Do you support Zoo's and aquariums?

What do you think of zoos and aquariums? Do you support them, or are you against them? I personally don't care for them and choose not to go to them. I know people say that some animals are saved from death and injury that they would have had in the wild when they're brought into captivity, but I think at that point, we should just let nature take its course. Below are a couple links, one that lists the pros and cons of zoos. The pros listed just might as well be cons in my opinion. What are your thoughts?

://www. onegreenplanet. org/animalsandnature/why-whales-and-dolphins-do-not-belong-in-tanks/

https://vittana.org/21-pros-and-cons-of-zoos

222

Most Helpful Guy

• I only support zoos & aquariums that support conservation and public education. Due to human encroachment, many species aren't propagating in the wild. They're literally endangered ONLY because of our hubris. There's nothing natural about that and I believe we have a responsibility to the planet and the other species with which we share it. There was a time when wolves were endangered in North America. thanks entirely to support of zoos, preserves, and conservation education, wolves have returned to their rightful place in the ecosystem. I hope we can make similarly positive and meaningful impacts on other endangered species like black rhinos, manatees, pandas, etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't support roadside zoos or circuses. Real zoos do conservation work and have more than enough space and stimulation to give the animals a happy healthy life. The habitats are very close to what they would live in in the wild. They also keep animals that are too injured or used to humans to live in the wild.

I think most people tend to oppose zoos because they anthropomorphize animals too much. They see it as that animal being "cruelly" "ripped" from their natural environment and forced into a space they think is too small but they don't understand the only reason they have such huge territories in the wild is to get the most food possible and to have a place for water and a place to raise young. If all those things are in a smaller more contained space that simulates their natural environment they'll be more than happy. Never having to worry about where their food comes from is a privilege, of course if you can still give them chances to simulate hunting all the better.

Life of Pi had a chapter about it. It was saying that most people picture some real majestic animal like a lion. They imagine it going on hunts and animals falling into their laps for them to bring back to their family (which they always imagine as a nuclear one for some reason). Going on jogs to keep off excess weight. But a wild animal's life is hard and hungry. Very rarely do hunts yeild any food, the only watering hole may be miles away from the best dens for young and hunting grounds are even farther from both of those. Nobody imagines and worries about an anteater or naked mole rat foraging around for food. But they're protected by zoos as well.