When you listen to a song, do you attend more to the lyrics or to the melody and rhythm?

When you listen to a song, do you attend more to the lyrics or to the melody and rhythm?
Which one do you find yourself appreciating more: the lyrics (i. e., what is said during the song), or the music (i. e., the overall beat and flow of the song)?
  • I pay more attention to the lyrics.
    Vote A
  • I pay more attention to the musical qualities (beat, rhythm, melody, etc.).
    Vote B
  • I pay equal attention to both.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Mostly melody. If a song isn't melodious, I won't even listen to it however good the lyrics are. Once the melody criterion is satisfied, I go for the lyrics. If I love the lyrics as well, I tag the song as a "GOOD SONG". Else I say that isn't for me.

Being harsh with my judgement, I can only choose a handful of songs for myself. This explains why I don't listen to contemporary singers like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Shakira, ...

My fav songs are some of the finest music!

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depend on the song that I'm listening to and what I'm using it for. If it's for a run/workout session - I'm all for the beat/tempo/rhythm of the song and would go with a playlist with little to no words as it's all about the background beats which keep me pumped lol. However, if I'm soaking in the tub or looking to fall asleep, I tend to focus on lyrics and get drawn by them. Songs that I dislike the beat and background music/sounds I would tottaly disregard and listen to the lyrics to.

1|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• I'm first a musician then a singer so I first listen to the melody, rhythm and the individual instruments and then the lyrics and signing.

1|0
    0|1
  • I like the musical side of it to the point i dislike most songs with lyrics. I'm sure there is some kind of psych diagnosis there to be made :P

Even when there are lyrics, i only listen for them to add to the melody and don't pay any attention to what they say/mean.

1|0
    0|1
  • I like listening to lyrics and then the music ... and that's why I like linkin park and Eminem the. One direction... They represent what they given to reach at this height... all types if pain and courage, suffering... Which is your favorite singer/band?

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh, I have many and across all genres, but The Scorpions have always held a dear place in my heart.

• Ohk... I don't like romantic songs because many of then are too imaginary...

• It depends on the music... or sometimes lack thereof. A lot of modern rap only has the lyric going for it. (Which is part of why I generally dislike it). Ican enjoy and delve into music with no lyrics but I can rarely get into lyrics if they don't have a good beat or music to go with.

1|0
    0|0
  • The overall feel of the whole thing. Some pieces I synergise better with tunes void of vocals. Other pieces are blessed by divine vocals that one cannot ignore. I cannot explain it any differently.. But the music I enjoy listening to, 'must' hit my soul.

1|0
    0|1
  • I've had this discussion with several people.
    Music is melody and rhythm. Lyrics is poetry. That's why instrumentals are considered to be music while reciting lyrics isn't.

While I can appreciate good lyrics, I listen to and evaluate music entirely on the basis of its sound and how that sound communicates with me.

1|0
    0|1
  • I'm all about the sound, the music, the chord changes, the major chords the minor chords, the melody etc. I've liked songs with gross lyrics because the sound is so good, I've disliked songs with awesome, poetic lyrics because the sound is bad.

1|0
    0|1
  • Depends on the band and type of music.

Most music I listen to is instrumental though with rarely any lyrics or singing in it so for me the instruments and sounds I pay more attention to because that is where the story is.

1|0
    0|1
  • I only ever pay attention to the lyrics if its a rap song with lots of meaning or a song with lots of meaning in general but i usually listen to instrumental songs cause then i can just groove with the beautiful rhythm , melody and beat

1|0
    0|0
  • It's the music and the beat that sucks in your head. Besides it's easy to recognize songs by the music.

1|0
    0|0
    • But it's much harder to look them up when you don't know a word of the lyrics. :P

• Two points;

1, Music has always talked to me through the lyrics. They give me clarity in life

2, I teach dance meaning I always get into the melody as a means to find tunes to choreograph with particular dances

1|0
    0|0
  • Lyrics for sure are more important to me. But some bands don't even out any meaning/stories into their lyrics so it depends on the band/artist. I enjoy almost all music for what it is and don't critique it unless the quality is just really sub par.

1|0
    0|1
  • Im a melody person.
    A song could be great with just a melody..
    It cannot be great if the melody sucks and the lyrics are "impeccable".
    At least from where I see it.

1|0
    0|1
  • The overall beat and flow of the song. Since, I got songs in my playlist whose, lyrics can't be comprehended.
    Like:- https://youtu.be/JGdauyDKKoQ

1|0
    0|1
  • totally depends on how i feel that time.
    generally when i feel sad i pay attention to lyrics,
    most of the time it is the music

3|1
    0|0
  • i pay more attention to musical qualities such as beat, rythm, in fact majority of musics i like have a rythm that i like but nor always good lyrics.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am a lyricist so i take much consideration into listening to the lyrics. But the music itself is also essential.

2|0
    0|0
  • Lyrics are pretty important to me, but the rhythm/sound has to pass before I give the lyrics a listen.

2|0
    0|0
  • I'm mostly listening to the lyrics because they are the hardest thing to hear. The rhythm and melody take care of themselves. Of course if there's a catchy riff I start playing my air guitar.

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely the beat & rythym. Sometimes I don't even listen to the lyrics. I can listen to a song for years and still not know how to sing it.

1|0
    0|1
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• I pay equal attention to both.
    I think I usually pay more attention to the instrumental/beat of a song. There are songs that I've been listening to for years and I've just noticed that I like the lyrics too. Though sometimes I almost immediately realize that I really like or relate to the lyrics.
    It all depends on the song. Some songs I hate the beat but love the lyrics, and vice versa.

1|0
    0|1
  • I honestly couln´t care less about the lyrics. I also listen to swedish songs for example wher I couldn´t understand the lyrics and as I googled them I was quite... disturbed. It´s actually better for me to not know what the lyrics actually are or mean, because I always accotiate a certain vibe with the song´s melody and the meaning of the lyrics can destroy this kinda.

1|0
    0|0
  • I pay equal attention to both. :)
    I love listening to the lyrics when i'm in a emotional type mood as i can find a lot of meaning in songs and find myself relating to the lyrics, but i equally care about the beat and rhythm so is very much so a mixture for me.

1|0
    0|1
    • Old but foreigner 1984s I wanna know what love is and cutting crew been in love before. Check them out. Tell me what you think.

• It depends. When I am in a decent mood I listen to the beat/rhythm. When I am sad, depressed, or had a bad day, I listen to the lyrics.

1|0
    0|1
    • That's really interesting. I find myself doing the same.

• "When you are sad, you understand the lyrics, and when you are happy, you enjoy the music."
      - Frank Ocean

• I like to have it all in a song, but with a clear emphasis on lyrics. I can't stand stupid songs.

1|0
    0|1
  • I don't like most mainstream music because they mostly have very plain lyrics. I like vocaloid music cause of the deep lyrics.

1|0
    0|0
  • Lyrics, absolutely.

1|0
    0|1
  • I attend to it all man!

1|0
    0|1
  • The melody

1|0
    0|1
  • Lyrics

1|0
    0|1
  • I don't care about the lyrics - the voice and instrumentals is the only thing that matters.

1|0
    0|0
  • Melody

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes