Anyone else enjoy reading about history?

I'm currently curious about the history of the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw and Seminole).

324

Most Helpful Guy

• What was it that made these five tribes more civilized than other tribes? Their willingness to adopt western ideologies? I wonder how many native tribes considered Europeans to be civilized? If peace and honor and integrity and honesty were to be considered traits of a civilized culture, then I would hazard a guess that all the native tribes were more civilized than the white new-comers. I guess civilization is a matter of perspective.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • They were called that by white men.

• Nearly all Native American tribes had agriculture. So that had nothing to do with whites calling them civilized. And most tribes were also willing to trade with white people, at least in the beginning. So it couldn't really have been that either. It was the tribes which most readily adopted Western ideas, such as Christianity, that were dubbed civilized.

• Are you sure? I thought most Native American tribes were hunter-gatherers except the Five Civilized Tribes and maybe the Iroquois Nations.

Most Helpful Girl

• On the whole, yes, I do love history, but my most of my interest lies within the Pre-, Ancient, and Postclassical periods of history. I'm not really interested in the events and politics of the Modern Age (i. e., anything from the 1500's onward). Most of my interest within that period is towards art and literary history.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Do you like the Roman Republic? Or Heian Japan?

• I haven't read much on Japanese history, but I do like early Roman history. Are those your favourite civilizations/time periods?

• Two of them, yes. I'm fascinated by the late Republic and the period leading up to the coronation of Augustus as emperor in 27 BCE.