What is your definition of art?

And side question: do you consider Malevich's Black Square to be art?
What is your definition of art?

Because I have my reasons to say that it, along with a lot of other postmodern "art" just isn't art.
  • Yes, it is art.
    Vote A
  • No, it is not art.
    Vote B
  • Other.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Anything in a museum now is garbage. Modern art is so caught up on trying to do the next thing nobody has done before and prescribing some fake deep message to it so when naturally you call them out for making what is objectively trash they can look down their nose at you and say "well that's just because you don't GET it." Oh I get it. And it's shit.

I don't care what bullshit you spout a shelf of used erasers and a rug you bought at Ikea then tacked on a wall is not art.

I have seen one exception. I went to an art museum in Denver (it was a free day and I was forced into it, never would have gone otherwise) there was a room that was a replica of an Italian restaurant, painted entirely blood red, being torn apart by equally blood red foxes. And that was it, a place getting fucked up by some wild animals. The two foxes fighting over bread sticks did not symbolize gang wars or some other such bullshit. It was just two wild animals fighting for food, as they would.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• One man's art is another man's garbage, just like one man's garbage is another's art.
    Art is party by the intention of the maker, you can have art — it doesn’t make it good art — but someone who thinks they are doing something that has a community content and they’re trying to communicate with us, with others who participate in this art in a way that somehow suggests or communicates something of real value that can’t be said or can’t be easily described. The art is dependent of the person who is seeking to declare it art.
    You see things that are supposedly masterpieces that a two year old could have done.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• Art is pretty much anything created by humans that makes us see the world in a different way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say that it is art, and it isn't. They took some time to paint the black square, and maybe some time to put the crackles in it (unless that is from age). So, if they put time and effort into creating this, it is art, just not the most art-like art.

0|1
    0|0
  • Its technically art but to me that is not art, i suppose art is creativity, but i don't like it when i see paintings with what i consider very little talent involved, yet selling for 1000s just because of the name attached to it, to me art is something i would say takes talent, time and effort to make. (not talking about that particular painting) but i do see some genuine rubbish in art galleries sometimes that i could do myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well that’s the idea of post modernism. It’s only art because Malevich can call it art. Or nailing a bowling pin to the wall being art because the creator called it art.

0|0
    0|0
    • Personally art should either make a statement or make a window into a setting, like Vermeer or (and only because im out of ideas) banksy.

• I don't think it's really am art.
    If it were, the dual coloured wall in an house is also art.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course its art. It has rhythm and a focal point. Just because its on a black canvas doesn't mean it isn't art.

0|0
    0|0
  • A way of expressing yourself, drawing, sport, dancing, ...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it's art.
    I don't like it and I don't understand it, but art has many forms.

0|0
    0|0
  • To make art you need skill and creativity so I’m not sure if that’s art or not

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't understand it but I respect people's creativity

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it's art

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• Everyone has a different definition of art. For me, art is something that makes you think, and how you interpret the art form matters. For instance I say music is art because everyone has a smog special to them, makes them think, and if you were to show someone this song they may not understand why you like it so much. This person may like Surrealism while you like Realism.

Art is what you make of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Art is anything. Good art is something you made your own. You could say that your phone is art, or your home is art, or your subway sandwich is art. It just matters what kind of art you define it as. "Art" art or art art.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have two criteria when determining if something is art.
    #1 It's purpose is to please others.

#2 A certain degree of skill or hard work is necessary to create it.

I don't think painting a black square required much skill or work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Art is obscured these days, art is not as it use to be, because nowadays it is used as a process to launder money. Thus no good artworks, just guy that draws shit and launderers putting a hefty price on it to move money from one place to another.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that looks like something you might find in a skip, outside a derelict factory.

0|1
    0|0
  • A naked girl.

0|0
    0|0
  • Barely art.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not art

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's just ugly ^^

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont care I hate art

0|0
    0|0
  • I let my heart deiced what is art not my brain. And that does not feel like art to me.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes