Do you think board games are becoming obsolete?

Do you think board games are becoming obsolete??

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Hmmmm. I don't know.

I find that being a guy who likes simple board games, I have always had trouble with getting people to play. I had four people at one time in my family. My mom, my dad, my sister, and me.

My dad would cheat, take back moves constantly, take forever to roll dice, cause fights, lie about placement, etc... We learned that playing him ended up being a very bad thing. Not that we played a lot of games anyway.

My sister moved out early on, so anything we DID play had to be three player or less. My mom stopped playing games by the late 80's... That meant for a long time, I had to either try to ignore the cheating just so I could play, or play by myself... so I never got to really do much with board games. Perhaps it's the lack of being able to find people to play, rarely getting to play a legit game, I don't know, but I loved board games in spite of having such poor experiences.

I finally have a nephew to play with... but we don't have that many games, and they have to be VERY simple kids games.

Outside of family, I get to have an occasional board game night... and I luckily have a few friends who like board games, so I play with them from time to time.

I have a few app versions of games. A few benefits of the technology is that I can save a game; I always have someone to play, whether online or via an "AI player." I can carry it with me. I'm always 20 seconds from being able to play a game.

I suppose it's changed a little. Now it seems to be a thing, but still kind of a specialty thing. Meetup groups dedicated to it. Games tournaments by gaming stores... it's still a niche market, but I think there's something about it that appeals to people. Maybe it's being able to get away from Smart Phones and interact. Maybe it's the learning part. Maybe its old school spending time with real friends... but I think it may last.

1|0
    1|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Bought one last week for the first time since ages, i have been grown up with terrible board games so i wanted to give it a shot to see how fun they can be who knows what will come out of it.
    But yeah in general they are becoming obsolete as video games typically can give the same experience better.

1|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• They should be called BORED games.

1|0
    1|0
  • Not obsolete but less popular, we still play them as a family because its not about the game its about spending time together.

1|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• it never gets old whooping some ass in a game of monopoly

who wanna catch this work?

i.ytimg.com/vi/dENiB38BK9Y/maxresdefault.jpg

2|0
    1|0
  • I don't think so. Children still play them, at least where I live. Besides, chess is bloody good fun, and other non-board but still analogue games like MTG are as well.

1|1
    1|0
  • definitely they really can't compete with all the other forms of entertainment I like some board games like scrabble but it's been so long since I've played it and I honestly have no interest to pick it up again.

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes sadly it is. Dam games are taking over.
    For Christmas I gave my brothers a deck of exploding kitties, in hope they socialize more this 2018.

1|0
    1|0
  • In a way, yes. And the more they keep coming out with special editions that are focused on games/shows, the more the market gets flooded, the more it turns people off

1|0
    1|0
  • Hmmm I think so, they are fun to play with friends but most people are stuck to their phones or play video games.

1|1
    1|0
  • I sure hope not!
    Actually I learn about new board games and card games quite often, so I think there's still a demand for them.

1|0
    1|0
  • I don't think so. There will be times when the computer is the last place you want to be at. And then, a good old board game session is what you crave for.

1|0
    1|0
  • I played a 4hour game of monopoly over Xmas! They’re definitely not going obsolete.

1|0
    1|0
  • Not in general, but old classics are being eclipsed by modern ones like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan and Cards Against Humanity.

1|1
    1|0
  • Maybe. But there is still value in sitting around a real tangible board and rolling real tangible dice, with your family.

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes they're getting harder to find , you can only buy most of them online
    if you go to Walmart they will tell you they don't sell them anymore.

1|0
    1|0
  • Never! It has, and always will, bring people together for a nice round of (whatever games floats your goat) One of my most favourite things to do

1|0
    0|0
  • No, they're definitely a lot rarer but I still have some & play with my family from time to time.

1|0
    1|0
  • There is a huge comunity of board game fans, most just dont play the standard ones.

1|0
    1|0
  • Don't know? My sister and her husband are freaking board games nerds!

1|0
    1|0
  • I hope not. Board games are a great way to spend time and interact with friends and family.

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes my friends and i play virtual however i do play chess with brother. ♛️♙️

1|0
    1|0
  • Some are, but Monopoly for example is never going to die.

1|0
    1|0
  • They're good in case of no power.

1|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 10

Recommended myTakes