Pro guitar players, question about scales here?

so I've been learning guitar for a few years now. I'm pretty good with it, I've learned a lot of chords and can create my own tunes and do some covers as well. but literally last night I started learning about scales, because I wanna become a lead guitar chick and put a thrash metal band together. my question is, how are scales incorporated into songs? And don't think that I'm just meaning metal songs but how are they incorporated into any song?

08

Most Helpful Guy

• A scale is a particular set of notes that work well with each other, just like a chord. A chord is a way of playing a note, but adding a few other notes that ‘play well’ with it to make the sound fuller. Each song has a regular note it expands from. This is the key. When you know the key, usually a chord that becomes common in a song, you can then just play notes from scales associated with that note.

For example: I could play a song in the key of D. Say I play a chord pattern of DAGD. Key is D. So to solo you can simply play a D scale over what I’m playing. The D scale contains all the notes that will work well with anything I’m playing in D.
    There are other scales that can work as you learn them but for now keep it simple. More complex songs shift key at certain parts. In your soloing you can change scales to match the key.
    A simple way to try is to record a chord pattern for a song or find someone on YouTube playing a simple one. Play it back over and over and just play notes from the scale associated with the key over it. You can be soloing this afternoon if you learn one scale and try this.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • great explanation on this, thank you!

• @DonRomeo true. The most common tends to be major, then you can branch off to variations as you like but all tend to be slight variations of the major scale like all houses follow a basic foundation of floors, walls and roof but you can vary room shapes, sizes, types etc. But all have the foundation of a common structure. Once you can build the basic house, it becomes easy to alter the rooms and shapes to your liking.