Rate this Comedian out of 5: Steve Martin?

Steve Martin came to public notice in the 1960s as a writer for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, and later as a frequent guest on The Tonight Show. In the 1970s, Martin performed his offbeat, absurdist comedy routines before packed houses on national tours. Since the 1980s, having branched away from comedy, Martin has become a successful actor, as well as an author, playwright, pianist, and banjo player. On his comedy albums, Martin's stand-up is self-referential and sometimes self-mocking. It mixes philosophical riffs with sudden spurts of "happy feet", banjo playing with balloon depictions of concepts like venereal disease, and the "controversial" kitten juggling (he is a master juggler; the "kittens" were stuffed animals). His style is off-kilter and ironic and sometimes pokes fun at stand-up comedy traditions.

Martin stopped doing stand-up comedy in 1981 to concentrate on movies and did not return for 35 years. About this decision, he states, "My act was conceptual. Once the concept was stated, and everybody understood it, it was done... It was about coming to the end of the road. There was no way to live on in that persona. I had to take that fabulous luck of not being remembered as that, exclusively. You know, I didn't announce that I was stopping. I just stopped."

• 5/5 The best comedian ever!
  • 4/5 very funny
  • 3/5 sorta funny
    Vote C
  • 2/5 not very funny
    Vote D
  • 1/5 worst comedian ever
    Vote E
  • Who's Steve Martin?
    Vote F
Results of previous polls:

Dave Chappelle: 3.9/5
George Carlin: 3.9/5
Bob Hope: 3.5/5
Norm Macdonald: 3.4/5
Don Rickles: 3.3/5
Tim Allen: 3.3/5
Jim Gaffigan: 3.2/5
David Spade: 3.1/5
Dane Cook: 3/5
Rosanne Barr: 2.2/5

618

Most Helpful Girl

• Seriously thought it was about to say Steve Buscemi. rippp haha.
    Steve Martin has always looked like a cool guy to me. He looks serious. But yet he's genuinely funny. Always seemed like a cool guy.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a big fan of the bulk of his work. Steve Martin's stand-up was about 50/50 to my tastes and not. I can't think of a single movie of his I disliked, and generally consider his appearance in any movie or TV show a boon. I enjoyed many of his SNL skits. Though I couldn't know his writing on content or style alone, I know his contribution to comedy is positive and meaningful at every level. Comics are the harshest critics. If other comics revere you, you've got a seat in heaven, and many comics truly revere Steve Martin; for good reason, in my opinion.