What's the difference between anime and animation?

This guy always shouted at me for saying anime was animation. I'm just wondering what's the difference?

65

Most Helpful Guy

• It's Japanese animation.. that's it, that's the "difference".

Most Helpful Girl

• Anime is a special sub-category of Animation. It's usually treated slightly different because Animes have been around before the term or genre Animation were really established. I don't think it's wrong to call Anime Animation, but do keep in mind it hold a special standing.
    It is, however, wrong to call Anime cartoons.

• To my understanding, an animation is any artificial, visual and moving 'presentation', that is not a movie. Some insider-cultures may have different associations, though.

• Japan always confuses me a little

• Animation or cartoons (same thing) have been their own genre for forever. certainly much longer than the 10-15 years you are suggesting. If you are so convinced that they were not you need to provide evidence to back up your claim. I certainly thought back in the early 90s that cartoons we're, cartoons and clearly different from live action and their own thing. And that goes back 20 some odd years. With Disney pumping out successful cartoon movies since the 1930s I'm pretty sure everyone understood a cartoon was a cartoon so that would vicariously make it fall into the cartoon genre.