Do you think board games are becoming obsolete?

Do you think board games are becoming obsolete??

1231

Most Helpful Guys

• Hmmmm. I don't know.

I find that being a guy who likes simple board games, I have always had trouble with getting people to play. I had four people at one time in my family. My mom, my dad, my sister, and me.

My dad would cheat, take back moves constantly, take forever to roll dice, cause fights, lie about placement, etc... We learned that playing him ended up being a very bad thing. Not that we played a lot of games anyway.

My sister moved out early on, so anything we DID play had to be three player or less. My mom stopped playing games by the late 80's... That meant for a long time, I had to either try to ignore the cheating just so I could play, or play by myself... so I never got to really do much with board games. Perhaps it's the lack of being able to find people to play, rarely getting to play a legit game, I don't know, but I loved board games in spite of having such poor experiences.

I finally have a nephew to play with... but we don't have that many games, and they have to be VERY simple kids games.

Outside of family, I get to have an occasional board game night... and I luckily have a few friends who like board games, so I play with them from time to time.

I have a few app versions of games. A few benefits of the technology is that I can save a game; I always have someone to play, whether online or via an "AI player." I can carry it with me. I'm always 20 seconds from being able to play a game.

I suppose it's changed a little. Now it seems to be a thing, but still kind of a specialty thing. Meetup groups dedicated to it. Games tournaments by gaming stores... it's still a niche market, but I think there's something about it that appeals to people. Maybe it's being able to get away from Smart Phones and interact. Maybe it's the learning part. Maybe its old school spending time with real friends... but I think it may last.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Bought one last week for the first time since ages, i have been grown up with terrible board games so i wanted to give it a shot to see how fun they can be who knows what will come out of it.
    But yeah in general they are becoming obsolete as video games typically can give the same experience better.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girls

• They should be called BORED games.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Not obsolete but less popular, we still play them as a family because its not about the game its about spending time together.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE