Why do Catholic schools always have such good basketball programs?

My friend's son plays for a Catholic school in New Jersey, and they are like phenomenal at basketball.
Updates:
Why does everybody keep bashing Catholic priests? Most are not pedophiles.

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason for calling out catholic priest is not because of the men who don't. It's the staggering percentage of those who do, and the documented way the church kept it quiet and did not actually take action against the predetors who were priests. There is proof, that the church knew about the high percentage and had tactics to keep it from the public eye.

A few bad examples is one thing, it's when the whole organization accepts it happens hides it instead of condemning it. I don't care how good that basketball program is when at least 20% of the team has been molested or sexually assaulted by the priests. No amount of praying or hail Mary's can take away the fact the church enables child abuse. It's disgusting, and a great example of how religious organizations do more harm then they are worth. Personal spirituality is a choice, a church that can effect politics, dodge taxes and get away with hiding years of systematic abuse is a blot on society

0|1
    0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Catholic schools over all have a better curriculum offering a broader range than other schools... most catholic schools hold higher outstanding rates than most other schools

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• Maybe it’s easier for them to attract & keep good coaches. Where I went to school the coach also has to teach several classes and interact with lots of students. In Catholic school a kid disrespecting the teacher seldom happens & when it does there are MAJOR consequences. In many public schools that’s not the case.

0|0
    0|0
  • Basketball was founded by James Naismith at the YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) at what is now Springfield College which was founded in 1885 as the Young Men's Christian Association department of the School for Christian Workers in Springfield.

So, basketball has its roots in Christian organizations. That meant often Catholic universities which formed teams early helping spread the gospel of hoops.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything Catholic is super rich and money attracts the best coaches, can buy the best training equipment and training facilities hence, attracts best potential players that want to attend that school in hopes to achieve great coaching, college offers and eventually the NBA.

0|0
    0|1
  • Natives and Philippine cultures are really good at basketball as well. Trust me, I've played against so many.

0|0
    0|0
  • The priests give them a special performance enhancing white liquid.

0|1
    0|2
    • Oof... Dark

• Show All
    • @Schnitzel I know, my responses are in recognizing good taste. Instead of putting 17 "laughing until I'm crying" emojis.

• Lol fair enough.

• Because so many of the priests have been teaching the boys how to handle the balls.

0|0
    0|0
  • Heard Catholic school girls were good with balls, maybe that's why?

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a sex thing. Without wanking you need to burn off energy somehow!

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't noticed that or maybe its due to the training

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe... it goes way back throughout the northeast US - and as private schools they always could and still can draw more players from large areas (vs. only the residents of a town or district etc). Many of these schools have "host" families for kids who live far away - and they can offer HS scholarships (attractive to underprivileged/inner city folks) With better pay and better players, these schools could and still can recruit better coaches - and it just turned into a success leads to more success over decades to where today they still dominate as they still have all the attractive advantages over public schools.

0|0
    0|1
  • God is lending them his powers

0|1
    0|0
  • They have Jesus on their side that’s why

1|1
    0|1
    • How tall was Jesus? Cuz I don't think he would be a great basketball player, especially being a drunk

• Show All
    • So that's travaling? I thought he escaped the tomb then levitate to heaven later... Or did he not come back from the dead

• @PoliceLivesMatter, 👍😂 for this comment.

• Pope channels his shaman magic to give them energy

2|0
    0|0
  • They have the power of God

0|2
    0|0
  • Apparently because they have a good coach.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because the priest gives them private lessons

0|0
    0|0
  • The lord likes B-Ball

0|0
    0|0
  • Jesus helps them get "wings" (see where I went)

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I went to Catholic school and we had no basketball program.

0|0
    0|0
  • catholic girls schools love anything with big balls, so i say yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't know, never been in a Catholic school.

0|0
    0|0
  • They have the best coaches in the country

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes