When you listen to a song, do you attend more to the lyrics or to the melody and rhythm?

Which one do you find yourself appreciating more: the lyrics (i. e., what is said during the song), or the music (i. e., the overall beat and flow of the song)?
  • I pay more attention to the lyrics.
  • I pay more attention to the musical qualities (beat, rhythm, melody, etc.).
  • I pay equal attention to both.
    Vote C

1336

Most Helpful Guy

• Mostly melody. If a song isn't melodious, I won't even listen to it however good the lyrics are. Once the melody criterion is satisfied, I go for the lyrics. If I love the lyrics as well, I tag the song as a "GOOD SONG". Else I say that isn't for me.

Being harsh with my judgement, I can only choose a handful of songs for myself. This explains why I don't listen to contemporary singers like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Shakira, ...

My fav songs are some of the finest music!

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depend on the song that I'm listening to and what I'm using it for. If it's for a run/workout session - I'm all for the beat/tempo/rhythm of the song and would go with a playlist with little to no words as it's all about the background beats which keep me pumped lol. However, if I'm soaking in the tub or looking to fall asleep, I tend to focus on lyrics and get drawn by them. Songs that I dislike the beat and background music/sounds I would tottaly disregard and listen to the lyrics to.