Does anyone else find the Gilded Age fascinating?

The Gilded Age lasted from 1870-1900 and was characterized by extreme opulence among the lifestyles of the upper class. Edith Wharton's classic novel The Age of Innocence is probably the epitome of Gilded Age high society. I find this period visually and intellectually fascinating.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• To tell you the truth, I believe this is where the US went downhill in terms of how the Banks really OWN the US and the inequality differences. But you get the good with the bad...

0|0
    0|0
    • What do you think about the war between Andrew Jackson and Nicholas Biddle in the 1830s? Do you see it as a high water mark for populism in the U. S?

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds quite interesting

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• I love the Gilded Age. As with any age there were problem, but there has never such a time before or since the 1870-1912 time frame that people had more opportunities to build themselves up.

But what do I believe was the catalyst to bring that age to a close? Well I would say the introduction of the 16th amendment in 1913.

I highly recommend looking up the Jekyll island club in Georgia during 1910, very interesting.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm more interested in why you wanna know? What's up?

0|0
    0|0
    • I find the Gilded Age and the antebellum South equally fascinating from a historical perspective.

• Absolutely, it's actually partially responsible for the evolution of how we make out products through out the years ahead.

0|0
    0|0
    • Agreed! The first Madison Avenue ad agencies began around this time, as did Sullivan and Cromwell, America's largest law firm. Thank you for sharing.

• Economic history and development is always cool to talk about.

• I'm sure it was nice if you were a rich white man. Much less so for everyone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds interesting

0|0
    0|0
  • No...

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah it is nice

0|0
    0|0