Why are girl-ghosts scarier than boy-ghosts?

Ghosts, demons, zombies, whatever.

So many, many, MANY movies have featured creepy girl/women creatures.

Some examples off the top of my head (not including pictures because I live alone and I need to be able to sleep like a normal person)

1. Ghost lady from THE RING, THE RING 2, RINGS, RINGS FOREVER, RINGS ETERNAL
2. Demon lady from INSIDIOUS
3. Demon/witch lady from THE CONJURING
4. Witch ladies & witch babies from PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 1, 2, AND 57
5. Ghost lady from WOMAN IN BLACK 1 AND 2
6. Creepy doll lady/girl from ANNABELLE
7. Super creepy girl ghost from DARK WATER
8. Vengeful creepy girl teen ghost demon from SHUTTER
9. Creepy ghost woman in bathroom from THE SHINING
10. Creepy ghost lady throwing up or something from THE SIXTH SENSE

MEANWHILE, the only manboy ghost that comes to mind is this spine-chilling killa:

Why are girl-ghosts scarier than boy-ghosts?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it has something to do with the circumstances under which they became a ghost. Most male ghosts are ghosts as the result of something *they* did. Most female ghosts are the result of something someone did to them (murder, abuse). I suppose because they have had something done to them, people feel they have more of an axe to grind.

Plus, let's face it, women are generally the less violent of the genders. Whenever they become violent, it seems all the more shocking.

The ghost in the bathroom in the shining (the young version was played by Lia Beldam) to me wasn't particularly scary. In fact, Jack was much more scary to me in that scene because it bespoke of how little regard he had for his wife and child.

Lia Beldam looks pretty good, by the way. Here's a recent pic of her...

mediamikes.com/.../...1-e1364509688986-236x300.jpg

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• If male ghosts were used, they’d be equally scary. The boy from “mama” is an example by the way.

I believe they use females more because it comes down to the nurturer connotation... they’re seen as less evil, so when portrayed as evil, there’s a twist in one’s mind and basically we’re in shock when we see a “supposedly” innocent creature being transformed into something monstrous.

1|0
    1|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• Maybe it's the same effect as slenderman or anything else that people consider scary just because it's almost normal but unsettlingly "off". So since women are generally far less dangerous than men are when it comes to trying to kill you, maybe the supernatural unpredictability of it all makes it unsettlingly "off" like a living doll or statue

1|1
    0|0
  • Because you could almost "imagine" a crazy ass chick doing half the shit the ghosts do lol! ... Waiting for you in a corridor with the lights flickering and knife because you banged her best friend >_<.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it may be partially do to the fact that other times girls are seen as pure and wholesome, where guys are stereotypically violent. Also seeing a bulky guy bend and contort like the grudge often does just wouldn't make as much sense.

2|0
    0|0
  • The saddest ghost was the ghost in the devils backbone.
    What is a ghost? A tragedy condemned to repeat itself time and again? An instant of pain, perhaps. Something dead which still seems to be alive. An emotion suspended in time. Like a blurred photograph. Like an insect trapped in amber.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its that role reversal in films... stereotypically strong male and weak female... (changing also now) so the undead roles reverse to make it more interesting

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls have an extra element if long hair which guys don't have. If the hair is set properly, it makes them look twice as scary as guys. Also, girls have a much higher pitched sound which creeps the hell out of us, again, which guys don't have.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's because of many of Hollywood's ghost stories are based off of urban legends, and myths. Japanese tales are full of women being wronged and then they comeback as malevolent entities.

1|0
    0|0
  • My opinion is that female spirits may be clingier than male spirits as they take things to heart, and even though they're not human, be a bit hormonal.

0|0
    1|0
  • Because they have periods, periods make girl ghost extra evil.

0|1
    0|0
  • Totally, because girl-ghost have ghost-babies and where can you get a good ghost condom to prevent those ghost-pregnancies?

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess girls are scary.

1|0
    0|0
  • Coz long hair is freaking scary especially in ring

0|1
    0|0
  • Stereotype?

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls are naturally creepohs

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we love the girl ghosts.

0|0
    0|0
  • they like it because it switches up the perceived power dynamic. Girls are perceived by many to be weaker and nicer, so movies found that by making girls the evil spirits, it gives THEM the power. That makes people uncomfortable.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

combine that with the fact that ghost movies are usually about a ghost that was wronged when they died.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• That's so true. I've never really noticed that. I guess it's because a lot of ghost stories involve a woman who's been hurt and suffered a bad death and you know the saying "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" so that's probably why.. Bitches be crazy and still follow yo ass even in the afterlife. 🙃

1|0
    0|0
  • RIGHT! My nightmares only include female apparitions because those things are scary as fuck, I guess it's true 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'

Oh my god, that damn nun from the conjuring. Help me Jesus

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we're demons to start with, it doesn't take much to make us look even scarier.

1|1
    0|0
  • Probably because of the movie The Exorsist (1973), the girl was creepy as hell. Long hair, and girls being known for their innocence and soft voices creep people out too lol

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how they died or why they died. For instance a man kills his pregnant side chick she’d become a vengeful spirit cause she died feeling salty.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women are scary.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes