Which decade do you think was the best for video games?

Which decade do you think was the best for video games?
  • Which decade do you think was the best for video games?1970s: Everything is brand new and experimental
    Vote A
  • Which decade do you think was the best for video games?1980s: Huge improvements in quality and story
    Vote B
  • Which decade do you think was the best for video games?1990s: The first CD and 3D-graphics games arrive
    Vote C
  • Which decade do you think was the best for video games?2000s: Online play, mature stories, new control styles
    Vote D
  • Which decade do you think was the best for video games?2010s: The last seven-plus years have been the best ever
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess I'll go with 2000s. Technically I prefer late 90s, but if we're talking decades, the 2000s were better overall.
    Good balance between gameplay & story- gameplay has improved since then, but more & more games focus on a story-less multiplayer instead of a nice, long singleplayer mode. Giving games a real story only came up in the later 90s, at least that what I feel like.
    Graphics weren't as good as they are today, of course, but they were good enough to make it really enjoyable- even if 3D sprites have their own charm.
    & nowadays, the gaming industry has taken a path I'm not overly happy with- many people scream for open world/multiplayer/shooter & I don't like any of that. Open world gives me spasms, I'm not interested in multiplayer in the slightest & I've never understood the appeal of shooters. I was bored af. Maybe that's because they're meant to be played in teams with people, but here we're back at "I don't like multiplayer."

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the current decade is the best with the rise of indie gaming and how easy the game engines and steam has made making and releasing them. The most unique stuff is now coming from the indie scene and I think it's eventually going to force the mainstream gaming companies to make changes.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• late 90s early 2000s i love retro games.
    Though i like todays stuff aswell.

0|1
    0|0
  • I voted 2000’s because the GameCube has a special place in my heart.

0|3
    0|0
  • 2000s of course, so many cool products but the contents are disappointing. It’s not as age appropriate as it used to be.

0|1
    0|0
    • I will agree on the not age appropriate on the games of today versus the games of the 90’s.

• 90s I guess because it was what I played with... there is something comforting in playing with your childhood toys!

0|1
    0|0
  • I voted for the 1990, but mostly because I grew up with these and it has some nostalgic flair to me.

0|2
    0|0
  • 2000s

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 32

• Depends on what game genres you prefer.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would say split between the 70's and 80's but I voted for the 80's. When graphical capabilities were limited the games actually had to be extremely engaging and playable and often they were. The simplest of concepts became huge hits because they were just addictive. These days too many games rely too heavily on graphics at the expense of playability. There are so many modern games that you would rarely play more than once. Compare that to a game like Pacman.

0|2
    0|0
  • 1990s. System shock, Silent Hill, starcraft, and many other great games. Also the time of the N64. Unfortunately I was too young to experience these things when they came out.
    That said, I do enjoy modern games and the odd game of nethack (text based roguelike).

0|1
    0|0
  • Clearly, the newer the better, as graphics, convenience, and online play (among other aspects) improved and will continue to improve with time.

However, if I were to be biased by nostalgia, I would be praising the games of the early 2000s. Those were the years when the Pokemon franchise produced their best games (Platinum and HG/SS), and I was lucky enough to have been a starry-eyed pre-teen with a lot of free time when it happened.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would say the 2000’s. Mainly because of the advent of better technology in game development and design, and also the advent of flat panel television. This gave people like me with Epilepsy the ability to play games again without fear of having a seizure

0|1
    0|0
  • Obviously this last decade have produced the best games in my opinion.
    Old games are OK if you were there and appreciate that they were pretty good for their time.
    But for an 11 year old kid to play a game from the early 90's wouldn't be very entertaining for them.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's said that 2007 was and will probably stay the best year for gaming ever. There are literally videos on youtube and articles on the internet about why.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well the ps2 has great games so I voted the 2000's but that's probably nostalgia as that's what I played as a kid. Honestly games are getting better and I love VR so I think the next decade will be completely insane

0|1
    0|0
  • 90s and 2000s are great for nostalgia, but in all honesty, I think many modern Indie games are awesome while gaming companies are becoming more and more trash. Nothing will ever beat Subnautica for me, though.

0|1
    0|0
  • The 90's... the greatest system of all time, SNES, was in that decade so I had to go with the 90s. I'll never forget my childhood then and how excited I was by the SNES, even though I didn't own one until the summer of 1999!

0|1
    0|0
  • Xbox 360 and PS2 are definitely the high water mark for game consoles

0|1
    0|0
  • cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...5-b223-2a7268fc1601.jpg 2000s: Online play, mature stories, new control styles

0|1
    0|0
  • 1999: System Shock 2, Donkey Kong 64, Unreal Tournament, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 3, FF7, Pokemone Gold/Silver, GTA 2, Gran Turismo 2, Chrono Cross, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, etc...

0|1
    0|0
  • Early to mid-2000s, but only because I grew up during this period of time, and was playing video games such as Halo Combat Evolved, and The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

0|1
    0|0
  • All of them. But if I had to choose I'd pick the 90's mostly due to nostalgia.

0|1
    0|0
  • For gameplay the 2000's

For graphics, they will obviously keep getting better as time goes on.

0|1
    0|0
  • The best games and technology have come out in the last few years.

0|1
    0|0
  • Late 2000s to now, mature stories, great gameplay, the rise of steam

0|1
    0|0
  • Im old school. I liked the old stuff. but with the new graphics cards.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes