Seung Mi-Na, Kasumi etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • There´s usually a default, sometimes it´s at male and sometimes it´s at female then you have to pick which one you prefer, I generally leave it at default, I do have a few female characters in a few games though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Generally speaking my own gender, especially if it's an MMORPG like WoW or Guild Wars 2, for example. The only game that really subverts the trend is League of Legends for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Really doesn't matter to me as long as there an awesome character especially in one of my fav fighting games where the majority of the characters are females it is ok just have fun

0|0
    0|0
  • I would play a male in an Arpg like Mu Online where male armor looks badass.
    I played a female in a barbie style customuization game like blade and soul. black desert was temping too for female characters but I played a kung fu master back then

0|0
    0|0
  • It really depends witch models, hair Styles, armor is better. but sometimes if I play a game long enough I'll make another character of the opposite gender for a change of pace.

0|0
    0|0
  • My own. Although, sometimes I play female cause clothes are more stylish. Ladies are so lucky to have an abundance of costumes and outfits to choose from compared to the men who have barely anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • I generally play as my own gender, but if it's a story driven game like bioware's games I'll also play a female character to see the different stories

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer characters my own gender, because they mix better with my overall views and so on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly I play as female characters a lot, but it really comes down to the character itself.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's completely idealistic, Theme based or compriensive to the fantastic vision.
    I guess what I'm saying is, I could go either way.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 16

• Female, so long as it's possible without looking like a prostitute. Then again, games where it's not possible I generally avoid because of the poor first impression that kind of stuff makes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seeing as it wouldn't impact the actual quality the game.. I guess I still just tend to go for female characters/avatars. Not necessarily because I am a female, but because it's just fun to customize characters, and, well, I'm a female lol. But every now and then, I'll play a guy character, as pretty much everyone's said.. more for a change of pace. It's really not a bug thing to me though. I guess I just naturally tend to choosing female characters out of some sort of feeling of moral obligation lol. For example, Skyrim or something lol. I think that in general, people are simply more likely to naturally lean towards their own sexed avatar unless they consciously make some sort of conclusion like "well, I would wanna play as that attractive avatar there" etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Own gender and preferably customizable, so I can make the character look as close to me as possible.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would much rather play as a women but a lot of games only have men (COD for example) I don't mind playing as a guy but if they had a choice for a women I would choose it.

0|0
    0|1
    • cod has female characters call of duty ghosts does anyway i think black ops maybe

• I play dudes in games where the female "armor" is like... a chain link bikini but I like to also play women where I can.

0|0
    0|0
  • My own gender :) I rarely would use a guy character if i can play a girl lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • Opposite gender. The male characters are usually stronger and more badass.

0|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy both, but I prefer to play as a female character

0|0
    0|0
  • I alternate between male and female characters.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont really have a preference.

0|0
    0|0
  • indifferent

0|0
    0|0
  • I play my gender I use sexy as a weaopon.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't matter to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends

0|0
    0|0
  • I always want to play a female rogue. It’s my go-to. I make her the idealistic way I’d want to be in real life. Females also have sexier outfits, so that’s a plus.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer to play a character that is my own gender.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes