Do you think it is possible to fully enjoy American tv-shows/movies if they are not English Speakers?

There are a lot of shows/movies produce in america that are strictly English speaking. However, not everyone outside the US speaks English as their first language and some people don't speak it at all. So when shows are dubbed over in their language, it is by someone else that is not the original actor. This to me would sort of ruin the show because the delivery of lines, tone/pitch of the dubbed voice may not be quite or exactly the same as the original actor.

For example -

• YES
    Vote A
  • NO
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You know, it must be because I have a lot of co-workers around the world and many of those countries (like Romania) seem to have very little of their own programming (i. e. there does not seem to be a Hollywood equivalent in Romania). Because of this, most of their programming is from other countries and dubbed and yes, much of it is American. It seems to be plenty popular but I wonder if a lot of the humor and nuance is lost in translation and they simply tolerate it because they have nothing else.

By the way, they watch the Big Bang Theory out there too.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't do dubbing in Finnish and I'm glad, because it's stupid. Also, one reason for not dubbing anything is because people learn languages better when watching with subtitles. A core base of why everyone in Finland has a pretty good or even above average understanding of English. I've learned to read subtitles from a young age and it has never affected my enjoyment of the shows. I rather watch a show and understand than to watch something, but have no idea what's going on.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• Hungarian dubs are sometimes better than the English ones (Hungarian is a pretty diverse and complex language, which is giving a broader range in comedy dubs.). However The Big Bang Theory sucks as it is. I never understood what people likes in that show. Its making less educated people believe that they're watching an intelligent series, so they turn intelligent too by simply watching it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol... I am indian an I love bigbang although their portrayal of indians is far from accurate it's really a funny show... although sometimes I don't understand inside (region limited) jokes which only people from USA can understand.

0|0
    0|0
  • You could always have subs. That way the show isn't really ruined and people who speak different languages can understand. It's how people watch Japanese shows/anime.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say it still can be quite enjoyable nonetheless and let's also not forget that William Shatner should always be dubbed :P

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country we don't dub the voices of the actors (we do that only for cartoons and 3d animation), we just use subtitles.

0|1
    0|0
  • we mainly use subtitles here. otherwise it can ruin certain play on words but it is a small thing to let ruin your fun in my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • Get use to reading subs buddy.

Also you seem to write well in English so you should be good

0|1
    0|0
  • I personally can't imagine anyone enjoying the big bang theory even if they spoke English.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lol the big bang theory isn't funny in any language

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really, u get what is going on but it is never as funny.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always prefer the English audio.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• Yeah. I watch a lot of American sitcoms, sure few of the jokes were hard to understand, but most of the jokes I actually got.
    You just should know the language pretty good because of a lot of puns and jokes, cos you can't always depend on the translations.

0|0
    0|0
  • the whole world watches freaking American tv shows and movies. where do you think we learnt our American English from?

0|0
    0|0
  • i thoroughly enjoy anime with subtitles all the damn time. by the way this is my 300th opinion!!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes