Career Goals/Plans?

I Want To Get Started As A Director After Film School: What Do You Suggest?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Get on to as many sets as you can. Student films, local film shoots. Everything. I'm an editing student myself and it's all about the connections you make, the most unexpected people can get you a job. The president of my DND club is working on a film now and basically said "hey you're an editor you wanna edit for my film?" Which of course I do so now that's what I'm on.

Also get to know how to work every job on set at least a little, know how to set up lights, produce, run sound, and everything else so if there's an emergency for some lighting person and they have to leave for a day, you know enough to cover your shoot.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I've always had a passion for film making. It's not a career for me as I have another passion which I chose as a career. But film making is always something I enjoy in my spare time.

For you, I'd be getting as much experience as possible. Volunteer as a director's assistant on any local independent productions. Networking is HUGE. Get a decent camera (I'm a big GH5 fan personally). Offer your services for weddings, events etc and eventually aim to get some money from that. Start making some small low/no budget films yourself, use semi professional actors and actresses (there's plenty who are willing to do it for free when they start out). Get a show reel together. Eventually when you make an independent film that you think is real quality, send it round the festival circuit and see how it does - You may just be the next Tarantino.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 3

• I want to be a YouTuber. I will branch out from there.

0|1
    0|0
  • Network, network, and network. Don't be afraid to do shit jobs, like being a gopher or a PA. Hell, JJ Abrams started as a PA. Grow a thick skin when you get rejected.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you

• Oh, and another thing, be upright - make sure giving your word means something, don't burn bridges, and don't talk shit about others behind their back. Of course that's general life advice, but it bears saying.

• Learn to suck old man dick

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes