Have you seen the purge? Would you be down with the idea?

One night of the year all crimes are legal. you can do whatever you want. get the hate the violence out of you and then we can have a peaceful year. should it become a reality? Have  you  seen  the  purge? Would  you  be  down  with  the  idea.??

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not really how people work, so the Purge is super impractical (and a bad movie). People who perform crimes typically do it for two reasons. Either they're desperate and the crime would help them in some way, or they enjoy performing those crimes and continue doing them. Making crime legal for one day each year won't stop those things from happening.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I would not. Putting ethical arguments aside, implementing a free-for-all, get-your-crime-on day would just be ineffective from a crime prevention standpoint and problematic from a socioeconomic standpoint.

For one, it would increase taxes and make the cost of living go way up. The infrastructure damages (as most people that participate would be raiding, stealing, and vandalizing) from that one night would require lots of funds to repair. People--home and business-owners alike--would be spending considerable amounts on weapons, ammunitions, fortifications, and security systems. If you value your life and property, you would HAVE to spend on these things, whether you choose to participate or not. Sure, this would increase business opportunities for such manufacturers and the subsequent clean-up crew, but in the end, that would create even more of a wealth gap between the rich and poor. Essentially, there would be an entire industry built around that single night. As such, a good chunk of the places which participants envision looting and wrecking would simply be untouchable. Similarly, a good chunk of the people you have a personal vendetta against would probably also be untouchable (if you can afford to be secure, chances are, the enemies you've made in your day-to-day life can, too), or simply very well-hidden. You'd probably have hired mercenaries policing the streets, too.

That brings me to my crime prevention standpoint. Most serious crimes, like homicide, are not premeditated; they're a heat-of-the-moment/lapse of judgement type of scenarios. A Purge night is not going to prevent non-premeditated crime from happening the rest of the time. Furthermore, the vast majority of crimes are not violent, and are not spurred by a desire to be violent. The majority of criminals are not psychopathic. Of those that are, do you really think that a single night out of the whole year could get them to restrain their violent impulses? Furthermore, how many people would even see it worth the risk to go after someone on a night like that? And lastly, there might not be legal ramifications for one's actions, but there sure as hell will be social ones. If I'm your next-door neighbour, and I go out a murder spree or see you dead bodies being carried away from my house the next morning, are you going to look at me the same way the next time we cross paths? I don't think so.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• However odd, it still is an effective way of relieving stress

0|0
    0|0
  • We live in a world where the purge is happening every minute somewhere in d world. Its a shame really. But i get why you ask this and i think its becous people are so afraid of the unknown that they would like to know when sh#t in gonna go down so they can prepare. It ain't happenin. The world is a jungle ! Learn how your strength IS perfected in your weakness 😉

1|0
    0|0
  • No, the poor die and the rich get richer. The only accomplishment we gain is that there's less people struggling, that's it. I'd like something where you have to share an act of kindness on that day to someone less fortunate. That would be better. Plus I live in Britain so it would be people fighting with tea and biscuits

0|2
    0|0
    • Exactly, the rich higher mercenaries and profit off the poor trying to survive. They aren't in danger. Plus if you have violence you want to get out that involves murder, there are better and less deadly ways

• Ironically, I was certain the purge would become a reality under Trump. Of course, he still has time.
    I would only participate if it was like part 3, where the rich folks weren't immune. Otherwise, I think I'd just fortify and hope someone was dumb enough to come after me.

0|0
    0|0
  • that shit had the dumbest premise... and the people were even dumber, and the directing was somehow dumber than that

0|1
    0|0
  • HAHAHAHAHA no.

1 - I don't have a gun
    2 - I'm a poor fighter
    3 - I'm a poor runner
    4 - My house isn't built for a siege
    5 - I'm poor.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not my cup of tea but I think I could barricade and defend my place fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dislike horror movies but the purge movies it's a mixture between a horror and a action movie results : a Good movie

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. They could have have a shoot the serial rapist/killer day tough. That would be alright

0|0
    0|0
  • Only someone whos clinically insane would think thats a good idea and should become a reality

0|1
    0|0
    • Thank you. The only reasonable person on this thread. Wtf is wrong with people.

• The fact they genuinely think "and then we can have a peaceful year" is hilarious

• Yeah, the whole premise of it is ridiculous to even fathom. Like wtf hahaha

• No because rich people would be safer then poor people from crime that night

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Law is not natural.

0|0
    0|1
  • Nooooooop. Noo nop nop.

0|1
    0|0
  • I hope not

0|1
    0|0
  • It would only lead to more violence, hate begets more hate!

0|1
    0|0
  • Never

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Hell no. Exactly what sense would that make? It will cost a hell of a lot of money, that could really be used to fund the poor population who are supposed to be the people that can't protect themselves from the purge. It will cause trauma, which will stunt society's growth, and really, how many people will actually participate? We are not programmed as human beings to kill people out of sole bloodlust or self gain, because we are supposed to grow as a species, not kill others off. Rape and theft would be the two biggest crimes, however, which again would cause trauma.

0|1
    0|0
  • Check out college humor's video on the problem with the purge.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, it serves no logical purpose

0|1
    0|0
    • It would make people aware that they dont only have to worry about laws in their literal definition. They had to be more selfaware. Also people would know that they can quickly get a worse punishment than calculateable stuff like prison. Also it would bring a bit more survival into the human life which evolutionary seen is a good thing.

• Show All
    • You can't solve violence with violence and expect a good result, forcing innocent people through that is horrible

• Physically spoken the only way to solve violence is violence. And as an innocent person in a shitty area i can tell itd be better knowing when i have to be cautious instead of every day possibly meeting somebody whos out of his mind.

• Maybe. Am I the only girl?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes