What's the difference between anime and animation?

This guy always shouted at me for saying anime was animation. I'm just wondering what's the difference?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's Japanese animation.. that's it, that's the "difference".

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Anime is a special sub-category of Animation. It's usually treated slightly different because Animes have been around before the term or genre Animation were really established. I don't think it's wrong to call Anime Animation, but do keep in mind it hold a special standing.
    It is, however, wrong to call Anime cartoons.

0|0
    0|0
    • To my understanding, an animation is any artificial, visual and moving 'presentation', that is not a movie. Some insider-cultures may have different associations, though.

• Show All
    • Japan always confuses me a little

• Animation or cartoons (same thing) have been their own genre for forever. certainly much longer than the 10-15 years you are suggesting. If you are so convinced that they were not you need to provide evidence to back up your claim. I certainly thought back in the early 90s that cartoons we're, cartoons and clearly different from live action and their own thing. And that goes back 20 some odd years. With Disney pumping out successful cartoon movies since the 1930s I'm pretty sure everyone understood a cartoon was a cartoon so that would vicariously make it fall into the cartoon genre.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• There is no difference other than where it’s made. Anime is Japanese cartoons, though I’m sure the person who shouted at you thinks of animation like Disney Pixar movies such as Cars or Madagascar.

0|0
    0|0
  • Animation is Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks (2D or 3D).

Anime is japanimation and the most famous studio is called Studio Ghibli (for the movies)

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is a comic style, and can be animated. An animation could be i. e. a computer designed 'clip' of anything that is shown in motion. I think, someone mixed up two terms. Why shouting, I wonder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is animation but anime is native to Japan and refers to their style of drawing.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Anime is sort of a style of animation. But saying anime is more specific.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is a Japanese animation and animation is just an animation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is just animation made in Japan.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is japanese animation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime is literally the Japanese word for animation.

Its animation made in Japan. Thats the only difference.
    its great

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes