Do you think modern pop stations are stupid?

Last night I watched a video on YouTube talking about how modern pop music is getting worse over time. They all have the same similar sound and the majority of pop songs are written by these two men (forgot their names). Hardly any of the big stars such as Justin Bieber or Katy Perry write any of their own music. Major popular music companies also brainwash us into liking these songs. They play it constantly on the radio, in the supermarket, at the mall, it follows us everywhere. Personally I hate most pop music and prefer independent artists who write and record their own material. What's your take on this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I completely agree with you. There are almost no classics left out there. The classic songs are being hated on by most people, or they are afraid to tell people that they like an old song, because their friends won't be their friends no more. Songs have lost their meaning, sound always too familiar, made by the same people, the same accords, same rhythm etc. Mostly all in languages we don't speak, so we don't know how vulgair they actually are. Songs are always about the seven sins. More and more radio stations are automated, with no DJs. Songs on repeat, weird giveaways, tacky adverts. If you would say you listen to The Beatles, people declare you to be crazy, if you hate Justin Bieber, they declare you crazy. I rather use Spotify, but their modern music adverts annoy me, since I only listen to old music, between 1950s and 1990s. There's also too much advertisements on the radio too. Ratio between music and ads: 20 - 80. A trend that might make radio disappear in a couple of years.

1|0
    0|0
    • I hope pop radio dies lol I prefer the alternative and rock stations if I do listen to the radio... I mostly just listen to music on iHeartRadio or YouTube. There are tons of great artists out there but they go unrecognized because they don't appeal to the same group of people that the pop songs do which I think is mostly teenagers

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 23

• While not every single pop song is terrible, I agree there is a severe lack of quality. the bigger problem through, is the sexuality of these pop songs, and what their impressions are on younger people. As a whole, the pop music industry doesn't glorify genuinely following in love and living happier lives anymore. Everything is becoming more materialistic, like our culture.

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree with you there. Everything is about sex and young kids are getting these nasty messages in their heads and I believe that the sexuality in pop music is what's leading young kids to have sex so young.

• I don't listen to most modern pop music, unless it permeates through to the independent radio station I listen to. I wouldn't say that its all bad, there is still some good music being made in the pop genre. The problem is there is a lot of bad music being made at and promoted at the same time. I listen to a public radio station that plays indi-rock, folk, bluegrass, jazz, roots, etc, and the limited pop music I listen to is on that station.

1|0
    0|0
  • That is exactly why i dislike pop music. My Spotify playlist has a few of them that i find catchy or funny, but the majority is like the old songs that were in my childhood and some that aren't well known like "$uicideBoy$", M O O N or Tommy Cash

0|1
    0|0
    • I love $uicideBoy$ 😍

• I've heard of M O O N. Wasn't it a soundtrack performed by M o o n for the game Hotline Miami? The retro feeling, electronic music. It's great.

• Yep, it is. And its really nice~

• I don't care for pop music at all. On the radio, I usually tune in to a classic rock station, otherwise I mainly listen to metal, 90's alternative and also some blues, jazz, and classical.

1|1
    0|0
  • I am constantly bombarded with pop music at work. And it's the same 20 songs, over and over again.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's all horrible. !. Napster, Limewire, Pirate Bay, and then ITunes pretty much ruined the music industry. 2. Modern pop was kind of already in the shitter in the late 90's. Rap and alternative rock kept sales alive. It's no excuse for the laziness of these "artists". 3. Stations play what they're told to put into circulation, lol they suck the cock of Iheart or cumulus, etc. Independent media in general is the way, for now the future. It's a newer cycle..

0|0
    0|0
  • older and meaningful music is always there, if you want some energy and stuff, pop is there, i think it sounds good, even though lyrics ain't that interesting, but it sounds good which is why i listen to music for the most part.

0|0
    0|0
  • The pop world is made up of musicians and entertainers. Some are both, many are one or the other. Many can't really sing worth a damn, nor could they play anything decent, but they have personality and they put smiles on peoples' faces. They have a purpose, it's just that their overall contribution to music is minimal. Thank goodness for decent songwriters because it would be a lot worse without them.

I'm wary of being too pretentious about music because it can end up making you look a bit twatty. Some people always want to be alternative, to be advocates of some tiny niche by which they can claim to be original. The irony is that the more you try to deviate from the masses the more of a cliche you often become.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pop music is getting infinetly better over the last few years because it's literally all just edm with pop vocalists. Hip hop on the other hand, is now a bunch of watered down garbage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer to just throw on my local oldies station or my pandora. I'm a big fan of 50s and 60s music, especially rockabilly and early country.

0|1
    0|0
  • Totally agree. There used to be a lot of individual Artists all with different styles and music. And al talented!

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer independent as well. Or just listening to older music.

1|0
    0|0
  • I dont listen to the radio anymore, too much commercials, the music sounds bad and the commentators are not entertaining.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep its true because most the pop somgs are just plain lack in any morals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Today's pop is crap. I rather listen 80s pop , to be honest.

0|0
    0|0
  • Agreed.

1|0
    0|0
  • A lot of the new stuff is whack

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe just a bit lol...

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know
    I don't listen to them

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup..

0|0
    0|0
  • Agree

0|0
    0|0
  • all are daft

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I have bad news for you... Most of them oldies you like... Were written off in their day for the same reasons

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes