Anyone else enjoy reading about history?

I'm currently curious about the history of the Five Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw and Seminole).

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• What was it that made these five tribes more civilized than other tribes? Their willingness to adopt western ideologies? I wonder how many native tribes considered Europeans to be civilized? If peace and honor and integrity and honesty were to be considered traits of a civilized culture, then I would hazard a guess that all the native tribes were more civilized than the white new-comers. I guess civilization is a matter of perspective.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • They were called that by white men.

• Show All
    • Nearly all Native American tribes had agriculture. So that had nothing to do with whites calling them civilized. And most tribes were also willing to trade with white people, at least in the beginning. So it couldn't really have been that either. It was the tribes which most readily adopted Western ideas, such as Christianity, that were dubbed civilized.

• Are you sure? I thought most Native American tribes were hunter-gatherers except the Five Civilized Tribes and maybe the Iroquois Nations.

Most Helpful Girl

• On the whole, yes, I do love history, but my most of my interest lies within the Pre-, Ancient, and Postclassical periods of history. I'm not really interested in the events and politics of the Modern Age (i. e., anything from the 1500's onward). Most of my interest within that period is towards art and literary history.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Do you like the Roman Republic? Or Heian Japan?

• I haven't read much on Japanese history, but I do like early Roman history. Are those your favourite civilizations/time periods?

• Two of them, yes. I'm fascinated by the late Republic and the period leading up to the coronation of Augustus as emperor in 27 BCE.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• Oh yeah, almost went on to study history in uni, but I didn't see a lot of career options with it so went with engineering instead.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do like reading about Native American culture. Probably why I chose the name "Arrowhead". Although I'm no expert in it. So the above mentioned tribes were the first to establish a higher level of civilization? Just wondering how they came to be called "the Five Civilized Tribes".

0|0
    0|0
    • They were called that because they had agriculture before other tribes did, and because they engaged in regular trade with European settlers in the South.

• Sounds about right. After all, agriculture is the root of civilization.

• There are some parts of history I find really intriguing and I always love reading more about it.
    But also history outside those preferred parts are interesting when I'm in a reading mood

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's always interesting to read about how people tried to solve a problem, you learn a lot from it

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I usually like documentaries or films about history.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wake up early and love watching the History Channel in the early mornings. Currently loving Cities of the Underworld and also Deconstructed History...

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe they were located around the Great Lakes. Sedentary was the operative term but the Pawnee were also less nomadic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Indians are cool im often sad for them. I try to do as they would have when it comes to respecting mother earth

0|0
    0|0
  • I love history... And have been reading some... But more than reading I love to listen someone telling about history

0|0
    0|0
  • Me me me me me
    Nothing as interesting as history.. And also anything conspiracies in history

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. And I'm familiar with the current book you're reading, though I've not read it yet myself.

0|0
    0|0
    • There's s fascinating new book out called Killers of the Flower Moon, about a serial killer stalking members of the Osage tribe in the 1920s.

• Wow that sounds awful and terrifying. Poor people.

• Only American history! If it talks about the world wars, I like studying everything!

0|0
    0|0
  • I can tell you what a, bevel, plackart, and a gorget are.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do... I like to research about it if i find it interesting

0|0
    0|0
  • lol you will run across the trail of tears or another mass genocide event in the native americans

0|0
    0|0
    • Wounded Knee, although that's further west.

• Show All
    • Cultural assimilation. We killed those who resisted.

• again, we shouldn't have killed them off. that was stupid and now we pay for it. in all the diversification of the genome is great, as we diversify our genome we create a stronger set of genes. every 2 recessive genes become a dominant gene in the genome, 2 recessive of the same gene

• Sometimes
    Why?

1|0
    0|0
  • Instead of reading it I love watching it

1|0
    0|0
  • I love History

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, always a fav topic for me

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really tbh😂

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 2

• Prefer to watch the movie
    Its not like I don't like reading but its more intriguing when its on documentary movies
    I would watch about anything, literally

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on what the historical topic is

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes