Which kinds of horror movies do you find most scary? WHY?

Supernatural ones are things that don't exist like ghosts, demons, magic, exorcism etc. Realistic ones are things that could have happen in real life and where the villain/murderer is a human being instead of a supernatural being. Explain Why please. #Horror #ScaryMovies #Movies
Which kinds of horror movies do you find most scary? WHY?
  • The supernatural ones (Why)
    Vote A
  • The realistic ones (Why)
    Vote B
  • Depends (Explain what & why)
    Vote C
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Because realistic ones are things that can happen to anyone, any time, and there are ways that the situation can be dealt with. The supernatural movies, should it be experienced for real, it's stupefying. You know what to do, because of the movies and culture and collected histories and fables and such, but are the tools really there at your expense? Such horrors that few people believe in in the real world, the population of people that can really help you is much smaller and not always readily available to you. It's creepy, the substance of nightmares, the twisted creatures. Absolutely dreadful.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, it's not so much the topic (realistic or not), but rather how it is narrated and filmed. For example I don't like gory horror films, I find them rather stupid and boring. Instead, I love horror movies that are very suspenseful. I like the kind of horror movies that fuck with your mind and make you pee in your pants although you have barely seen one drop of blood. Those are also the type of horror movies I will later remember (and sometimes get nightmares from).
    Another important factor is of course how well they are acted. Perhaps more than for any other genre, it is essential for horror movies that they are well-acted. If they are not, they just come across as goofy. If they are, they can easily give you a sleepless night.
    And finally, I think the cinematographic techniques can also have an impact on how much I like the film. For example I remember the "Blair Witch Project" was the very first film that tried this idea of "found footage". Back then, it was a very new concept - and it was incredibly scary.

1|0
    0|0
    • What is making a horror movie very scary if there's almost no blood in them? Just asking. I've not watched a horror movie, so I can't tell.

• Show All
    • Or think about the following scene (which I have invented): you walk across a children's playground. You are completely alone, there are no other people and no children. The sky is grey. It's a little windy and cold but very, very quiet. The only sound you hear comes from the swings, which are gently swung around in the wind. Doesn't this sound scary? Now imagine that you exist the playground and you walk through the neighborhood. Here too, everything feels very quiet and calm... almost "too" calm. There is no traffic, no people on the streets. You look at one of the houses. For a short moment, you see somebody in the window - but then the person is gone, hidden behind the curtain.
      I'm sure you'd feel uncomfortable in this situation. I certainly would. But what is it that scars us? There's nothing actually happening here. Why do we feel threatened? Maybe because we instinctively feel that something isn't right about this... there is some kind of danger... we just can't see it.

• Thanks for reply. : )

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• If by realistic you mean serial killers etc, things that could and have happened, those ones. Thrillers usually scare me more than scary movies.

0|1
    0|0
  • None of them are scary

0|0
    0|0
  • Realistic. Because it makes you believe it can happen to you as well, and it could be happening somewhere in the world. I just watched It last night lol. Its somewhat realistic but it’s totally not at the same time. I love horror movies but don’t really find them that scary.

1|0
    0|0
  • When i was a christian, anything paranormal did not scare me in the slightest. I would have to walk my brother and my boyfriend back to my brothers room at night because they were scared.
    Now its a different story 😂 i have to cover my eyes and ears during the movie when i get scared.

Horrors based on true stories dont really scare me though.

0|0
    0|1
  • The realistic ones. Supernatural ones don't really effect me that much because I don't believe in ghosts. It's creepy but logically, I know that it can't happen. It goes out of my head pretty quickly. The realistic ones scare me because they play on my mind because as much as I tell myself it's just a film, I know that it COULD be real and it could happen to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how well the movie was made. I saw some really good realistic or paranormal horrors, but some bad ones too. A horror movie usually gets me if it has a fucked up plot, something that I would never think about, no matter if it's realistic or not

0|0
    0|0
  • All of the above. I can’t even watch Harry Potter without covering my eyes, let alone a horror movie!

0|0
    0|0
  • Supernatural movies are the scariest of the two. I guess realistic movies are less scary because they make sense. You can control it 😅

0|0
    0|0
  • My own shadow... only if I was with somebody it'll be different bc then I can get distracted! And make jokes about it to lighten up the anxiety!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Paranormal. Mainly as they distort the features and I can't cope with the ones where they distort their mouths. Terrified me. Not sure why

0|0
    0|0
  • Total mindf***ing ones. Like Mulholand Drive.
    Uggggggghhhh...

0|0
    0|0
  • Super natural way more, the realistic ones don’t scare me, I love horror movies in general though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Supernatural cause i imagine them in the dark and get scared

0|0
    0|0
  • The realistic ones are more scary because they can happen to you, that's what makes them effective..

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually thought ''the realistic ones'' is the name of the movie 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • I can Feel the Real. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • " This movie is based on a real life "

0|0
    0|0
  • The realistic/based on a true story ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t watch them so i don’t know

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• Ghosts are a weak point for me, but the movie still has to be well made and have good tension. Other than that it's all about building tension and showing as little as possible and realism is always good. It's just not scary if it can't exist in real life like zombies or monsters in general. Ghosts for some reason I can accept even though I don't believe in them.

Top 10 scariest movies for me would be
    Session 9
    The Visit
    The Poughkeepsie Tapes
    Grave Encounters
    The Tunnel
    Begotten
    The Birds
    Sinister (before the ending)
    The Blair Witch Project
    Paranormal Activity

0|0
    0|0
  • For me the most horrifying movies keep you tense the entire time. Things that make you feel so unnaturally uncomfortable that you can't sit still while you watch. Jump scares and gore are lame when used to try to get a rise out of people, but if a movie can use the right atmosphere to keep an audience tense the entire time, it'll stay with you after you finish watching. Supernatural or realistic, the tension is what makes it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Def super natural. Thats the most sadistic, insidious, dangerous and scary
    Cause you have no control over it

Like a real person you can fight back
    You can't really fight back a ghost lol super scary

--> also its like border line possibly real so even more terrifiying

0|0
    0|0
    • It's possible to fight back against the supernatural, but it takes a lot of study, dedication, and training, or a lot of natural talent.

• Supernatural ones, because I've met with supernatural events in real life. I've also faced with evil in real life, realistic evil and I can defeat that. But supernatural evil is something you can't really prepared for.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, a person can be prepared for them, but it takes a lot of study, dedication, and training, or a lot of natural talent. Or know someone who is.

• I’ve never seen one. I’m curious what a supernatural one would be like,(not interested in realistic), but my parents I live with are totally against the idea. A good part at least of why is my epilepsy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't beat a ghost up. Push comes to dieing i feel i could have a shot, not a great one but a shot. Ghosts i can't get away from. I always put myself in the scenarios and think that way. No matter how crazy it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Super natrual/ paranormal, cause you can't see whats out to get you 😂 you just know its bad and pure evil

0|0
    0|0
  • Haven't been scared in a long time. I think if I had to live through a horror movie, the worst for me would probably be the Texas chainsaw massacre or insidious. Maybe Harry potter.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love supernatural movies. But, specifically, movies about exorcisms scare the crap out of me. Not sure why but they've always scared me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Movies like Insidious, The Conjouring, The Grudge, VHS 2 or Sinister with many jumpscares

1|0
    0|0
    • I got trolled so badly with Insidious. Because I was at a slumber party like 2 years ago and when I heard it was PG-13 I was like “oh so it’s not gonna be scary”. I WAS WRONG. I couldn’t sleep, I was terrified. I’m more of a “ Scream”person.

• Show All
    • I love the Scream movies because they’re not scary. That’s why I love them

• @foreveralone22 whats funny about that is that I've seen Scary Movie 1 (parody of scream) before Scream haha, so I thought Scream was lame cause its not so funny as Scary Movie

• Mostly paranormal/supernatural. The realistic ones are kinda boring.

0|0
    0|0
  • Realistic. Psychological horrors are the only ones that get to me, jumpscares are only scary for about 5 seconds

0|0
    0|0
  • realistic, with supernatural you can always tell yourself it isn't real, but in realistic they could be

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably the realistic ones where it's set in someones house. Asian horror is pretty creepy tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • Supernatural stuff. Nothing is as scary as the unknown.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was younger I hated horror in any kind or form But I was always intrigued by it. So one day I heard a friend talk about the scariest movie that he had ever seen. (Keep in my he was just talking about it). This movie was the Grudge. He hyped it up and made it scarier than it actually was. That shit traumatized me. He only talked about it and made the noises that she made in the movie. Then he did the same thing with Saw and killer dolls movies. So I was so afraid of these things until I saw the movies. Most of them sucked and wasn't scary at all. I think that I have watched so many horror movies and read so many horror stories that I almost am immune to them. So it depends. I have no fear of the Grudge and killer dolls or saw anymore so it depends on how well made the movie is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Realistic ones cuz " its based on true story" well ok.. x0

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s harder to defeat the paranormal

0|0
    0|0
  • Supernatural ones especially paranormal activity

0|0
    0|0
  • realistic ones