Do you support Zoo's and aquariums?

What do you think of zoos and aquariums? Do you support them, or are you against them? I personally don't care for them and choose not to go to them. I know people say that some animals are saved from death and injury that they would have had in the wild when they're brought into captivity, but I think at that point, we should just let nature take its course. Below are a couple links, one that lists the pros and cons of zoos. The pros listed just might as well be cons in my opinion. What are your thoughts?

://www. onegreenplanet. org/animalsandnature/why-whales-and-dolphins-do-not-belong-in-tanks/

https://vittana.org/21-pros-and-cons-of-zoos

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I only support zoos & aquariums that support conservation and public education. Due to human encroachment, many species aren't propagating in the wild. They're literally endangered ONLY because of our hubris. There's nothing natural about that and I believe we have a responsibility to the planet and the other species with which we share it. There was a time when wolves were endangered in North America. thanks entirely to support of zoos, preserves, and conservation education, wolves have returned to their rightful place in the ecosystem. I hope we can make similarly positive and meaningful impacts on other endangered species like black rhinos, manatees, pandas, etc.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't support roadside zoos or circuses. Real zoos do conservation work and have more than enough space and stimulation to give the animals a happy healthy life. The habitats are very close to what they would live in in the wild. They also keep animals that are too injured or used to humans to live in the wild.

I think most people tend to oppose zoos because they anthropomorphize animals too much. They see it as that animal being "cruelly" "ripped" from their natural environment and forced into a space they think is too small but they don't understand the only reason they have such huge territories in the wild is to get the most food possible and to have a place for water and a place to raise young. If all those things are in a smaller more contained space that simulates their natural environment they'll be more than happy. Never having to worry about where their food comes from is a privilege, of course if you can still give them chances to simulate hunting all the better.

Life of Pi had a chapter about it. It was saying that most people picture some real majestic animal like a lion. They imagine it going on hunts and animals falling into their laps for them to bring back to their family (which they always imagine as a nuclear one for some reason). Going on jogs to keep off excess weight. But a wild animal's life is hard and hungry. Very rarely do hunts yeild any food, the only watering hole may be miles away from the best dens for young and hunting grounds are even farther from both of those. Nobody imagines and worries about an anteater or naked mole rat foraging around for food. But they're protected by zoos as well.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• If Zoo's are supposedly protecting animals then why is Harambe dead?
    How the heck does a child accidentally find his way into a gorilla enclosure? If a kid can get it then imagine what a malicious adult could do.

A zoo's sole purpose is to entertain people, which is wrong.
    Animal sanctuaries on the other hand are cool.

0|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy and support both. They are a great activity for the kids, they are great learning opportunities, they give people the chance to see what they couldnt otherwise see in their normal lives. They provide a home for and preserve different spieces.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like aquariums. Fuck zoos though. Zoos are boring, the animals are resting in their hidey holes like a good quarter of the time & they rarely have something exotic enough to go see. I remember they had a komodo dragon when I was a young boy at the local zoo & that was the most enthralled I ever was with one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Now days captivity is a safer option for animals, but if done incorrectly or neglectfully it could severely harm them. I support zoos and aquariums, as long as they maintain the animals' needs to the fullest extent possible

0|0
    0|0
  • Zoos are often leaders in conservation efforts around the world. I support those zoos. They are given a loving home. I don't think they are slaves any more than dogs and cats are slaves

0|0
    0|0
  • Zoos don't merely have an educational function, they're also involved in conservation programs.

People develop a greater respect for biodiversity and our fellow animals when they see them. If they're out of sight, they're also out of mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do not spend my time with trival things. I engrosse myself in things that make a difference.

Making a difference can be great with kids at a zoo.

Making a difference in can be great when the adults get engaged with politics and learn how to interact politics with morals.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like them, as long as the animals are properly cared for, and not just locked in tiny cages. A good example is the "Tierpark Schönbrunn" in Vienna, one of the few Zoos worldwide to get Pandas to have babies

0|0
    0|0
  • These animals are in captivity, yes. But they are fed and have safe environments to live in. Most animals are no where near smart enough to even know they are in captivity. They are fine. As long as they are treated well I don't see the problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • There aren’t perfect but they are necessary.
    Living conditions may not be perfect for the animals but many species owe their survival solely to captive breeding programs

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't like zoos and aquariums at all. I feel sad for the animals being kept in confinement. They don't belong in zoos and circuses. I wish I could kill people who poach animals as brutally as they kill those poor animals!! Ugghh!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I love them. Yes, some mistreat the animals. But in some cases, at least in the New England Aquarium, many of the animals are rescues.

0|0
    0|0
  • Please, just ignore them then. They don't need you. But don't try to convince everybody else there's something wrong with them.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a kid I used to love it. Now that I understand what they really are... containing animals in extremely small spaces to live in, feeding them crap and in some cases abusing them then showing them off in their cage for money. It's apalling and disgusting. If I was a kid I'd probably cry if I knew that. Apparently whales live something like 20 years less if held in an aquarium vs. in the ocean. We are the cause for many extinct and endangered species. We're becoming more aware about it now though and more and more people are trying to help the cause.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. They help species come back from the brink of extinction in some instances

0|0
    0|0
  • I support them
    to make them a good life better than in jangle fighting together

0|0
    0|0
  • Seeing animals held for the pleasure of tourists makes me sad. They could be living free in nature.

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't been to one in a while

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the animals look happy in their cages.

0|0
    0|0
  • Humans are treated worse and nothing is said. Also, the biggest animal rights point is that animals are defenceless and we need to protect them... well why is abortion legal? Babies are defenceless and we need to protect them

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 1

• I like going to see the animals, especially in petting zoos. That's really all I have to say about it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes