Do you believe everything you see in a historical movie?

Most historical movies distort history. So do you believe everything you see in them?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, I believe nothing in them, but they are a great segway to read about the real thing.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, of course not. A lot of movies get things wrong. That's why it's important to not rely on just one source for your information, and especially to not rely on Hollywood movies for complete historical accuracy. Reading numerous reliable sources helps give you a bigger picture of history from multiple perspectives which is much more helpful in understanding historical events.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 30

• No, because there are many historical movies that change facts. it's incredibly disappointing. I prefer reading the actual books, my favourite history book is "Siege and Symphony", a book about Shostakovich and his struggle to maintain sanity and write his 6th Symphony, all while facing the horrors of war in Leningrad during WWII.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most certainly not. If someone said a person died to a gunfight yesterday you may later read that he only got his leg hurt.. Now multiply that effect by 2000 years * 365 days and you've got a mystical man called jesus turning water into wine or a king arthur leading a huge castle with a magician called merlin at his side..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do, and no I don't believe everything in them. However, the study of history is much more than dry facts. Which is why if you are going to study it it's best to read from multiple sources and consider multiple disciplines to get the whole picture.

0|0
    0|0
  • We love costume dramas, but people go nuts if they get it wrong, recently Palomar Faith spread marmalade on toast with a spoon, she should've cut the toast into Toney squares, they didn't bite toast in historical days, then applied the jam with a knife, the spoon being for getting the jam out of the receptacle.
    I watch "The Murdoch Mysteries","Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries", and "The Frankie Drake Mysteries", what spoils it for me is there should be more racism and sexism.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what movie it is. I saw in one of your replies, you mentioned 300 as an example. Well no shit!! It's based in comic 300, I think most people are pretty aware it isn't a historical movie. It got fantasy in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nadia I love you.
    Our grandchildren will make a movie on our love story and I will tell them strictly to not distort the history.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes but also Not really as gotta remember history was written by winners and thier views maybe not actual truth but a twist version aswell as Hollywood tend to twist it more for more "magic"

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard for me to say what's right or wrong in such movies, but that makes it even more interesting whenever there are little clips of original records in them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, like you said a lot of the stuff in the movies are watered down from history and on top of that a lot is added to the actual facts which make it a little less believable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolute not, most movies take tons of liberties and make up tons of additional "plot" twists for more drama.

Argo jumps to mind.

Just as the people are going to escape Iran (during the U. S. Embassy hostage situation) these little kids put together (after working on it for a year) the shredded documents to learn the identities of missing foreigners and then when the plane was going to take off they have a vehicle with Iranian soldiers trying to run and catch the plane on the runway?

Hollywood makes up a lot of ridiculous crap in all movies.

No, I don't believe much of what I see in historically set movies.

I know a lot about "The Miracle at Dunkirk" but I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm sure Hollywood added or tweaked a lot to turn history into fairy tales.

0|0
    0|0
  • Worst than that, now some books are destroying historical stories so it's kind of hard to believe. Americans are thé first who are changing history for their benefits

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Always background check it. You know my brother thought that national treasure was based on facts.

0|0
    0|0
  • HELL NO. I read books about history and watch documentaries, not a Hollywood movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I'm there to watch a movie, not listen to a history lesson. That's what documentaries are for

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I recognize that even history books are distorted by the victor

0|1
    0|0
  • i almost believe none of it, i am persian and for example 300 movie was almost 100% lie, so i don't believe in movies, i prefer to read books

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah they r entertaining.. And some have real backgrounds.. But not everything in them is real... Some parts are just to spice things up

0|0
    0|0
  • I assume any movie based on actual events is somewhere between 5 to 10% true. Everything else came from the imagination of a screenwriter.

0|0
    0|0
  • No i don't believe in everything i see in a historical movie.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. There was a project to find the historical inaccuracies in movies. The best thing about the project, “Based On a True Story?” is that question mark at the end. How liberal did the filmmakers get with the truth? Created by data scientist David McCandless, with assistance from Stephanie Smith, BOTS not only assigns a percentage to the level of foofaraw in each of the 10 selected films, it also offers a scene-by-scene breakdown that explains what was made up and why. I am not sure if it has been expanded.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 8

• What do you mean by historical movies, like gladiator and braveheart? Or these historical documentaries?

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I meant movies like 300

• Oh, I almost never believe then, since their purpose is to show the morals of the story not a historical accuracy
      Or they are simply made just to make money (Ben hurt 2016)
      Expecially in very popular and commercial creations of hollywood

• I don't. I watch the movie then go do some research about it to know what is true and what's fiction.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t Even believe it in class.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's dramatization so it's part right

0|0
    0|0
  • A skeptic never truly believes anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • not really

0|0
    0|0
  • Ofcourse not historicial movies gets shape with viewers thoughts. For example, if movie was made in 1960 at Russia probably movie would be insulting Americans. (If you are a Russian really sorry I had to give an example and I am even not American xoxo)

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't believe

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes