Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?

I do ancient history so a lot of my interaction with art is through statues and sculptures as opposed to paintings (since so many of them didn't survive over the years!) which means that my preference is for statues. I love the power and focus that goes into carving marble to your ideals or the skill that goes into creating moulds for the bronze statues. But I'm bored at the minute and mostly interested in what you lot think (if anyone's interested enough to answer this question :P )
  • Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?Paintings
    Vote A
  • Which do you prefer: paintings or statues?Statues
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have a preference for paintings but I like statues too. I think what fascinates me about paintings is that you can literally depict anything you want. The canvas is your world, in some sense. Statues on the other hand are usually heads of people (busts) or whole bodies (correct me if I'm wrong). So, while I do admire the great skills and patience it must take to create a marble statue, I think paintings are more interesting because they are more varied.

There is, however, one exception and that's gigantic "statues" of whole buildings. For example if you think about the famous temple in Petra (Jordan) or the small villages in the south-western US that have been carved into massive rock by cultures that lived thousands of years ago. I visited one of those places in New Mexico and it still gives me goosebumps. This used to be just a big ol' rock that went straight down in a 90 degree angle. Now there exists this "cave" and on the plateau of the cave they carved out about 10 buildings where people actually used to live in. They even had enough space for a small marketplace right at the edge of the abyss. That's just insane. The work and organization it must have taken to hack out all that rock in a systematic way with extremely simplistic tools is almost unimaginable. Whatever reason there was for this, these people must have liked that rock very, very much.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Paintings. I feel like you can capture so much more feeling. You can also add scenery in the background of your focal object. Whereas with statues, they are kind of just there in the open and sometimes you don't know exactly what/where the statue is depicting/from.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• I like both but statues require a lot more skill.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you capture way more in paintings they tell a whole story.

upload.wikimedia.org/.../...e_of_Waterloo_1815.PNG
    Love this.

2|0
    0|0
  • I prefer paintings because it can tell a story, make you feel emotions or make you feel emerged in the setting of the theme.

Statues in my opinion are meant to glorify someone or something rather than let the emotions help you decide your opinion of the art. I still like statues but I’m less interested in the individual’s accomplishments and accolades and more interested in what the individual feels and thinks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well... Depends, which time period and culture are we talking about?

1|0
    0|0
    • Whichever. I only mentioned ancient history since that's my personal interest. You can base it on your own personal interest ooooor you can go for a general sweep of periods and cultures and say which you prefer in general :)

• If it's statues or paintings I'll go with paintings then. While I don't dislike statues there's a certain allure in the fact that one will never know when the painting will simply cease to exist. Destroying statutes isn't easy, albeit definitely possible, but a painting may be destroyed by simply being in the open for too long.

• I like looking at paintinfs of landscapes & wondering how i'd look inside them, like under a tree reading a book or sitting on a cliff by an ocean splashing against some rocks playing the harmonica. Sculptures give you considerably less to think about while taking up much more space, but they have a place.

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings... Possibly because I can't paint to save my life, but have a bit of experience carving.

1|0
    0|0
  • In general paintings, but a nice detailed statue can be impressive as well.
    Maybe if one day we get a statue (the GAG heroes or so) we'll love statues more 8) 8)

1|0
    0|0
  • The colors and imagery in paintings, including complex backgrounds or surrealistic elements, are neigh impossible to convey in statues.
    Not only that, art styles (such as Van Gogh, or Rembrandt, or O'Keefe, or Piccasso), seem to stand out more in paintings, with their individuality, than in statue work.

That said, the time, and the patience, and the planning, and the size and grandeur, and the timelessness, and some of the amazing optical illusions that a true master can do in making statues, especially ones that have to be carved?
    Absolutely mind blowing.
    I have to choose statues.

1|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy paintings, sometimes one painting has different meanings and several interpretations.

1|0
    0|0
  • Both has own values! but if i have to choose one, i would go with the paintings. I can put them in my room but cannot put statue ;) lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Statues excites me more, although it's true motifs & themes are the first priority to like a piece of art.

1|0
    0|0
  • Statues, have you ever seen a statue with of a life size dragon? So fearsome >3

1|0
    0|0
  • The statues; it requires far-more skill to capture a human or animal form in three dimensions than in two dimensions, which is most impressive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings are amazing, but sculptures and so beyond paintings, it's not a flat cannas, you have to create it and imagine it in 3d

1|0
    0|0
  • It's like apple and oranges

4|1
    0|0
    • Hmm, sure, but so are romance and horror films or pizza and ice cream. Totally different things but, if pushed, you can still choose a favourite! Or choose what you, in general, tend to prefer, even though they're both awesome or completely different :)

• Statutes maybe

• 1/2 and 1/2. David is amazing but also the Sistine Chapel is amazing as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • Typically paintings, I just can't feel the same emotions looking at a statue

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings.
    They give much more data compared to statues.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like colorful things, so I prefer paintings

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer statues...

1|1
    0|0
  • Gives for colour to the idea

1|0
    0|0
  • It's all about art, subject and skill.

1|0
    0|0
  • Doth

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the subject

1|1
    0|0
  • Paintings. That's art.

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings

1|0
    0|0
  • painting

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings

1|0
    0|0
  • I like statues because I like to imagine they were once alive and somehow got turned into stone. :) It's easier to picture real people through statues than through paintings for me, and that gives me a more powerful feeling and appreciation for what's been created.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Paintings. Statues kind of creep me out.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like statues however the space they take up is a lot, and they're super heavy but also somewhat breakable

1|0
    0|0
  • I kinda prefer paintings, they are colorful and more likable.

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer Paintings :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Painting

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes