Am I Racist if I think White girls shouldn't have anything to do with Moana?

Like u White Girls, go ahead and take part in movies about Whites and Blacks etc even some Hispanics but leave Polynesian movies for us Brown people. Anytime i see a White girl covering the song "How far, i'll go " it just looks so wrong to me. ! Leave our movie, our people and culture. It's ok if other Brown people support it like parts of Latin America, Asia, etc but not u. Don't take it the wrong way but u have your movies we have ours. Am i Racist if i think White girls shouldn't have anything to do with Moana ?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Ah no, there is no segregation with this kind of thing and who are you to tell people what they are and aren’t? What they’re allowed to connect or associate with and what they need to keep their hands off?
    I think it’s beautiful that people are able to learn some of the Polynesian culture, this movie was so special to my family because it was something they could relate to that celebrated their history and beliefs that others could share and understand. Same with Coco, it’s beautiful to show an unfamiliar culture in a way that others can visually relate to and understand.
    Who are you to tell me I can’t enjoy something because I’m white?

3|3
    0|0
    • You are a white girl, u have had all the movies for years, people make u feel the wolrd belongs to u. I want u to knw many men don't want u girls. This is for our people our girls. Beautiful polynesian girls this is our movie. Stop trying to make it yours.

• Show All
    • sorry for offending you but if ur not white then don't take part for these people.

• You’re not offending me. To offend me I’d have to care about your opinion and you’ve proven that has no value due to your inability to understand the point I’ve made

Most Helpful Guy

• People like you are the ones creating division in our societies. Why can't we celebrate our cultures together like civilized people?

3|4
    0|0
    • no why must we? White Girls shouldn't always be the center of attention, this is for brown people and people of the islands. They have enough for themselves.

• Show All
    • oh i see ur point. I can't help it it's how i feel.

• Sorry that you're being racist Jude.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Liking it is fine, cool even. Learning respectfully about the culture and the Maoi myths is good. I think.

It's when they start adding like ~quirky~ "Polynesian looks" to their wardrobe or dressing as the character (especially with brown face!! Man fuck anyone who pulls this shit!!) That it's a problem.

I'm a white girl though so obvs I'm not the authority but I liked Moana and I think it was cool they dubbed it into Māori to get kids who maybe hadn't wanted to learn the language interested.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think you are. No need to be like that, especially since you have prolly seen all the "white" Disney movies. People can learn about others through movies which is good, because they understand a lot of their backgrounds.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not only racist, but also dumb and possibly trolling.

1|3
    0|0
  • There is no doubt that you are.

0|0
    0|0
    • sorry but i just am not a big fan of white girls, our women get one movie for the world to see them but noo you need to hogg this 2 ?

• Yes u are

0|3
    0|0
  • ahahaha :D

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 25

• Wow, you missed the writer whole point. This fantastic movie helped my daughter deal with her unspoken anger in ways that nothing else could. Even you as a man can relate to Moana's struggle if you actually go inside and admit little good ever comes from hate or anger. Do you have any dreams?

0|2
    0|0
    • yea i do but what do u mean?

• Show All
    • By the way, my purpose in life... is to aid good men such as yourself over these hurdles in life. Don't let Hollywood make you feel anything. You were born to be so much more than a storyteller can write. Your love of honesty proves that.

• Back at you bro!

• I didn't realise there was a race criteria to sing a song also here's the director of Moana (one of):
    images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...@@._V1_.jpg

0|3
    0|0
  • So in your whole bit racial background is the very defining factor which decides whether somebody is allowed to sing a song or have anything to do with Moana.

Firstly, I think it is indeed racist. Racism is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as "A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races". You clearly fit that perfectly well, so yes you're racist.

Secondly, it's idiotic. Nobody is stealing your people or culture when they are singing an innocent song featured in Moana, a film produced by Disney.

You also mention they can take part in movies about whites, blacks and even Hispanics
    The person who wrote and produced the song "How far I'll go", Lin-Manuel Miranda, is Hispanic. Therefore they are effectively singing a song produced by an Hispanic, which you are supposedly perfectly fine with.

Quite frankly, the segregationist attitude prevalent in this whole question is just retarded.

Then again, don't whine about a lack of diversity or multiculturalism anywhere else considering you're against it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dunno- would it be racist for a white guy to throw a hissy-fit and claim that non-white girls shouldn't have anything to do with Frozen? You tell me.

0|2
    0|0
  • What makes a creative artwork someone else made yours? The color of your skin affords you no ownership of such things. You didn't write, direct, cast, produce, or lift a finger to create a movie. I'm expecting your next post to ask white people to get to the back of the bus and not use your drinking fountain 🙄

0|0
    0|0
  • I love "Don't fukin' do x it because it belongs to one specific race" shit.

You can't tell people what they can and can not do. I'm going to dreadlock my hair, what you gonna do about it?

0|3
    0|0
  • If the characters had white skin I would support you but Disney did a great job with Moana.

Those type of movies apport to interculturality, stop saying only brown people should have make it. Nazis doesn't think any different than you.

0|0
    0|0
  • So people can't sing songs now? Yeah you're racist. Go back to your safe space!

0|2
    0|0
  • Disney was created by a white man tho so the movies are obviously for white people only.

1|1
    0|0
  • Movies aren't for specific races. Even movies about specific races that pander to specific races can be looked at by others.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, this is a different culture. Unless the particular people know it and live it.. Not every big actor should get the role. Just like the cast of Black Panther.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, a good way to Tell if you're racist is to see how different your opinion is if you ignore race entirely. In the case, yeaaaa u r a bit m8

0|2
    0|0
  • As long as in your mindset there are white, black, brown, yellow, etc. people, you ARE a racist

0|2
    0|0
  • Actually calling for the revival of segregation, huh.

0|0
    0|0
  • I bet you cry about there being a lack of diversity and multiculturalism too

0|1
    0|0
  • "but u have your movies we have ours."

Sad mentality: you aren't different from them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree totally. I have the same thought when James Bond was going to be black. Its not racist, its just weird changing established characters

0|0
    0|0
  • Ifmyou have a problem with something or someone based solely on race then you are a racist. Period.

0|0
    0|0
  • thats pretty racist

0|2
    0|0
  • Ay that's funny

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes