Have you ever mourned the death of a celebrity?

I don't usually feel any attachment to people I've never met, but I was genuinely upset by the deaths of Michael Jackson, Prince, and Paul Walker. I didn't cry or take time off work, but I was legitimately saddened. My cousin's wife cried when she heard Dale Earnhardt had died. Then she took the next day off work. She'd never met him or anything, just watched him race; like most people.

4|1

Most Helpful Girl

• The day I found out Leonard Nimoy died was a really bad day. I was a fucking wreck, and i was a wreck again when Carrie Fisher died.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Mmmm. . . Michael Jackson, Prince, Mary Tyler Moore, Gene Wilder, Robin Williams, etc.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 31

• Michael Jackson and Kurt Cobain are my favorite singers and they were amazing people. Even though one of them died before I was born and one of them died when I was only around seven, I often feel sad to know that they are prematurely gone.

0|2
    0|0
  • I've never mourned the death of any celebrity , but I've felt sadness reading about certain celebrity deaths. Usually due to the tragic circumstances surrounding their death , the manor in which they died or if they died an untimely death

My eyes filled up with tears watching Michael Jackson's funeral , but not coz he was dead. It was after seeing the heartwrenching speech of his daughter Paris , at Jackson's funeral. I felt so much sadness for her. It was so very sad to see her in so much pain & grief after her father died.

2|1
    0|0
  • Maybe not mourned exactly, but I was very affected to learn about Robin Williams' death. I've watched plenty of his movies and he's made me laugh and smile a lot. He seemed like such a sweet, funny, deep and intelligent guy and things he has said have inspired me. So have some of his characters. The circumstances of his death were tragic and knowing I wouldn't be seeing more of him all of a sudden definitely had an impact - even if I didn't know him personally.

0|1
    0|0
  • The first time I did was with Heath Ledger. Tragic what happened to him. Stupid but tragic. The Dark Knight would have been a cornerstone in his career. I felt like my got ripped out when Alan Rickman died, and when Harper Lee died.
    But I still cry thinking about Chester Bennington. That man saved my life with his words so many times. That was a true loss to not only the music industry, but also to people who suffer from mental illness.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I'm having a hard time mourning family members, because I feel I'm not getting emotional enough. I definitely don't feel anything for celebrities. I have no idea what they were like as a person and I have no attachment to them.

0|1
    0|0
  • MJ, Aaliyah, Paul Walker, Heath Ledger. Not just because I respected their work, but because their deaths were especially tragic circumstances.

1|1
    0|0
  • I was really upset when Steve Irwin and Robin Williams died.

2|3
    0|0
  • I don’t know if Billy Graham counts as a celebrity, but I can say I did cry when he died, because he had impacted so many people.

And addressing I think what is the real question being asked here, is it abnormal to grieve or mourn for the death of a celebrity?

I think it’s completely normal. Even if we never knew those people personally they still impacted our lives in anyway, from a touching song lyric to triumphing over similar circumstances to the ones in which we’re struggling.

This is just my personal thoughts, but it could be different for everyone.

0|1
    0|0
    • I never fail to say exactly what I'm trying to say.

• I understand. I tend to read too far into things, sorry.

• You're not the only one. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Pet peeve, I guess.

• When little Peep died, I was so hurt. I miss him everyday, his music may not be to everyones taste and his lifestyle may not have been the best and I get that. It's cliche but his music helps me feel good, his lyrics help the loners like us. I miss him so much :(

1|0
    0|0
  • Well , he didn't die he was was left in coma for a few years and his health is still a secret some days he is still in coma some say he is being treated but he is still very injured and unconscious.. his name is Michael Schumacher the Formula One Legent/Star.

I was very upset... he didn't deserve what happened and what is still happening , he is truly amazing a kind person and helped many many people in need. I will never hear someone in this lifetime as him with his great big heart and what good deeds he gave to this world !
    I hope he is in peace so yeah only Michael Schumacher broke my 💔 1st and last no one is going to replace him ❤️

Michael Schumacher♥️

0|1
    0|0
  • I remember being devastated when Steve Irwin died. I was obsessed with the Crocodile Hunter so it hit me pretty hard.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have before. like with musicians that die that have been true influences for me. Paul Walker's death was a really sad one too

0|1
    0|0
  • Michael Jackson for sure. I grew up with his music. He was like part of my family lol.

1|1
    0|1
  • Christina Grimmie was my influencer throughout my life we always looked up to her music her life looks and it makes me sad that she was taken away the what she was

0|1
    0|0
  • The only celebrity's death that ever made me cry was Michael Joseph Jackson.

1|1
    0|0
  • I mourned the death of Jim Lahey from Trailer Park Boys.

0|1
    0|0
  • No offense. But no, I felt for their families . since I didn't know them personally, I couldn't mourn for them. they might of been famous but they were still strangers. they were talented people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I still cry about Alan Rickman's death cus he was the greatest

2|1
    0|0
  • Not mourned, I was very sad when chester bennington died but that's about it

0|1
    0|0
  • When Robin Williams died i cried. I loved him sooooo much

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 23

• It hit me very hard when Satoru Iwata died. Not on the date I noticed it but two years after that. I was writing about him on the Miiverse, a not longer existing social media platform of Nintendo, and hat to tear sometimes during research about is life.
    Often you meet the best people when they are dead... 😔

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes a few. The ones that impacted me he most were probably Nate Dogg and Jonghyun
    Even though I wasn't a fan of the second it made me think a lot and it's very sad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPokr7jIhJshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daApgp6p6TM

0|1
    0|0
  • I didn't cry for any but was really sad for : Michael Jackson's entertainment is just beyond almost anyone else so MJ.

Bruce and Brandon Lee. I might not of been alive but they where both phenomenal and also eerily tragic death's.

Carrie Fisher, so talented and tough but seemed classy and nice as well.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yup! Jim Croce, Phil Ochs, Tommy Makem, Liam Clancy, Tom Clancy, Paddy Clancy, Tim Heart, Michal Dunford, John Tout, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Peter Banks, Cris Squire, Tom Petty and Leonard Nimoy.

These are the celeb losses that broke my heart. And I'll bet you've never even heard of most of these people...

0|1
    0|0
  • For me it was Tupac because he spoke about things from the heart. When a person is down and they hear a song You Have to Keep Your Head Up can make you keep your head up when you are down.

1|1
    0|0
  • There is only one celeb that I miss, Christina Grimmie. I still can't belive that she is gone.
    No. That's not a tear. It's just something in my eye...

1|1
    0|0
  • Eh. When certain celebs or people important in the field pass away, I usually do a movie marathon. I’m generally not devastated - often, it’s kind of expected, or at least not out of the realm of possibility. Like someone has been sick for a while, then passes... or someone is very old... and passes away.

I try to do movie marathons if they’re that influential.

I probably felt the most sad or affected by Ray Harryhausen. I met him once. He critiqued my work. We talked for a few minutes, and I got to show him some of my work.

He was a big influence of why I’m into movies. He was a big influence on my childhood. So that felt a little more “personal.” But even that wasn’t super shocking (he was 92); so every year I do a movie marathon in honor of him. If I go out with friends involved in animation or movies, and it’s around his birthday or date of death, then I make a quick toast to him. That’s about it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was saddened by the ones you mentioned but it’s not like I got emotional or sick about it, just sad that I won’t see any more movies with Paul walker and no more music from Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston

0|0
    0|0
  • Never.

I probably will, when de niro would be gone.

1|1
    0|0
  • I haven't ever mourned... but... I've felt sad when BB King died, though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't say mourned but I was genuinely saddened by the deaths of Roger Moore and David Bowie.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thought it was sad about Paul Walker because he seemed like a good guy and not the usual Hollywood phoney.
    Micheal Jackson was a peadophille.

0|0
    1|0
  • Not really went to a tribute of Robin Williams but never had a celebrity who like enough to mourn for

0|0
    0|0
  • Robin Williams.

2|3
    0|0
    • I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't include him. His death saddened me too. I wasn't a huge fan of Phil Hartman, but the way he died is tragic and I'm certain his wife wasn't punished harshly enough.

• Yes I have, Chris Cornell last year really got me down

0|0
    0|0
  • When pervy Sage died I cried

0|1
    0|0
  • When itachi uchiha died, I cried

0|2
    0|0
  • I was saddened but not to the point of tears.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was upset when Castro died

0|1
    0|1
  • Ronin Williams

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes