Another noir book moral question, serial killer who kills cops who blatantly got away with murdering a developmentally disabled man do you prosecute?

So I'm listening to a noir novel in set in Liverpool, a serial killer kills two cops ( so far and he probably is going to cross non ambiguous lines)
But these two cops got murdered by a serial killer however they were involved in murdering a developmentally disabled man at a pub and while cleared by inquest its also clear that the victim wouldn't have even been able to comprehend the actions the cops said he was doing.
The people who investigate the serial killings tell the families of the developmentally disabled man in a lot more words that the murdered cops were killed in an exceptional gruesome way that even they didn't deserve.
So if this really was it and done would you prosecute the man who killed the cops.
  • I would proscute
  • I would not prosecute

11

Most Helpful Girl

• Laws exist not only to protect the public, but to protect the public from themselves. Vigilante justice is not the solution. We have to believe that the system works more than it fails.

• I'm following you but how does this protect people from themselves and its the law enforcement and the law that murdered an innocent bystander

• Everyone gets due process.

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to prosecute, because the law cannot be taken into just anyones' hands or anarchy will ensue. There is a reason why we have law and criminal trials. The system isn't perfect but it is far better than vigilante justice or kangaroo courts. Even with all the effort that is put into criminal justice there are still miscarriages of justice. This would be tenfold if we allowed vigilante justice.