Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?

I do ancient history so a lot of my interaction with art is through statues and sculptures as opposed to paintings (since so many of them didn't survive over the years!) which means that my preference is for statues. I love the power and focus that goes into carving marble to your ideals or the skill that goes into creating moulds for the bronze statues. But I'm bored at the minute and mostly interested in what you lot think (if anyone's interested enough to answer this question :P )
  • Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?Paintings
  • Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?Statues

630

Most Helpful Guy

• I have a preference for paintings but I like statues too. I think what fascinates me about paintings is that you can literally depict anything you want. The canvas is your world, in some sense. Statues on the other hand are usually heads of people (busts) or whole bodies (correct me if I'm wrong). So, while I do admire the great skills and patience it must take to create a marble statue, I think paintings are more interesting because they are more varied.

There is, however, one exception and that's gigantic "statues" of whole buildings. For example if you think about the famous temple in Petra (Jordan) or the small villages in the south-western US that have been carved into massive rock by cultures that lived thousands of years ago. I visited one of those places in New Mexico and it still gives me goosebumps. This used to be just a big ol' rock that went straight down in a 90 degree angle. Now there exists this "cave" and on the plateau of the cave they carved out about 10 buildings where people actually used to live in. They even had enough space for a small marketplace right at the edge of the abyss. That's just insane. The work and organization it must have taken to hack out all that rock in a systematic way with extremely simplistic tools is almost unimaginable. Whatever reason there was for this, these people must have liked that rock very, very much.

Most Helpful Girl

• Paintings. I feel like you can capture so much more feeling. You can also add scenery in the background of your focal object. Whereas with statues, they are kind of just there in the open and sometimes you don't know exactly what/where the statue is depicting/from.