How has your music taste changed?

I used to be all into hardcore rock and then now i find myself listening to pop and rap xD I used to hate rap now for some reason I enjoy it heavily haha I still love my rock obviously

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's my music taste journey:
    Pre-teens: I liked pop music in general speaking. Michael Jackson and lady Gaga was some favorites.

During early teenage: I liked both pop, dub step and rock music. I liked Black Veil Brides at that time and a bit screamo.

During mid- and late teenage: I stopped liking BVB, screamo, dubstep etc. But I still liked pop and rap. When it comes to pop I still liked Michael Jackson. I also started liking Halsey and Whitney Houston a bit in addition to other artists. I can't come up with their names because I don't remember all of them.

I also started liking classical music like Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi, Bach and many others. In addition I started liking film music and folk music. I also started liking some jazz and electro swing music.

Now: I've similar taste as late teenage where I likes classical, folk and film music in addition to pop, electro swing and rap. I'm nowadays also addicted on Hisham Abbas' song "Nari Nareen" and some of Sami Yusuf's songs. They're very addictive. I also likes songs like "misere mei, deus" and "hava nagila".

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, a few times. In middle school I listened to a lot of pop and hip hop and through my high school years I listened to a lot post-hardcore bands. Now I avoid pop music at all cost, I'm specific with the type of rap and hip hop I listen to and for the most part I listen to alternative r&b and indie music.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• It hasn't really changed per se, instead I've added new genres through the years. Basically...
    First kids songs
    Then added rock in elementary school
    Soon after rap and some pop
    Started listening to metal somewhere between elementary and secondary school
    Added EDM and more subgenres of rock and metal in secondary school
    Progressive music came in upper secondary school
    Also reggae, soul, jazz, blues and also started to enjoy classical music in a new way
    By the time I was an adult there was really no genre limits to my music taste. I listen to pretty much anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was in primary school (8-12years old), I listened to Queen, old style green day, Dire straits and everything old style rock you could think of. All I can remember from that time is that the few friends I had at that time didn't appreciate my taste in music as they listened to the pop stuff like bruno mars etc.

At secondary school I found about Sensation Festival. I started listening to Armin van Buuren, Tiësto and also stuff like Skrillex. (He was really amazing at that time (2012), now I dont like his music that much anymore)
    Together with a friend I actually set up an online radio show with a schoolmate, we played mostly dance songs from David Guetta, Armin van Buuren, Avicii, and all other dance/edm related music that was out there.

3rd year of secondary school I started to play guitar (electric). I started listening to bluesrock and again old school rock stuff like Queen, Gary Clark Jr., BB King.

And now 4 years later im back in the Dance Festival vibe listening to everything that will play on Mysteryland or other relatable festivals 🎉🎉🎉
    And occasionally I listen to jazz if I feel down :p

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was eight I started listening to Metallica (my dad is a metalhead so it felt kinda natural to start there). I explored some metal but when I started searching on my own I found myself in rock for a while.

As I went through that edgy teen phase it became a triangle of rock punk and metal. Which was perfect for that age xD. Also through all of my childhood I played classic piano so that was also a big part in there.

Moving from my early teens I got more rest in my music choice so it was mostly alternative rock and a tad indy here and there (as long as it wasn't floatsy melodic things). This is where I experimented with some genres like post jazz and such.

Which brings me to late teens and the present. I never really dropped any of the things I mentioned but more than ever I latched on to metal. Not to make a statement but because of the rhythmic work and the energy it gives me. I explored sub generes and found some things I really liked. After I became older and more sociable I started to go to parties, dnb parties to be exact. And apart from neurofunk and liquid I also found some trap and dubstep I liked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Growing up my favorite musician was Bob Marley & i've alwasy admired the mellow beats of Reggae. I used to only listen to him & his kids but now I listen to a more diverse number of bands and artists, I find its under appreciated. I don't like Most rap music, like 70% of it is derivative garbage, but i've always listened to some of it since like grade school on. There's a local Seattle rapper named Billy The Fridge I like to go see & the comedic rapper Filthy Frank is fucking awesome. Gradyon Square is this atheist rapper a friend of mine recommended and sometimes I like to listen to Eazy E or old school rappers in his vain. I sometimes do indulge in the good ignorant rap music, like with Young Jeezy sometimes when i'm driving through a nice neighborhood I like to blare J. E. E. Z. Y & laugh about it. I started listening to classic rock more when I was like 13 and to this day enjoy a lot ot of Ozzy Osburne, Black Sabbath, Soundgarden, Heart, & Queen. What i've found lately is that i've come to come to appreciate Folk & Classical music a lot more. I listen to a lot of Bob Dylan, John Denver, Simon/Garfunkel & I consider Gil Scott Heron to be kind of folksy music. The folk side I attribute to discovering Cat Stevens whose music I discovered watching this movie Harold & Maude. On the classical side I've been taking reccomendations from some role models of mine & my family has turned me on to some people. Jean Sibelius & Alexander Borodin are my jam lately.

One genre I've never thought i'd like but have branched out into is country, because of Willie Nelson & Johnny Cash.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much the same, just like bands from other genres as well.
    Always been a rock head.

1|0
    0|0
    • what bands?

• Show All
    • Would you believe me if I said I had a 10 inch penis?

If you do, that's amazing. My best friends, sisters partner knows the entire Hands Like houses band.

• haha that took a turn xD
      he's my bfs, bestfriends cousin if that makes sense. He gives them VIP access everytime but they haven't seen each other in a while

• I enjoyed numetal, metal and rap as a kid and then had this brief period where I enjoyed pop music during my middle-teens but it reverted back to numetal, metal, as well as rock and alternative rock. Rap too. I also acquired a taste for certain types of electronic music, like what Allan Walker produces as well as Hardstyle - but that's mostly for when I go out for a jog or walk long distances. Background noise.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its been back and forth for me. I go from rock/punk alternative to island reggae, to world, etc etc

1|0
    0|0
    • i coudlnt really get into regae but then again i said that with rap

• Well I was born and raised in Hawaii lol couldnt escape it 😂

• I completely stopped listening to rap and pop music.
    I only listen to classical, impressionist, baroque, jazz, opera, and foreign language songs (mostly hindi or Spanish)

I find rap music especially nowadays hypnotic and degenerate. Its bad to hear the things they rap about constantly.

0|0
    0|0
    • Agreed! I listen to softer tone music, and frown down upon the devaluation of morals. The entertainers that are pretty popular are distasteful to me.

• @CuriousGeeourge it is bad for the mind and spirit

When young men listen to songs that say fuck bitches and women ain't shit all day long , its bad.

And when girls hear songs about being promiscuous and hooking up over and over again its not good either.

Glad to hear other people are filtering what they listen to

• Here is my music taste throughout my life;

Toddler, 1-6: Anything of course.

Child, 7-9: I kinda went for dubstep, trap, chillstep.

Pre-Teen, 10-12: A mixture of Trappish-Dubstep and Hip Hop/Rap.

Teen 13-17 (Now): Hip Hop/Rap and Lofi Rap are in my main playlist, I occasionally play Dubstep just to re-live the Nostolgia.

0|0
    0|0
  • I began to enjoy instrumental and orchestral music in addition to the other stuff I liked. I've also grown to appreciate some rap and even metal (not modern rap, that stuff is... just, just no.)

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was young I was into french variety, at 12 it was my rap time, then I listened to old techno around 16. At 18, I prefered dubstep/drum&bass, and now, since I'm 22, I'm listening to hardstyle and never changed since

0|0
    0|0
  • As I young kid I seemed to have only liked classical music, laterat around 6-7 I liked rock music. Then at 12-13 I started liking rap.
    Now I enjoy rap the most as a whole, though a good Russian rock song would likely be more enjoyable

0|0
    0|0
  • I have been listening to Melodic Deathmetal since I was 10 years old, as well as G-Unit. My main taste stays with metal, but I do surely switch it up. So actually not much has changed.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nice! I used to listen to hip hop and Reggae all day and now it's 70% metal. Mostly melodeath and thrash haha

• Show All
    • Thrash*

• Hahaha alright I'll remember that lol

• I use to enjoy fast paced music and raps quite a bit. I still listen to them for time to time but find myself listening to more slow and sad songs. My friends say its because im depressed.

0|0
    0|0
  • The older I get I find music does not inspire as much as it used to. When I was younger some song literally were life changing. I used to like heavy metal but now I like more classic rock.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was always a fan of folk music until I found the Dropkick Murphys.
    Now I've developed a taste for punk and rock.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be pure metal as a kid. Now I'm indie and an audiophile.

0|0
    0|0
  • I started off liking trance and techno basically anything from the 90's to the early 2000's... i still do but with the addition of dubstep

0|0
    0|0
  • Mostly just 70s and shit like that. . . Don't get me wrong there are some good songs out there, but not my taste.

0|0
    0|0
  • Very little actually. I still listen to the same stuff I did 25 years ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've noticed I like my music a little bit more soulful. My work out music is a different story.

0|0
    0|0
  • In middle school I'd listen to hard rock and metal, changed to edm in highschool, now I listen to rap and lofi

0|0
    0|0
  • It hasn't changed since elementary school when I used to dislike some rap and edn

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to like Pop, rap, R&B but now back to the 80s, 90s rock, blues and country. But I still like Pop.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be straight hard rock and metal. Now I like more folk and bluegrass and other things.

0|0
    0|0
  • First pop, then EDM, then music scores, then rock, then rap. Still into all of them tho

0|0
    0|0
  • I use to be a heavy metal only guy but I listen to rap and hip hop now too

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm up there age wise so yes still like that ole classic rock that rap has nothing on..

0|0
    0|0
  • from hardcore metal to instrumental jazz and city pop

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• it hasn't changed very drastically. I always loved metal and hard rock all my life, but in my early teen years I started having a punk obsession (old school punk) now I'm back to being the total metalhead XD I still love my punk though lol and I've had a growing love for thrash metal, apparently because it has the punk influences in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • As I have gotten older I listen to harder metal music. Lamb of God, Gojira, Mastodon, Meshuggah & Megadeth.

0|0
    0|0
  • Same girl, I used to love rock when i was in high school and i still adore it but by the end of high school i started listening to old school rap and now I've started listening to the newer rap too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not much... From listening to kids music, to listening to anime and vocaloid (and still music from kids shows) I've always hated mainstream music...

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm only allowed to listen to gospel, but I love R&B it's amazing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've always liked all kinds of music. That hasn't changed.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it’s really changed

0|0
    0|0
  • My pains changed my music list☺

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve expanded my taste to accept more newer music

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to like something called Vocaloid. I can't listen to it now, I cringe when hearing it, and I hate it.
    I've always been into metal, mostly Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
    I dislike those two now too.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes