What horror films have actually scared you?

There's a lot of lists about the scariest horror films, but I feel that many of the people who make these lists confuse best horror films with scariest. It's not the same thing. I'm personally not scared by The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street or 2001: A Space Odyssey for example, but they're among the best.

Horror films that actually scare me are few and far between.

What are the horror films that truly made you frightened?

What horror films have actually scared you?

3|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Have you watched Rec and The Tunnel? I watched them in the dark with just my headphones while everybody in the house were asleep. Scared tf out of me

0|1
    0|0
    • Rec wasn't that bad, but The Tunnel.. that really sent shivers down my spine.

• Show All
    • @Lava_ yes you go girl :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I love the subject of this. I totally agree that horror movie being great has nothing to do with it being scary or not. Often even the lists with titles like "the best truly scary horror movies" end up listing great but non-scary movies. At least for the most part.

There has probably been many more but these came to my mind on top of my head: The Visit (2015), The Orphanage (2007), Ringu (1998), the hollywood remake wasn't as scary as the original one. Paranormal Activity 1 & 2, Oculus (2013)

0|1
    0|0
    • The Visit is definitely high on my list. What a comeback from Shyamalan.. It feels so real, because it doesn't go too far into supernatural.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 30

• The Conjuring movies didn’t really scare me, but for maybe 5 minutes I felt creeped out.
    Cloverfield actually makes me feel pretty anxious, at the least.

0|1
    0|0
  • Night of the Living Dead (Farm version). This was an old classic George A. Romero zombie movie. Hated this crap so much because at the end of the movie, screen showed old footage of dead zombie bodies being burned, "Based on a true story." I love classic zombie or horror movies. This movie had good jump scares and the zombie makeup terrified me when I was a kid. And to this day it still gives me the jeeps! They did a hell of a good job with makeup. Nowadays, everything is all fake and cg'd. Nothing compared to the awesome and realistic real deal classic movies.

The Grudge. Yup, the Japanese version. Saw that when I was in elementary school going into middle school. That scared the living hell out of me. I could not sleep. Everytime I did, I would get paranoid and hear the grudge sounds then realize it was my dad snoring. Forreal... People snore so scary sometimes. Imagine living all your life scared of showering and washing your hair cause you feel another hand might appear out of nowhere on your head. BYEEEE.

And last but not least, Jeepers Creepers 1&2 (classic). The face and makeup of Jeepers Creepers, my goshhh. Made me HATE going out in the middle of no where. When I grew up and went to live in dorms, I would hear creaking sounds from the ceiling but I lived on the top floor. Friicken hell, all I could think about was Jeepers Creepers, lol. @#$%%$@

0|1
    0|0
  • Very few have actually scared me. The one that has most disturbed/unsettled me is prbably the Serbian Film. Cannibal holocaust was pretty bad too (even with the version that cut out all the real life animal deaths)

0|1
    0|0
  • Creep I think if I remember because I watched it alone when little, I remember getting scared by Dorian grey at cinema 😂 it’s not even a horror lol. I never get scared anymore so any movie that scared me would of had to of been when I was younger.

0|1
    0|0
  • The Ring terrified me when I was younger
    More recently Sinister. After watching it I had to sleep with the lights on for four days (not joking either).

0|2
    0|0
    • Sinister is one of the tensest horror movies I've seen. Had potential to be one of the best and scariest, but the ending ruined it for me.

• Show All
    • Exactly! It felt like a completely different movie.

• 4 nights with the lights on? Lmbo too funny. 😂😂

• Scary movies are my favorite category but it’s damn near impossible to be scared of them now that I’m younger. I used to be scared of Chuckie, Paranormal Activity, and the Ring when I was younger until I grew up. They’re all fall under a category ( haunting, friends/family going somewhere and getting attacked by crazy people, poltergeists, serial killers, supernatural things, etc.)

0|1
    0|0
  • Annabelle, The tunnel, Grudge. I think I didn't get scared by the other ones because I watched them with other people.

0|2
    0|0
  • A movie called Grave Encounters. It wasn’t exactly a good movie but some parts did actually scare me.

0|2
    0|0
  • I haven't watched any that have scared me personally, however my auntie is 33 years old and she watched 'The Exorcist' as a child. And till this day she's still scared when she thinks about that movie.

1|1
    0|0
  • SAW... after the fifth one I woke up crying from a nightmare in SAW style 😂😂😂 so I got scared to continue watching it... unless someone watches with me.
    And this one jumpscare in the secons scream movie, omggg

0|1
    0|0
    • SAW is more like cringy and stressful than scary for me because of all the gore and unecessary blood.

• I agree. Some of those movies are really well made, but it's tough for me to actually be properly scared by it. As I always say, people in real life can be scarier.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont think I’ve ever fully watched a horror film. I tried watching IT but as soon as I saw the paper boat i got scared 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • orphan. This girl freaks me out so much. I have never watched the whole movie, to scared to keep watching. I know the end cause I googeld, but I don`t want to keep watching this lmao

0|0
    0|0
  • Sinister 1 & 2, Insidious and The Babadook absolutely ruined me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I haven't actually seen a lot of horror movies, but here was a movie that I wouldn't say was really a horror movie, but I just couldn't watch it after the story had progressed... It disgusted me and I couldn't watch more. You know those movies where it starts off as a normal survival movie but as time goes it gets more and more fucked up. I skipped to the end to see if the protagonist would make it and that's it... It's the movie "The divide" It really gave me a lot to think about and stayed in my mind for awhile.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've only ever seen Oculus and It, and none of these wasn't exactly scary.

0|1
    0|0
  • Funny Games.
    The shit in there are all my biggest fears lol

0|1
    0|0
  • The movie Esther , not actually scared but its creepy

0|1
    0|0
  • The thing that was scary.

0|1
    0|0
  • The woman in black , she still haunts my dreams.

0|1
    0|0
  • 13 sins. And anything else remotely scary...

0|1
    0|0
  • sinister 1 and 2 & the first annabelle

0|1
    0|0
  • THE INSCIDIOUS 1
    AG#ddgf$%$#@dfGG

1|1
    0|0
  • Candy man

0|1
    0|0
  • I can’t recall😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Lights out...😶

0|1
    0|0
  • Scary movies are lame and they don't scare me
    I don't know if this counts but there's a movie called Meghan missing that kinda creeped me out. Also Lolita was very disturbing and actually scared me. Any movie about sexual abuse is scary in a creepy, disturbing way.
    I have been scared of cartoon movies before lol. I'm dumb.

0|1
    0|0
  • Coraline

0|1
    0|0
  • All of them—I can’t even watch things like Harry Potter without covering my eyes because I’m scared... soooo... yeah, not actually going to see a horror movie...

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• tbh the shining was more funny than scary, i guess the exorcist gave me a few scares. I'm not huge on horror tho so i haven't seen that many of them

0|1
    0|0
  • Child's play 1 and 2 scare me man. I wouldn't want to watch it home alone at night again. Every little sound outside is creepy as hell.

0|1
    0|0
  • The babadook, that movie is proper scary the likes of which I haven't seen in about a decade of new releases

0|1
    0|0
  • Youtube short horror films are better than popular movies most of the time... I think Lights out is based on one short film actually.

0|1
    0|0
  • Final Destination series scared me the most mainly when I watched the second when I was 12 could not sleep with having the lights on for a week 😱

0|1
    0|0
  • Resident evil that movie still gives me shitty memories

0|1
    0|0
    • And there was one I watched during 2005 or so I can't find the movie but that scared me as fuk

• Wait - 2001 was supposed to be scary?

0|1
    0|0
    • Maybe, I don't know. I guess that's kind of my point. Most horror movies are intense, but not necessarily scary.

• Show All
    • That makes it a drama lol. Man, that's a freaking long movie

• No.. drama is different kind of tense. Most sites put it as sci-fi, adventure or thriller or some combination of those, but no drama.

• The brave little toaster.

1|1
    0|0
  • Recht all 3

1|1
    0|0
    • Do you mean Rec?

• Show All
    • [REC] 3 is my favorite from the name series. It's the apartment one. Loved it! The wedding is [REC] 4, right? I think that's NY second favorite. Sad that the Hollywood version, Quarsbtine wasn't as good as REC 3-the original.

• insidious, but I was drunk and high

0|1
    0|0
  • The Thing. So much tension.

1|1
    0|0
  • The Grudge (the American version)

0|1
    0|0
  • None

0|1
    0|0
  • None, because I've never seen one.

0|1
    0|0
  • When I was a kid the vampire movies and Halloween

0|1
    0|0
  • Teletubbies.
    That fckn sun is scary to wake up to.

2|2
    0|0
    • Don't forget Ooompha Loompha. That show gave me nightmares. I think they used to air it after Teletubbies or Caillou.

Recommended myTakes