Playing bass... how difficult is it if you already know how to play guitar?

So yeah I've been playing guitar for years, and I'm thinking of learning more things sometime soon too, such as drums and bass (I actually know a tiny bit on drums). however I've never picked up a bass in my entire life. though I guess one of my big inspirations for wanting to learn bass was Cliff Burton, especially after hearing his insane bass shredding.

But really, to me bass playing seems a little similar to guitar. Is it? and would it be easier to learn bass since I already know guitar?
Playing bass... how difficult is it if you already know how to play guitar?Playing bass... how difficult is it if you already know how to play guitar?

110

Most Helpful Guy

• I started with bass (well after percussion shtuff) and moved up to guitar.

From my experience, I would say bass would be relatively easy to pickup after being proficient on guitar. It’s basically the same as a jumbo guitar (except with 4 thicker strings), so it’s not that crazy of a difference. It requires a longer reach, more fret strength, and muting the strings. I’m having flashbacks from the bad bassists I’ve played with who were crappy at muting strings, and then the sound turned into muddy out of key blehness 😱

There is a reason many guitarists are forced by their band to become bassists versus bassists becoming guitarists.

The main thing is to get used to fingering the bass vs relying on a pick. It’s very easy to get frustrated and fall back to a pick for comfort. Not only will you lose serious bass player credit for your rep, but it also limits your playing style. Also, it means you can’t do the Iron Maiden triplet hits, so I mean, there’s that.

Slap bass is a bit of a different beast. It’s harder, but not horrible. It’s basically just like opening a door knob repeatedly while hitting frets. If you’re interested in metal, it could have uses, but that’s more so a small thing. I’ve seen players use it live to get their hits a bit more ‘oomph’ on the E string. It’s not required too often in metal though.

If you’re playing with others on bass for a band setting, chances are you’ll be expected to know your scales a bit better than on guitar I’d say. Well, if you’re not, you’re either really good at the rest, or I’d question your band haha. Least, one of the things I look for when scouting bassists is if they know what notes work where in the current key. It will separate you from the rest if you can stray from just being a root note only bassist— while not being too busy of course.

Bass requires more patience than guitar and more, in my opinion, of just feeling it. It’s matching with the drums and knowing when to be flashy vs when to lay back and set the foundation. When a bassist and drummer match their fills just right, it really elevates the sound