Do you think it is possible to fully enjoy American tv-shows/movies if they are not English Speakers?

There are a lot of shows/movies produce in america that are strictly English speaking. However, not everyone outside the US speaks English as their first language and some people don't speak it at all. So when shows are dubbed over in their language, it is by someone else that is not the original actor. This to me would sort of ruin the show because the delivery of lines, tone/pitch of the dubbed voice may not be quite or exactly the same as the original actor.

For example -

• YES
  • NO

412

Most Helpful Guy

• You know, it must be because I have a lot of co-workers around the world and many of those countries (like Romania) seem to have very little of their own programming (i. e. there does not seem to be a Hollywood equivalent in Romania). Because of this, most of their programming is from other countries and dubbed and yes, much of it is American. It seems to be plenty popular but I wonder if a lot of the humor and nuance is lost in translation and they simply tolerate it because they have nothing else.

By the way, they watch the Big Bang Theory out there too.

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't do dubbing in Finnish and I'm glad, because it's stupid. Also, one reason for not dubbing anything is because people learn languages better when watching with subtitles. A core base of why everyone in Finland has a pretty good or even above average understanding of English. I've learned to read subtitles from a young age and it has never affected my enjoyment of the shows. I rather watch a show and understand than to watch something, but have no idea what's going on.