What do you think about Rey from Star Wars?

The character Rey has caused fans to have mix feelings about her. While some welcome a female main lead into the star wars universe that is a capable fighter, others have grown to resent her for being too much of a Mary sue. What is your take on the character?
What do you think about Rey from Star Wars?
  • I like her
    Vote A
  • I hate her
    Vote B
  • Indifferent
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think she has potential to be a better main character than she actually is but instead, is just a Mary Sue, with some plot holes and automatic light saber skills with no training (not even Luke Skywalker ever automatically has light saber fighting skills against Darth Vader, without any training).

... and no, I am not blaming this Mary Sue character on Feminism (like some people on the internet are), I'm rather blaming Rey being a poorly written Mary Sue on lazy writing from Disney and Lucasfilm LTD.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Simply a way for Disney to appeal to PC people and show they are diverse because they have this female lead that can do everything without any proper prior training or experience. Plus Disney completely destroyed years of Extended Universe just to tell their shitty story, so I hate the new Star Wars in general. If Rey had been more like Luke, had flaws and challenges to overcome, I would have liked her, but she was just there to be politically correct. She has no flaws, no challenges to overcome, and the obvious relationship between her and Finn hinted in The Force Awakens, is just shoe horned in because "white girl and black dude is PC". There is no spark, no connection, there is nothing between them.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• Having recently watched both Disney movies, I concluded that they are entertaining but clumsily implemented, and full of Disney political dogma.
    With regard the Rey character. Ignoring the above, I thought she was a stronger character than Finn, and reminded me of Kiera Knightley's character in the Pirates movies at times.

0|1
    0|0
  • i'm indifferent towards the character. while she does seem to do things a bit too easily, it doesn't bother me that much because the leads of star wars always had a bit too much of luck in my opinion. other then that she is just bland and uninteresting. I do how ever enjoy the characters of kylo ren, poe cameron, and finn.

0|0
    0|0
  • She doesn't automatically become a good character just because she's a strong female lead. I think she's uninteresting and I don't like how she's magically good at everything she ever touches.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like her as a character, but I really don't like the way Disney compressed all the training Jedi are supposed to get into "Oh look she can do Jedi mind tricks without the gesture now"

I have a lot of problems with the sequels, but none of them are with her character

0|0
    0|0
  • Mary Sue.
    Listen, all these people who argue that she has "high potential" can kiss my ass. If it took someone who had the highest recorded potential 20 years to hone his skills, it shouldn't take a pissant force-sensitive only a few months.

0|0
    0|0
  • 0|0
    1|1
    • Show All
    • @_Enigma_ Indeed even midichlorian count does not account for control over the force as does training. Exactly the reason why Anakin was barred from the Jedi Council until he had the control over his midichlorians, NOT due to his lack of experience. Also to add to this becoming Darth Vader impeded his full control over the force as Palpatine had the suit limit Anakin's abilities, so Anakin's true potential was never realized because he could not control the force to the full edtent of his abilities.

• @BrittBratt2416 Exactly, you are not a real Star Wars fan. Maybe you watched a movie or two but the extent of each character eludes you because you haven't read/watched/played the stories the rest of us have.

Rey is a Harley Quinn. A new character to attract women to the series who outgrows her own intial design expectations. When creating Rey's character Disney and its directors went out of the wwy to ignore the lore which us fans so desperately consume. They went total hackjob and created a Mary Sue to sell the franchise during a surge in media attention that the feminism movement was generating before the election. It made them a lot of money but pissed a lot of people off to the point where there have been TWO apology movies, one of them a sequel!

• Anakin Skywalker's story is compelling. He is a great character, but Rey is just Rey. She's some girl from a desert planet that happens to be force sensitive and that's it.

0|0
    0|0
  • She actually is the definition of a mary sue.

Apparently though the director of the Last Jedi hated her and decided to trash all that suspense of who her parents probably were.

0|1
    0|0
    • I wouldn't call her a Mary sue-a quickl learne, perhaps

• Show All
    • @Sabretooth Yup, he flashed him with his vents. And Rey had no experience because she was a desert scavenger, not a pilot. Then she went on to master everything at light speed.

• As far as we know-like you said-she was a scavenger-who what all she learned about? She herself said that the only reason she hasn't left was because she was waiting for her parents-hell, for all I know-they taught her

• I am indifferent towards her. Though it feels like the movies are written for focus groups to make safe bank and not because it is a story they want to tell.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like Rey. She has guts and makes things happen, unlike Luke, who decided to do nothing but dick around on that island.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm indifferent. The new star wars movies are so similar to the original sequels that I've lost interest in the franchise.

1|0
    0|0
  • she is a mary-sue. overpowered to make people don't realised the flaws in the no story movie. nerfed in the 8th because she never need lessons in real XD

0|0
    0|0
  • Eh I don't really care for her but at the same time I don't care. I think they overpowered her too much. They should have showed her develop more rather than spontaneously be strong in tye force.

0|0
    0|0
  • Every protagonist in Star Wars is a marry sue. I like rey

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont like how she is too strong while having no training in the force in the first film while Kylo Ren had trained under the Jedi Luke Skywalker and also as Knight of Ren.

0|0
    0|0
  • I just watch the newer movies for the story line and universal character. A mary sue, possibly, probably, I haven't seen the newest.

0|0
    0|0
  • wtf is a Mary Sue? My only beef with her is that she's good at everything. It was a lame movie anyway.

0|1
    0|1
  • Desperate politically correctness by Disney for the full cast. Sad.

0|1
    0|0
  • She broke the lore and for that she gets the Rancor pit.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• If y'all think Rey's a mary sue I have some bad news for you about Anakin "literal Jesus allegory" skywalker

0|0
    0|1
    • What about him?
      It took him over a decade to become as powerful as he was.

• Literally from the second they met him he was the most powerful and special ever. Remember how he won an entire war that had been going on for years in a ship he'd never flown before, while surrounded by more competent pilots who had trained their entire lives for this exact thing, in under an hour? As a 9 year old?

• That's just force-based intuition and reflexes, not full on manipulation of the force.

• She was alright, i thought the actress did fairly well in the movie. I really did like the movie and plan to see the last jedi.

0|0
    0|0
  • She loves black men

0|1
    0|0
  • Indifferent.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes