Why don’t most people know who Daniel Day Lewis is and his career?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Last thing he did was there will be blood, he's not in loads, just high quality

0|0
    0|0
    • Last thing he did was Phantom Thread. He was in 3 films since There will be Blood. He said he will retire now though.

• That was his second Oscar winning role. He’s one a third since then for Lincoln. Lincoln wasn’t one of my favourite. There Will Be Blood was one of my top two or three favorites of his.

But, yes he says he is retiring after Phantom Thread which makes me quite sad.

Most Helpful Girl

• I had a professor who worked with him. Said he was almost unbearably pretentious. Most people in Hollywood aren't actually fond of method actors. You should be able to do your job naturally without building and living in a 1600s style house. That's why it's called acting.

0|0
    1|0
    • I think you should be able to do your job the way it works for you to be honest. I totally get why method acting can be a drag to others, but it is also not up to others to prescribe actors how they should do their job.

• You can’t claim to know a method actor as a person from sharing a set with one. Method actors don’t break character while on set and some don’t break character at all on or off set until wrap.

Day Lewis is reporter to not break haracter on or off set whilst filming which is why he makes so few films.

Your professor sounds utterly unprofessional.

I get how annoying it would be to work with him as you can’t build rapport or know him as a person because he is stuck in a character. But I also think if you are a professor of acting you should be able to understand it’s a character your meeting and not the man.

People want to say they know him and get upset when they are deprived of that experience. As the previous commenter said, it isn’t up to other to judge how he does his job.

Homeland had a lot of British actors on it and they all spoke in their American tongue on set. Otherwise it would be hard not to slip.

• She was a producer actually so he wasn't whatever character in those meetings. And I'm going to take the word of a professional with many years of experience over what somebody on the internet thinks a method actor is

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• There Will Be Blood 😊 yeah he really gets into a role when acting

1|0
    0|0
  • He had a career?

1|0
    0|0
  • He's not recognizable in most of his roles

1|0
    0|0
    • This is a good point. I guess sometimes we care more for the actor that plays themselves over and over like Tom Cruise or something than an actor who transforms into a character.

• He is good, isn't he retired

1|0
    0|0
    • He says he’s retired. We’ll see. I bet he comes out of retirement for one last role assuming he lived to be 80 or older.

• Cuz they’re prob too young to know who he is

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 1

• Of course I know The Last of the Mohicans.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes