What is your opinion on Women getting paid the same as Men with Tennis?

At Wimbledon
Men do five sets
Women do three sets..
Why should they get paid the same for doing less? (this isn't a recent thing, just curious to see what people think of this)
The Women were unhappy with this so demanded equal pay but do less sets it bothers me because i don't understand why anyone should get paid the same for doing less, what do you think.. are you for or against this?
What is your opinion on Women getting paid the same as Men with Tennis?

0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely against it. They do less so they shouldn't get paid the same that in and of itself is good enough reason not to do it. You also need to take into account draw, how big the audience is determines how much money they make so if women are drawing more people (highly unlikely as in almost every sport men have a significantly greater draw) then maybe you could have an argument (again, I doubt that's the case) but otherwise no this is discrimination because the men do more (and probably draw a bigger audience) and thus should have greater pay then the woman.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• 3 sets is not what women demand in this set. It is based off of a bias that women are physically not as strong as men to play certain sports. it is not forced by females to play less earn more style.

It should be based on how much Money audiEnce etc each side is bringing. However i have seen a lot of articles saying that williams sisters and some other tennis players like old legends graff navratilove henin clijsters davenport also make the sport almost as enjoyable and popular. And the number of audience gets as close. One article i found on the issue is this:

www.google.com.tr/.../equal-pay-tennis-djokovic-williams

1|1
    0|1
    • FYI, i am a huge fan of tennis, and i’ve seen live wimbledon and us open games

• Show All
    • I know I'm right because the men pull more viewers than the women overall. If you look that the ratings for the last 20 Grand Slams... I'm sure the men had the most viewers in at least 16 of them. As I said., I watch tennis religiously and play it too... I also have no problem with the women getting the same pay.

Nice chat... have a good night 😊

• But on average men ARE physically stronger than women, wouldn’t you agree.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 48

• They need to make the sets the same and then it's okay. I don't really get why they're different anyway.. there's really no difference in men's and women's endurance..

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol. There is.

• Show All
    • Citation needed.

• Their is a difference in their endurance, as well as their speed and strength. That's why male sports get more people in the stands because they are stronger and faster and tend to be more aggressive it makes it more entertaining to watch (based upon the attendance rates of male vs. female sports). When the, I believe it was englands, womens Olympic soccer team played against a male highschool team, the women lost by a decent amount (and the male team had half the players). We are just physically on different levels and that alters how the game is played with males being favored due to greater speed, endurance, physical strength and aggressiveness (which makes for a more "action packed" game).

• It's simple men bring in more money to sporting events not tennis as much but overall they just don't sell tickets not have as much hype. The only female tennis players you hear about are the Williams twin. (Which they are practically men anyways)

1|0
    0|0
  • Gotta say women should get equal to men, good concept
    but
    whatever brings in the most money gets the lion's share
    WHOEVER
    that is, e. g.
    college = football, who shares with the others (not always)
    mud wrestling = women, who share with the guys
    shall I go on or perhaps others will contribute other examples?

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't get it... why do women keep constantly comparing themselves to men? There are somethings in which women have an advantage over men - do you see men complaining, cribbing and crying over it?
    Men tend to focus and excel in their work, women have all the time to complain about how stuff are unfair!
    Women should only get equal pay if they have aptly shown they do the same amount of work!!

1|0
    0|0
  • My go to answer would be pay an equivalent percentage wage to the equivalent tv/public audience that they are pulling... but and it's a big but... why does tennis generate the weirdest/poshest sporting audience in the world and expect them not to have values which would of been offensive in the 19th century?

1|0
    0|0
  • I’m sure it’s a lot more complicated than that. Actually, I’m certain it is.

1|0
    0|0
    • It really isn't

• Show All
    • If they go topless, they should be payed more even for 1 set.
      Jk jk

• Its not equal pay though, per minute on court a couple of years ago the womens champ got 3x more than the mens because she had time to play doubles/mixed doubles due to much shorter singles matches

• At first thought I supported, till I read question details than thought it was total BS. Totally unfair for women to get equal pay for unequal work, next thing you know minimum wage an hour will be specially changed to minimum wage a half hour for women, so what men earn in one hour they earn in half an hour.

1|0
    0|0
  • I did not know this, P. P. My ex got me into tennis. She played it. We watched it on TV. Hmmm? Women play 3 sets, Men-5? Not fair, P. P. Women should play 5 sets now. Yup.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well this is the whole thing that people use to disprove the wage gap. Even Ronda Rousey pointed it out.

But I do think both men and women should have equal number if matches. That is what the women should have been fighting for.

1|0
    0|0
  • Unless they play the same amount of rounds than men play and they draw in the same amount of people to come watch then, they should be paid less. You're not doing the same work, so you should not be paid the same

1|0
    0|0
  • If they changed it to be "equal" that is strange, because having 3 sets instead of 5 shows that they're not.. but honestly, it's still entertainment. Supply and demand. If people don't like it, they will stop watching.

1|0
    0|0
  • Who sell more tickets and ads? The one selling more get paid more.

It's a for profit job. The one drawing in the more paying customers should get paid more.

1|1
    0|0
  • Winning 3 out of 5 (60 percent) is actually less difficult than winning 2 out of 3 (67 percent).

With that said, to be honest, whenever people are talking about or debating over sports other than baseball or football, I usually don't care...

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if they do the same number of sets as the men. You should be paid according to the work you do. Otherwise, women would technically be paid more then men, based on the pay to productivity ratio.

Simples...

1|0
    0|0
  • Tough one. They should be getting the same proportional pay for the revenue they generate. The net could be smaller than mens league, but the cut should be the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • Women should get paid twice as much as men because women are superior athletes

1|0
    0|1
  • I've thought about this before.
    I think instead of not paying the women the same, make them play best of 5 sets.

It's not as if they are not capable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Whoever generates the most revenue from ticket sales, tv views, and endorsements should get paid more.

1|0
    0|0
  • If women want the equal pay they should do 5 sets too. That would be the true meaning of equality, to make women put an equal amount of effort for the money.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not about the playtime. it's how much spectaters they bring. thats how athlètes are payed. now if they get more people , sure. but if this is a SJW stunt am against it

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 7

• I’m all for women getting equal pay, but equal pay should be for equal work. I’m not completely opposed to this, but I think having fewer sets for women gives an impression that women are not as capable of extended athletic exertion as men are. That’s not right. Make it five sets for everyone and let Serena Williams play five sets, make the same pay as the men, and strut her stuff.

1|1
    0|0
    • Apparently that hasn't happened because TV companies don't want it, not as much demand for women's games

• To me it’s a matter of profitability. Do the men draw more money or do the women?

If the men draw more then ofc they should get paid more.

I don't know what it’s be in tennis tbh I hear far more about women’s tennis than men’s.

1|0
    0|0
  • Wtf, if you want to get paid as much as men, do the same amount of work as men 🙄

1|2
    0|0
  • Women want more money that they do to deserve them
    Nothing new under the sun

1|2
    0|0
  • I would find that annoyingly unfair if women were paid more for doing less work.

1|0
    0|0
  • Women's tennis draws a lot of viewers.

1|0
    0|0
  • Athletes are not really paid by the hour...
    As far as I know, men and women are paid the same in Grand Slams and top tournaments, and tickets are also priced the same regardless of the number of sets played. It's not about the length of the game at all.

The funny part is, in many of the other tournaments where women receive significantly less, both play the best of 3 sets.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes