Is Graffiti Art or Vandalism?

Is Graffiti Art or Vandalism?Graffiti are writing or drawings that have been scribbled, scratched, or painted illicitly on a wall or other surface, often within public view.

Graffiti range from simple written words to elaborate wall paintings, and they have existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire.

Graffiti may also express underlying social and political messages and a whole genre of artistic expression is based upon spray paint graffiti styles
  • Art
  • Vandalism
  • I don't know/ Other
    Vote C

2319

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean, it can be both, and it can be neither. Graffiting someone else's property is obviously illegal.

Imagine you owned a daycare or something and came in one morning and found graffiti on the wall. It doesn't matter how good the peice actually is, it's unwanted, potentially gives clients the wrong impression about your business, and now you're going to have to cover it up or wash it off. It could have been an amazing piece of art, but that doesn't make it magically legal.

On the other hand, sometimes graffiti is not art. Sure, you could argue that art is subjective, but is some teenager spending 5 seconds to spray a crude word (typically profanity) really art?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends, if it's just a try hard teenager who wants to be a bad boy and show his friends he did it... It is just plain vandalism.
    If it actually contains a message, or creates beauty out of the urban ugliness, then it can be set.
    Sadly, 99% of cases are like the 1st one.