What is more important to a story, world building, or character development?

One of my friends recommended that I should read the Lord of the rings instead of watching the movies, say that the world is bigger there. Personally I watch movies, and read books for there characters

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Character development.

For either one , if the book is slow paced, or filled with detailed, it’s not well written

Most Helpful Guy

• Character development. The world could be straight forward. But the characters are the experience. Although The Lore is what makes something last longer. And is great for spinoffs and headcannons you can think up.