Why do guys like such shitty music?

guys always like that rap crap, I don't get it. Do you fellas like rap? Or do you prefer other music?

36

Most Helpful Guy

• I listen to metal. Apart from some nu-metal bands or genre blenders (i. e. Rage Against The Machine), metal and rap are often on the opposite sides of the spectrum. The only rap songs I’ve ever liked have really been from Rage Against The Machine. Frankly, in nu metal, whenever a singer goes into a rap section, it’s my least favorite part of the song.

So yeah— personally, I don’t like rap music. I find it to be really crappy sounding to me.

Still, I don’t think I can really generalize rap as objectively “shitty” music for the same reason I don’t like it when people generalize metal as “just a bunch of crappy screamy noise.” The songs of my music that I like may emphasize different parts of musicality to different extents. (I. e. the drum beats in metal are going to be usually mode technical than those in rap). I like syncopated rhythms, so I naturally gravitate towards prog metal more. I also like the sound of a distorted guitar.

Others may not care for complicated drums or distortion, so they aren’t attracted by it. We are sums of our experiences (with possibly some genetics thrown in) and our experiences differ. I believe me learning guitar/drums/bass really changed the way I look at music.

However, does it make sense to discredit someone’s opinion, since their experiences are different than ours? I’d argue in this case, no. Saying my experiences are better than whoevers without logic would just be self satisfaction and ego speaking.

The reason some guys like music way different than yours is due to their different life experiences (with a possible genetic influencer).